Back to forum

just wondering...

Author Comments

hansito

4 posts

Saturday 10th July 2004 at 19:29

ok sence alot of ppl say which are the best or worst martial arts, i would like 2 hear wich is that best 1 in a real situation.

o and other thing..
why u guys say that traditional jujitsu is not good???? ive seen japanese ppl that have been trained in the traditional way of jujitsu beat other styles and even the bjj.
jiu-jitsu fever guy!!!!

jiu-jitsu fever guy!!!!

hansito

4 posts

Saturday 10th July 2004 at 20:04

my opinion of bjj is that...
bjj only won alot of tourneys at first because of many figthers didnt knew that new style. but now that they have said the basics and advanced features of bjj, bjj will be like any other art because ur oponent will know the weakneses of bjj style like bjj masters knew the weakneses of gunfu, boxing, maithai and many other styles.

o and btw sry for my english :( jiu-jitsu fever guy!!!!

jiu-jitsu fever guy!!!!

Robsco

1319 posts

Saturday 10th July 2004 at 20:15

No problem with the English, but people have started to beat BJJ because they have trained in BJJ along with other arts, and that's where the whole MMA came from.

It's not about signle arts anymore, it's always a combination these days. --------- Robsco! 'I'm sure your style is impressive on other planets, however, your weak link is that this is Earth'

The Admin Guy

hansito

4 posts

Sunday 11th July 2004 at 05:23

thx for responding :) but what about tradicional jujitsu and bjj...???
why ppl say that bjj is better???? jiu-jitsu fever guy!!!!

jiu-jitsu fever guy!!!!

Ross

Regular

100 posts

Sunday 11th July 2004 at 15:25

if had had to do just one art it would be the science of Wrestling.

Gives you strength, balance, power, and aggression. My prediction is pain

steve

Resident

217 posts

Sunday 11th July 2004 at 16:03

Wrestling would be good to learn in terms of its depth of technique / skill base, as Ross says power, balance, leverage, flexibility /agility, etc, yet back to the same old chestnut it is not the complete article for real combat. An experienced thai boxer will take out a wrestler before he gets chance to lock in a clinch, good example being Ignashov vs Williams in the recent 'K1 Beast' event.

It all boils down to what you want out of MA...if you like aggression and KOs then the stand-up game suits, if you like tactics & deep knowledge base and aint that fond of seriously damaging your opponent then wrestling & BJJ may suit, if you like all the history & tradition and the personal meditative / development side of things and do not feel the need to compete and beat others then trad MA will suit. "Its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog"

"Its not the size of the dog i

Ross

Regular

100 posts

Sunday 11th July 2004 at 23:21

yeh thats gotta be right, because a wrestler has never beaten a thai boxer before have they?

*rolls eyes and shakes head at that stupid comment* My prediction is pain

steve

Resident

217 posts

Sunday 11th July 2004 at 23:55

I get the feeling that you have been doing a bit of wrestling recently and had your arse caned, therefore wrestling must be the best cause a wrestler beat you! Would boxing then be best if a boxer KO'd you?

You've recently been talking a lot of sense in your posts, thought perhaps the ego had burned out a bit. I said an 'experienced' thai boxer would generally take out a wrestler in 'real combat', i.e. one who is good with knees & elbows and whose ultimate game plan is to KO his opponent. When does a wrestler ever KO someone I thought they worked for a pin and then the referee called it or does the wrestler squeeze the guy till he passes out?

What the hell! I'm always wrong, you're always right (not). "Its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog"

steve

Resident

217 posts

Monday 12th July 2004 at 00:00

Apologies about my last post, reading it back it apears a bit personal. No offence meant, everyone has their own opinion built on their own experiences. "Its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog"

Ross

Regular

100 posts

Monday 12th July 2004 at 14:30

"I get the feeling that you have been doing a bit of wrestling recently and had your arse caned"

no wrestling is the key to all fighting, you can be the best muay thai guy in the world but if u want stop the take down your stand up is useless, or the best bjj guy if u cant get them down its useless

"therefore wrestling must be the best cause a wrestler beat you! Would boxing then be best if a boxer KO'd you"

anytime today you wanna stop being a know it all, at least my posts have reason and logic to them, wrestlin is the best in my eyes and many other peoples, boxing is good also, i never said it wasnt.

"You've recently been talking a lot of sense in your posts, thought perhaps the ego had burned out a bit. I said an 'experienced' thai boxer would generally take out a wrestler in 'real combat', i.e. one who is good with knees & elbows and whose ultimate game plan is to KO his opponent. "

what ego, are yuo egtting upset because i beat up on all your gay judo buddies, then when i asked you to roll, you asked me to go soft on you, i wasnt going to go hard anyway. but you think an experienced thai guy would beat an experienced wrestler, why because they can hit and want the ko, the wrestler would 9 times out of ten get the takedown and lay and pray or just bash (with no technique) because unless your trained you dont know how to hit right, a pure thai guy wouldnt get back to his feet.

