Back to forum

blindman kicks ass at aikido seminar

Author Comments

nuclearfacemelt

4 posts

Thursday 17th June 2004 at 14:51

i attended an aikido seminar in south shields the other week and this guy walked in with a guide dog and my initial reaction was are you lost?
Then he strips his coat off to reveal himself as a 1st dan(and i start to eat words). Later he took on 5 random attackers and nailed them all! any one who studied even one lesson of aikido will know the movies are complicated and this guy couldnt see! it was a little bit of a humbling experience(especially when i struggle with the simple stuff like shiho nage and taesabki) and really opened my eyes up to the effectiveness of martial arts if practiced properly. im the most sceptical man alive(always questioning my sensi!) but this left me a little bewildered.
'A game of chess is like a swordfight. You must think first - hiyah! - before you move.'

'A game of chess is like a swo

Robsco

1319 posts

Thursday 17th June 2004 at 17:23

Did you attack him? If not, I would be skeptical. --------- Robsco! 'I'm sure your style is impressive on other planets, however, your weak link is that this is Earth'

The Admin Guy

nuclearfacemelt

4 posts

Thursday 17th June 2004 at 18:47

no, but the people who did weren't from his club. Even if was choreographed i would still be impressed because his technique was amazing. However, ju jitsu still rules even if steven segal is an aikido master! 'A game of chess is like a swordfight. You must think first - hiyah! - before you move.'

steve

Resident

217 posts

Thursday 17th June 2004 at 19:54

I assume this was aikido defending practiced against 'lunged' type aikido style attacking i.e. wrists & lapel grabbing, in which case it would make no difference whether the guy was blind or not, good taisabaki (body movement) and knowledge of joint locking would do the trick.

Similar has been the case in judo where once the blind player is hold of the other then sight is not important caues he work from his own body movement & feel of his opponents movement (feels for & exploits stress points in his ballance).

Against a striker / kicker the outcome would be very different. "Its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog"

"Its not the size of the dog i

steve

Resident

217 posts

Thursday 17th June 2004 at 23:21

South Shields...do you train with Jon Stokoe. Jon is decent at what he does and quite a tough club/hard training regime.

If you do train with Jon you may have also come across Alan Ruddock...hes probably the best exponent of Aikido I've ever watched. "Its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog"

"Its not the size of the dog i

nuclearfacemelt

4 posts

Friday 18th June 2004 at 09:35

The seminar was taking by Jon Stokoe but i usually train with John Emerson or Mark Rolston but mainly i train in ju jitsu with Philip Gordon although i think ill be trying jeet kune do and Brazilian Ju Jitsu over the next few weeks. 'A game of chess is like a swordfight. You must think first - hiyah! - before you move.'

Bassmonger

Resident

198 posts

Friday 18th June 2004 at 11:11

Steve- I thought taisabaki was the ancient art of disappearing? Possibly up your own arse. "I like my jiu-jitsu the same way as I like pubic hair on a lady"

DEFEATED IN AL

Ross

Regular

100 posts

Friday 18th June 2004 at 16:09

all sounds very gay to me My prediction is pain