Back to forum

Knee wheel

Author Comments

Delanvital

7 posts

Tuesday 5th October 2004 at 21:36

Hi there. I kinda need on a technique.

The hiza-guruma nage-waza - do you know a strange variant of this, where you perform it like an o-soto-gari instead, where you put your foot in the uki's uhm, how to say, backside of the leg, where the leg bends? So more like a leg throw, but with your foot placed differently? I haven't been able to find this technique anywhere, and I need to know if it has japanese name.

Le tme know, if that description sounds too stupid ;-) Delanvital

Delanvital

Robsco

1319 posts

Tuesday 5th October 2004 at 21:57

Steve is probably your man for this since it's a throw, so I leave it open to him.

A bit more of a description would help tho. Is this the same 'Knee Wheel' as is shown on this site? --------------------------------------------- Robsco! - The Site Administrator 'I'm sure your style is impressive on other planets, however, your weak link is that this is Earth'

The Admin Guy

Delanvital

7 posts

Thursday 7th October 2004 at 08:08

Yes, it is actually. So what I am loooking for is the japanse name of that throw.

I have seen hiza guruma performed quite differently from the one on this page (more in style with de ashi harai, basically speaking), and if your knee wheel is called hiza guruma also, then I am really confused ;o) Delanvital

Delanvital

Dave

Addict

183 posts

Thursday 7th October 2004 at 11:51

Try contacting the british judo and ju jitsu federations they i'm sure will be more than able to help with the names and descriptions of techniques. Postman Pat, Postman Pat, Postman Pat and his Black and white Catttt. Early in the mornin when the nah nah deedle dat da do!!!!! Ah fuct it right up

Postman Pat, Postman Pat, Post

steve

Resident

217 posts

Thursday 7th October 2004 at 12:40

The throw is as you say just a variant of the hiza-garuma which literally translates as 'wheeling the knee'. In the trad ju-jitsu variant it is more of a knee 'push' using nearside attacking leg/foot to nearside opponents knee. The kuzushi (ballance break) is by driving the opponents upper body on a backward / sidewards angle. In judo it is usually a sweeep of the opponents nearside knee with the attackers offside leg/foot. The kuzushi is different in that it is pulling the opponent forward and around to the side.

But basically there is no need for a different translation of the variation it is still a knee wheel. In judo you could possibly differentiate it by calling it a 'kuzuri' hiza-garuma, 'kuzuri' meaning 'variation of'. "Its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog"

"Its not the size of the dog i

Delanvital

7 posts

Thursday 7th October 2004 at 17:54

Steve, thanks for the info. I will stick to the hiza guruma name then. Delanvital

Delanvital