Back to forum

PUSH UPS

Author Comments

the_little_dragon

Regular

33 posts

Tuesday 13th April 2004 at 22:27

I`m doing a survey on general physiology of the human anatomy. Could everyone please tell me what is the maximum amount of push ups you can do in one go. With that I mean chest-to-floor and back up. Properly done. Cheers.

andy

Resident

729 posts

Wednesday 14th April 2004 at 08:51

97 pain is temporary, pride is forever. www.roycegraciesheffield.com

"no weapon formed against me shall prosper"

Sweaty Gi

120 posts

Wednesday 14th April 2004 at 10:36

Don't make me sweat, you won't like me when I'm sweaty!

Bassmonger

Resident

198 posts

Thursday 15th April 2004 at 08:32

I usually do one in one go. But I sometimes repeat this many times in quick succession.

Isn't this a bit pointless without asking people's body size, weight, height etc? "I like my jiu-jitsu the same way as I like pubic hair on a lady"

DEFEATED IN AL

Dave

Addict

183 posts

Thursday 15th April 2004 at 13:32

Your right bassmonger there is no mention of important factors like size and weight! Also ive seen all types of press-ups in my time and about 60% done arent proper press-ups anyway. Besides when someone puts a big figure down how can you believe them? Unless of course your name is Mr Sandy Holt the great Thai boxer in Bolton who holds multiple world records for press-ups.

I'm very good at knocking out push-ups but im no hero and to be honest i dont count, i just keep going untill i cant be bothered to do any more or im too knackered to go on. People get caught up in numbers weights and distances and its the wrong attitude.

Sorry, ive been no help too your survey whatsoever. Postman Pat, Postman Pat, Postman Pat and his Black and white Catttt. Early in the mornin when the nah nah deedle dat da do!!!!! Ah fuct it right up

Postman Pat, Postman Pat, Post

the_little_dragon

Regular

33 posts

Thursday 15th April 2004 at 15:17

I tend to disagree with yu guys saying things about height, weight. I mean if you are fit what difference would it make to you. A push up simply measures the dynamic strength (ability to exert a force repeatedly) and that is my question. How many can people do. Mike Tyson and Lennox Lewis are big, tall yet can do multiple sets as well as Bruce Lee who was 5` 7" by 135 lb at his peak. The bottom line is either you are fit enough to do them or can`t.

andy

Resident

729 posts

Thursday 15th April 2004 at 16:04

what you saying Dave, you don't believe my 97, shit, neither do I. pain is temporary, pride is forever. www.roycegraciesheffield.com

Dave

Addict

183 posts

Friday 16th April 2004 at 14:05

I disagree with yu little D. Ofcourse if your fit enough to do push-ups then obviously you can do them, Duh. However Size and weight does play into the equation! A very fit small guy will always beat a very fit big guy when it comes to doing push-ups as weight due to gravity has a big effect, in that extra stress is exerted on the muscles and in time takes its toll on the body.
I'm not saying big guys cant do loads of push-ups as i know they can i'm saying size and weight does have an effect and smaller dudes have an advantage.
You mention mike tyson and bruce lee and yes both are(sorry were) super fit but bruce would(if they met each other at the peak of their fitness) piss all over tyson if they had to get down and see who could bash out the most press-ups.

Size does count and if you can find a large fit guy who can break the great thai boxer Mr Sandy Holt's(sandy is a small but solid guy) press-up records then i'll listen to yu. Untill then i think we'll agree to disagree. Peace...

P.S Hey Andy chill out fella i meant my last post in general not aimed at yu. I'm the kind of guy who believes something when i see it for myself as after all i could say i can do 1001 push-ups and no-one would ever know if i was telling the truth or not, so no worries. Postman Pat, Postman Pat, Postman Pat and his Black and white Catttt. Early in the mornin when the nah nah deedle dat da do!!!!! Ah fuct it right up

andy

Resident

729 posts

Friday 16th April 2004 at 17:40

Dave, I wasn't getting offended I was agreeing with you, I picked 97 off the top of my head. pain is temporary, pride is forever. www.roycegraciesheffield.com

the_little_dragon

Regular

33 posts

Friday 16th April 2004 at 21:53

Maybe Dave, or maybe not. Bur aren`t bigger guys going to be more stronger (in most cases) than smaller guys. Bigger, more powerful arms obviously mean more muscle thus more strength.

Dave

Addict

183 posts

Saturday 17th April 2004 at 11:52

Yeah no worries Andy.

Little D i agree about the bigger muscles more strength thing but when your doing lots of push-ups in one go a thing called endurance comes in2 play and with the effect of gravity a fit big dude cant compete against a fit little dude plain and simple. Yeah bigger muscles means more strength for lifting heavy weights but its simply no good for endurance. Push-ups are a combination of strength and endurance and smaller fit guys have the edge.

Like ive said lets agree 2 disagree and leave it at that. Postman Pat, Postman Pat, Postman Pat and his Black and white Catttt. Early in the mornin when the nah nah deedle dat da do!!!!! Ah fuct it right up

the_little_dragon

Regular

33 posts

Saturday 17th April 2004 at 12:05

Hmmmm, well,I`m going to give it a try and compete against some bigger, fitter guys than me and see-I`m only 19 myself, and about 140 pounds so I`m going to find some big guys down at my gym and have a little competition with them myself.

Dave

Addict

183 posts

Saturday 17th April 2004 at 14:44

You on your own competing against a couple of guys in a gym doesnt exactly class as a proper large scale test to come up with the correct answers but hey go ahead an try man whatever floats your boat.
It aint gonna change my point of view. Postman Pat, Postman Pat, Postman Pat and his Black and white Catttt. Early in the mornin when the nah nah deedle dat da do!!!!! Ah fuct it right up

the_little_dragon

Regular

33 posts

Saturday 17th April 2004 at 16:44

Laugh out loud-don`t worry Dave it`s just a question, I`m not trying to change anyones views-incidently how many push ups can you do yourself? (regardless of height, weight, etc)

Dave

Addict

183 posts

Sunday 18th April 2004 at 13:08

lol HA HA HA HA HE HE HE HA HA. I know its just a question.

Stats: weight '199 pounds', height- 'a midges dick short of 6"', fitness level- 'not very', amount of push-ups in one go-'just had a bash now and i have a hang-over so havent done very well plus my girlfriend wouldnt move from underneath me and i lost count due to lack of concentration- 0' Postman Pat, Postman Pat, Postman Pat and his Black and white Catttt. Early in the mornin when the nah nah deedle dat da do!!!!! Ah fuct it right up

The Cleaner

4 posts

Monday 19th April 2004 at 17:35

The Cleaner

4 posts

Monday 19th April 2004 at 17:36

If i can do 40 push ups does that mean i should be able to do 20 on one arm?

the_little_dragon

Regular

33 posts

Monday 19th April 2004 at 22:45

(for the cleaner)

errrrr, you could try do do 20 on 1 arm if 40 is your max on 2-I doubt it though-give it a shot if u want though

Jen

Regular

39 posts

Monday 19th April 2004 at 23:17

Do ya know what little dragon dude? I think he was taking the piss.

Robsco

1319 posts

Tuesday 20th April 2004 at 05:25

Mind the language people, remember we've got a few younger people visiting this site. --------- Robsco! 'I'm sure your style is impressive on other planets, however, your weak link is that this is Earth'

The Admin Guy