"When does a wrestler ever KO someone I thought they worked for a pin and then the referee called it or does the wrestler squeeze the guy till he passes out? "

when would he have to ko him, could he not just get the takedown and hammerfist the thai guys face in, yes in competition wrestling is to pin, in a scrap im sure the wrestler would figure out how to throw some strong but non technical GnP.

"What the hell! I'm always wrong, you're always right (not)."

no your not always wrong, but you quite often are. You make invalid points using bird anti logic, then try and get lippy to back up your point.

My prediction is pain

steve

Resident

217 posts

Monday 12th July 2004 at 16:59

BTW you didn't exactly beat up all the judo guys or myself, we had come over (made the effort) to learn and have some fun. BJJ at that time was new territory for all of us, just as it would have been for you to have come over our place to join in our judo stand-up.

Obviously I asked you to go easy in the roll, I was entering your game, knowing very little about it or you (plus you outsize me by about 15 kilos and 4 inches height...I'm not stupid!) and did not fancy coming away with an injury...after all it was just a training session not a challenge (and a good session at that, we all enjoyed it, Andy taught well and it gave me the BJJ bug which I train regular now).

As for the 'bird anti-logic' well maybe? moving on.... "Its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog"

Ry

Regular

13 posts

Monday 12th July 2004 at 17:59

Ross I agree that wrestling is an essential asset in a real life scenerio. However I believe that if you study wrestling too much you lose that realness. if you can combine wrestling techniques with the kicks of tae kwon do, and kickboxing, the punches of boxing, and elbows of shoalin kempo then you'd become a master of diverse fighting. You could fight in every position and combine techniques and even invent your own. of course you can do this with any combination really, but I believe diversity is the best style, if it was a style.

Ross

Regular

100 posts

Monday 12th July 2004 at 18:26

yes cross training is the best way, but i said wrestling was the best base art.

steve pretty much i did beat up on you and your guys, even beating one of them down in standing judo type rules. i would come along to judo and still bash your guys up. you may have come with a i want to learn attitude, but some of your friends didnt, it was obvious they wanted to score a notch up so they got bashed for it. My prediction is pain

Streetwise steve

9 posts

Tuesday 13th July 2004 at 14:08

ross is correct. the rest of you are nob jockies

Ry

Regular

13 posts

Tuesday 13th July 2004 at 17:01

I believe wrestling is as good of an art as any, but because its sport fighting, where you learn moves that have little lethal or street credit, it becomes dangerous to yourself to use. The basics of the art are great, it teaches you not only discipline, balance, and strength, but it also teaches you to not seriously hurt your opponent. If this mentality is inbedded in your brain for too long you will no longer be able to retaliate to your full potential.

Robsco

1319 posts

Tuesday 13th July 2004 at 18:45

So wrestling is no good for on the streets?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. --------- Robsco! 'I'm sure your style is impressive on other planets, however, your weak link is that this is Earth'

The Admin Guy

Ross

Regular

100 posts

Tuesday 13th July 2004 at 22:32

your post is stupid at best, have you ever been taken down, thrown or suplexed by a decent wrestler? no then ill explain amagine being picked up from behind and thrown backwards onto your own head with all your body weight and your attackers ontop of your head/neck.

yeh no good for the street My prediction is pain

silat_fyta

4 posts

Wednesday 14th July 2004 at 06:29

Ah. Pressure points are crap. Yes Correct, if they are impractical. Anyone here been kicked in the groin. That could be said to be the touch of death. When i was fighting a boxer, in an alley way i kicked him. After the third time that i knocked him down he asked me what was the deal with the kicking. I said "It works".

If you have taken a punch to the abdominals and a punch to the pectorals and a punch to the solar plexus, you let me know which one knocks the air out of your lungs. Such a small difference in target, such a big difference in result. "Don't worry about speed or power, this is inherrent in the technique, correct technique is faster and more powerful!"

"Don't worry about speed or po

Ry

Regular

13 posts

Wednesday 14th July 2004 at 17:40

Being picked up from behind and thrown on your head would hurt, but it is so inconveniant to do. It's too easy to get out of. You should know this, as soon as your grabbed from behind drop into base and they can't do a thing. Plus when your fighting, it would be extremely difficult to get in back of the person in the first place. A suplex would work great, if your opponent let you do it, but so wouldn't a poke in the eye. If I were fighting a wresler in a street fight, I'd snapkick them in the groin and then extend-punch them in the throat.

Ry

Regular

13 posts

Wednesday 14th July 2004 at 17:44

Oh yeah, I wrestled during high school. It doesn't hurt that bad if you know how to land.