Back to forum

What grade are you?

Author Comments

sl

Resident

855 posts

Tuesday 28th September 2004 at 12:38

This is purely for the traditional ju jitsu people on here. What grade are you in TJJ how long did it take you to get your white belt, and how long did it take you to get your current grade?

On BJJ what is the grade structure and does it differ from TJJ in the sense does it have formal gradings i read somewhere it wasnt uncommon to be handed a new grade at the end of a session and that it was possible to be a white belt for four years?

andy

Resident

729 posts

Tuesday 28th September 2004 at 20:37

why is this strictly for the tjj guys? I am probably classed as a bjj guy but still hold a 2nd dan in tjj, got my white belt the minute i started, comes with the gi! and got my 1sy dn in 1998 and y 2nd dan in 2003 pain is temporary, pride is forever. www.roycegraciesheffield.com

"no weapon formed against me shall prosper"

Robsco

1319 posts

Tuesday 28th September 2004 at 21:32

Brown Belt in TJJ, I was awarded my white belt the same as Andy, with the gi. Think i got my Brown Belt after around 2 years of training.

The BJJ grading structure does not have specific 'gradings' where you simply demonstrate moves, quite obviously anyone can learn some moves and demonstrate them on a willing partner, but not everyone could do the same in a real confrontation.

The main way you'd get promoted in BJJ would be during a class with a Black Belt present, who see's your standard, and maybe even rolls with you to know that you're not just fannying around and actually understand what you're doing. Then you might get told to wear another belt for the next class.

And as for 4 years with a White Belt, why not? If you're not upto the standard, you don't get promoted, it's not a case of time served. And it's not a case of beating all the blue belts so you must be at blue belt standard, for example, some white belt monster might be able to tap a few Blue Belts, or even hold them off, but if they're not using the right techniques, etc., and just relying on strength, then they're not upto Blue Belt standard.

I think 3-4 years is common for a White Belt, but you'd probably get stripes on your belt as you advanced further, but that all depends on the club. --------------------------------------------- Robsco! - The Site Administrator 'I'm sure your style is impressive on other planets, however, your weak link is that this is Earth'

The Admin Guy

Sweaty Gi

120 posts

Tuesday 28th September 2004 at 23:07

It also depends how often you train. Some train 3 or 4 times a week, some only once a week. I've heard of some that only train once a year. Don't make me sweat, you won't like me when I'm sweaty!

sl

Resident

855 posts

Wednesday 29th September 2004 at 10:03

Train once a year ? ? Is there any point ? ?

Sorry Andy only asked about TJJ because thats what im doing at the moment so apologies.. i then asked about BJJ cos it interests me although havent found anywhere yet.

On the Gi and you get a white belt with it. Is it ok to wear the white belt without grading for it?

Are there many blackbelts in BJJ in the uk ?

andy

Resident

729 posts

Wednesday 29th September 2004 at 13:51

how else does your gi stay together? i have only ever heard of grading for white belt if the instructor wants to make more money. pain is temporary, pride is forever. www.roycegraciesheffield.com

Sweaty Gi

120 posts

Wednesday 29th September 2004 at 14:12

Look, I try to train more often, ok? I guess I've just got a busy lifestyle.

As for the black belts, at a guess I'd say between 5 to 10 in the uk. Don't make me sweat, you won't like me when I'm sweaty!

sl

Resident

855 posts

Wednesday 29th September 2004 at 14:48

You only train once a year ? No wonder your Gi is so sweaty haha. Only Kidding, thanks for the info Gi, my next question is definitely for the BJJ lads. On the BJJ how do i know if a club is any good? What should i look for? Anyone know any in liverpool or surrounding area?

sl

Resident

855 posts

Wednesday 29th September 2004 at 14:55

Andy i see your point completely on the Gi thing so why is there a white belt syllabus ? Shouldnt we just start on white ?

Robsco

1319 posts

Wednesday 29th September 2004 at 16:10

I see where you're coming from with the 'white belt syllabus', at the club I trained at you actually got a white belt with a red stripe but it was classes as your white belt.

As for what makes a good BJJ club, I would have said any club with a Blue Belt or higher teaching, and with regular visits and seminars from higher grades.

Just go along to a few and watch what they do, or preferably give it a go and see what you think. --------------------------------------------- Robsco! - The Site Administrator 'I'm sure your style is impressive on other planets, however, your weak link is that this is Earth'

The Admin Guy

mk77

4 posts

Wednesday 29th September 2004 at 17:02

Ive been looking on the net for a BJJ club in liverpool myself, sl, and the only one I could find is in the Dingle. Here's the link if you're interested: http://sfuk.tripod.com/clubs/liverpool_bjj.html who needs wayne rooney?

who needs wayne rooney?

Robsco

1319 posts

Wednesday 29th September 2004 at 17:44

Well that looks like a decent club to me on first sight, Blue Belt under Royce. --------------------------------------------- Robsco! - The Site Administrator 'I'm sure your style is impressive on other planets, however, your weak link is that this is Earth'

The Admin Guy

sl

Resident

855 posts

Wednesday 29th September 2004 at 17:48

Thats pretty close you going to give it a go mk77?

andy

Resident

729 posts

Thursday 30th September 2004 at 12:41

I know Alan and he's a good guy, go give his class a try pain is temporary, pride is forever. www.roycegraciesheffield.com

mk77

4 posts

Thursday 30th September 2004 at 16:16

yeah, i reckon i'll give it a try. i'll give him a ring some time this week. who needs wayne rooney?

who needs wayne rooney?

sl

Resident

855 posts

Thursday 30th September 2004 at 17:46

MK77 let me know how it goes i cant attend for a few weeks due to other commitments but would be interested to see how it goes etc?

Delanvital

7 posts

Tuesday 5th October 2004 at 21:24

Uhm... shodan in traditional ju-jitsu I guess, not sure. We practise a syllabus very close to the WJJF/UNJJ/WKF style, is that what you mean by traditional?

I started at this in '90 and got my blackbelt in '98 (though spent a few of those years teaching alongside, which took up most of my own time for practise).

I have been teaching ever since, haven't had time to go for nidan yet. Starting on nidan from january though, since our staff of instructors has gotten larger (we are now 3 black belts, 1 brown, 1 purple, 1 blue and two green). Delanvital

Delanvital

Robsco

1319 posts

Tuesday 5th October 2004 at 22:03

MK77, how did the class go? been along yet? Does sound like a good teacher to train under.

Would be good to get some feedback on another club.

Also Delan, how come you're not going to start going for Nidan for another few months? What's stopping you starting training for it now, even just a little bit if you're teaching so much. --------------------------------------------- Robsco! - The Site Administrator 'I'm sure your style is impressive on other planets, however, your weak link is that this is Earth'

The Admin Guy

mk77

4 posts

Tuesday 5th October 2004 at 23:04

haven't been yet mate. just moved house, still sorting some things out. should be going soon though. i'll post a message about the club as soon as ive been. who needs wayne rooney?

who needs wayne rooney?

Nathan

Addict

175 posts

Wednesday 6th October 2004 at 10:38

I'm not even a white belt in Traditional Ju-Jitsu. Although I nearly got my green when I was a junior. Took about two and a half years to get that. But I left for ages and have had to start again. To clear the white belt thing up. You start with a white belt with a red tab on it. Once you've been graded for your white belt. The red tab then comes off, and you start training for your yellow.

I'm really thinking of taking up Brazilian Ju-Jitsu soon as long side my traditional. Do you think it'd be ok to turn up on my own, as none of my mates are interested.