Back to forum

learning first kata (jujitsu)

Author Comments

Petter

1 posts

Thursday 2nd September 2004 at 18:48

I wouldn't listen to a word half of these ones are sayin. Kata's might not be the most important part of ju jitsu but if done correctly they help to improve your blocking and perfect it so that you get into the habit of doing the blocks correctly. It does help if you know what type of attack you are defending against though.

The more you put into jujitsu, the more you'll get out of it.
Keep at it Petter

Petter

TrapDoor

Regular

20 posts

Monday 6th September 2004 at 23:47

hey guys. Im gokyu now! Thumbs up for me heh.

Anyway I got my first kata awhile back, though I'm still perfecting a few stance issues and breathing pattarns.

I'm now onto my second kata, itchikata. While sukikata only used blocks and punches, this one has kicks and some basic ways to get out of a wrist grab.

Falthor

10 posts

Wednesday 22nd September 2004 at 21:57

I'm not sure who said it but I have to agree.

In a street fighting sense a Kata Is useless, however, Kata was no t developed to be used in a Street Fighting sense; it was developed as a training tool.

It's a way to perfect things. I think I said that the ability to adapt outside of the Taught Box is what makes a good MA student, and this is exactly it. You take the Kata that teaches you fluidity, poise, and proper technique, and adapt it to whatever you need it to be.

And no offense to anyone out there doing BJJ, but there is no such thing as a superior Martial Art, this is a debate that will never end, but one thing I know for sure, it's not the art, it's the artist. IF the Gracies had studied Aikido as diligently as they did Ju-Jitsu then they would be just as good out there.

I hate to say it as well, but BJJ doesn't get a bad rap because we're all afraid of it, it get a bad rap from the few practitioners that walk around and tout themselves as indestructible because they know BJJ. I've met many students at MMA and Submissions tournaments in the past that told me flat out since I practiced Judo there was no way I would beat them since their art was superior, I tapped out almost every single one. I don't fear BJJ, in fact I learn for its styling and make the Martial Arts I Train in, and used to train in, my own.

Student not art, it's what I've come to believe.

For a final part here I think someone put it very well in that BJJ itself has its shortcomings too. Bruce Lee in his book put it best, but the main idea was this; no one art is the answer, take what works for you from as many arts as you can learn, and throw the rest away. Be ready to come back for what you threw away as different ideas and ideologies form about your own self defense style however, no art, and no technique is absolutely useless, it just needs to find the right place.

Bassmonger

Resident

198 posts

Thursday 23rd September 2004 at 15:39

Why do people keep saying that all the BJJ dudes are mouthing off about how great they are? I haven't seen any of that on here. Having done both traditional and BJJ I know which I PREFER, but that's as far as I'll go with that argument.

Having said that, some judo guys came to our club once, and I tapped all the black belts I rolled with, but that doesn't prove anything. It just depends on the individual(s) doesn't it?

Plus I'm great, BJJ is better than all TMAs, judo is gay etc etc etczzzz "I like my jiu-jitsu the same way as I like pubic hair on a lady"

DEFEATED IN AL

steve

Resident

217 posts

Friday 24th September 2004 at 22:00

Bass,

I was one of those judo lads you mention.

Stand up (without punching) they would have creamed you, dragged you all around the mat and picked you up and dumped you, whereas you would not have been able to take any of them to ground.

On the ground they were playing at BJJ for the first time, using judo rules, where a turtle onto front results in Ref. calling a break, facebars are illegal, as are leg locks, spine locks, neck cranks, wrist locks, etc, etc.

So before writing off Judo as inferior to BJJ, go have a do at Judo at a good standard club, playing to their rules...best of luck and book the next day off work to recover! "Its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog"

"Its not the size of the dog i

Robsco

1319 posts

Friday 24th September 2004 at 23:36

I don't think Bass was saying Judo was pants, but if you visit a BJJ club, you don't 'play' by Judo rules, surely that would've been obvious. --------------------------------------------- Robsco! - The Site Administrator 'I'm sure your style is impressive on other planets, however, your weak link is that this is Earth'

The Admin Guy

Bassmonger

Resident

198 posts

Saturday 25th September 2004 at 11:56

Will someone please explain the concept of humour to some of the forum users? OK, my 'joke' wasn't funny, but it was meant to be. Anyway, I don't doubt I would've got my arse kicked under judo rules, that's pretty obvious. Quick tip though- the scarf hold doesn't work in BJJ.

You lot planning on coming back anytime? "I like my jiu-jitsu the same way as I like pubic hair on a lady"

DEFEATED IN AL

steve

Resident

217 posts

Sunday 26th September 2004 at 16:44

Couldn't let you get away with the judo dig, thats all. And I know now that scarf hold doesnt get you anywhare in BJJ as its a 'dead move' and essence in BJJ is all about submission not just sitting in a control pin. However scarf hold then step leg over opponents head and apply arm bar pressure against leg works very nicely.

Would love to come and train at your place again sometime, really enjoyed it before and it gave me tha BJJ bug, now a regular at GB Manchester.

Just trained there today with Braulio, class act and really nice guy with it....called me a cheeky b'tard for trying to wrap his ankles into my jacket when trying to pass his guard, just before he lifted me for a whirlybird ride.

Andy came over again, good to watch his controlled, relaxed game. Do you still train with him, is it some place other than castle BBA now? "Its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog"

"Its not the size of the dog i