Back to forum

How regularly do you train?

Author Comments

Jen

Regular

39 posts

Friday 9th April 2004 at 00:09

Hey just a quick question, you know when you've got a fight comming up how often do each of you train on average? Do you train more than when you don't have a fight or what?

andy

Resident

729 posts

Friday 9th April 2004 at 09:49

I train everyday, BJJ 3/4 times a week in the gym every day. When a comp is coming up I alter my BJJ training to be more competition orientated and change my gym workout, more cardio (sprints etc) and lots of light weights to build muscle enurance.

thats about 1000x more than what Rob does!!!!! pain is temporary, pride is forever. www.roycegraciesheffield.com

"no weapon formed against me shall prosper"

Jen

Regular

39 posts

Friday 9th April 2004 at 11:13

Oh right cause I was under the impression that training meant going to the pub when you said you were going training and getting mortal when your fight's in two weeks. Thanks for clearing that up though.

So I mean if you're at home by yourself what's the best way to train and get urself back into shape (keeping in mind you've not got lots of equipment and you can't afford a gym)? I like my keep fit but I never really know what sort of things to do.

andy

Resident

729 posts

Friday 9th April 2004 at 12:26

plus i haven't drunk for 2 months and wont be drinking till the night of the 25th when i celebrate my victory and possible first murder on the mat. Ha ha ha

check out www.crossfit.com pain is temporary, pride is forever. www.roycegraciesheffield.com

steve

Resident

217 posts

Friday 9th April 2004 at 21:58

Good luck on the 25th Andy.

PS. how long has it taken to get to the grade you are at. Are you blue 2 stripes or 3 stripes? If you don't mind me asking what is your progression history in terms of timescale between the grades, how much training did you/do you put in, what level of instruction did it take i.e. how often with Royce, others, time overseas (training holidays) etc.

I'm interested for my own ends really cause I've recently started training with Gracie Barra Manchester as you know and would like to be able to get to a decent level before I get too old (36 this year and it gets harder every week!).

Steve.

"Its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog"

"Its not the size of the dog i

andy

Resident

729 posts

Saturday 10th April 2004 at 10:33

4 Stripes !!!!!!! been training Bjj for 5 years pain is temporary, pride is forever. www.roycegraciesheffield.com

Dave

Addict

183 posts

Saturday 10th April 2004 at 13:47

Jen you can't beat good old bodyweight excercises such as press-ups, sit-ups, calf raises(with or without added weight), squats, pull-ups and dips. Also running and sprints are good and if you don't want to do it alone get a training partner or go to a circuit class at a local sports or fitness centre. Also swimming is great as it works every muscle in the body just like grappling on the mats does but without all the stress.

You dont need money to be fit or a gym, just improvise and use chairs for dips and door frames for pull-up etc.
Postman Pat, Postman Pat, Postman Pat and his Black and white Catttt. Early in the mornin when the nah nah deedle dat da do!!!!! Ah fuct it right up

Postman Pat, Postman Pat, Post

Jen

Regular

39 posts

Sunday 11th April 2004 at 14:51

What's the best sort of exercises for toning up your stomach?

andy

Resident

729 posts

Sunday 11th April 2004 at 22:12

sit ups pain is temporary, pride is forever. www.roycegraciesheffield.com

Jen

Regular

39 posts

Monday 12th April 2004 at 23:23

A simple answer to a simple question eh? (Words quoted from a wise person!)

Not exactly the answer I had in mind but thanks for the input.

andy

Resident

729 posts

Tuesday 13th April 2004 at 09:21

well, if you knew the answer you wanted why ask the question? pain is temporary, pride is forever. www.roycegraciesheffield.com

Robsco

1319 posts

Tuesday 13th April 2004 at 18:24

I think Jen was after a bit more detail, like crunches, side-crunches, etc.

Mind you Jen, I've already shown you loads of exercises to do, so it was a bit of a pointless question. --------- Robsco! 'I'm sure your style is impressive on other planets, however, your weak link is that this is Earth'

The Admin Guy

Jen

Regular

39 posts

Tuesday 13th April 2004 at 18:51

No all the ones you've shown me are really painful! Besides they didn't work. So don't be so cheeky mr or no more Jen for you ;)

Robsco

1319 posts

Tuesday 13th April 2004 at 21:20

Well exercising ain't a walk in the park.

I've shown you what you need, and how to do them right (how I've been taught and read/seen).

Just like doing 1 press-up was impossible for the first week, it just takes time. --------- Robsco! 'I'm sure your style is impressive on other planets, however, your weak link is that this is Earth'

The Admin Guy

Jen

Regular

39 posts

Wednesday 14th April 2004 at 00:17

Yes dad :-p well I'm sorry for repeating my question it was obviously completely pointless I should have trusted you from the start. That better?

Also sorry to Andy for wasting ur time.

andy

Resident

729 posts

Wednesday 14th April 2004 at 08:50

never listen to Rob. pain is temporary, pride is forever. www.roycegraciesheffield.com

Jen

Regular

39 posts

Wednesday 14th April 2004 at 12:27

That's a bit of a mean thing to say he does make sense occasionally you have to give him that atleast hehe.

Bassmonger

Resident

198 posts

Thursday 15th April 2004 at 08:37

I've never seen it myself. He must just pretend to make sense when talking the ladies (and schoolgirls) into bed.

I bet he told you sex was the best exercise for you didn't you? Why would that hurt? It's like the dentist says- open wide, it'll be over in no time, and you won't feel a thing. "I like my jiu-jitsu the same way as I like pubic hair on a lady"

DEFEATED IN AL

Bassmonger

Resident

198 posts

Thursday 15th April 2004 at 08:37

But...er, yeah...sit ups. "I like my jiu-jitsu the same way as I like pubic hair on a lady"

DEFEATED IN AL

the_little_dragon

Regular

33 posts

Thursday 15th April 2004 at 11:11

I train 7 days a week-there`s nopint in considering yourself to be a martial artist or an athletic performer if everyday is not going to prove to be a challenge. I don`t know the aims and goals of everyone but if you want to be the best you can you must continuously strive to better yor body, tecniques and thinking.
Remember-Training is an emotional experience as well as a physical attribute. If you are not emotionally involved in your training, you might as well forget it.