Back to forum

Chokes...

Author Comments

Nathan

Addict

175 posts

Wednesday 3rd November 2004 at 12:00

Hi, some of you may know that I study Traditional JuJitsu, and I'm on my way to yellow belt (I haven't been going long - lol) But I was just wondering if anyone could give me any informatoion on choke holds. Especially teh vascular ones.

I learnt one the other day. It's the one when if you do a rice-bail, and you're on the floor with your arm round their neck. You can grip your fingers and twist your wrist and it digs into their neck. (hope this makes sense).

I was just wondering if there was any way that you can do something simialr to yourself to see what the effect is like, and how long it would take to knock someone out like this. There probably isn't, but I just really wanna know what the effect is like.

Where exactly is the place to press to perform the vascular choke? And how hard should you press to make it work. Or any general info would be great!

I'm sure you BJJ guys will have some info ;) ! ! !

P.S., does anyone know if Si passed his grading?

sl

Resident

855 posts

Wednesday 3rd November 2004 at 19:58

Nathan i passed the other night ! ________________________________________________ When I win I'm going to Disneyland aswell!!!!!!!

sl

Resident

855 posts

Thursday 4th November 2004 at 22:55

The best way is to have a good partner you feel comfortable with and to drill it........ You wont be able to choke yourself as effectively as you would someone else. ________________________________________________ When I win I'm going to Disneyland aswell!!!!!!!

Johnny

4 posts

Friday 5th November 2004 at 14:59

I find that to practice that particular choke with an Uki(especially if he is happy for you to send him 'night nights') would be to do it standing up. The choke can be very dangerous. Too much pressure on the windpide can crush the trachea. If you are laying on your back in the landing of Rice Bail position you can be choking away on your Uki- and he may already be asleep! When he is standing up you will see him buckle. At this stage you can relaese the pressure. Applied Strangulations and Chokes normally work at early as 3 seconds. Start with steady pressure and increase to 3-4 seconds mark with full velocity. make sure you know the relevant recovery techniques and emergency medical proceedure just in case. Johnny BJJA

Johnny
BJJA

steve

Resident

217 posts

Friday 5th November 2004 at 16:20

Woah...hold on a minute!

You should not be, NOR WANT TO BE choking or rather strangling training partners until they go unconscious. Its not a game and there is no second chance should they fail to rescusitate. Cutting off the blood supply to the brain leads to brain damage, why would anyone wish to inflict brain damage on a training partner? And as for knowing rescusitation techniques...you should not get into the position of needing to PLAY doctor in the first place.

In properly regulated and controlled competition, an experienced referee is dedicated to watching over the two fighters in his charge, as are corner judges, all with close eye on what is going on and able to step in quickly if danger presented, also there are emergency services on standby (paramedic / doctor or trained medical rescus team volunteers, maybe St.John's or similar with the correct equipment if a loss of consciousness escalated quickly into something more serious.

Accident can & do happen in training where someone passes out, good coaching supervision should minimise this risk, BUT IT SHOULD BE BY ACCIDENT ONLY.

"Its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog"

"Its not the size of the dog i

sl

Resident

855 posts

Saturday 6th November 2004 at 11:03

Steve, I agree 100% i got choked pretty bad a while back paired up with someone different, i tapped no release had to physically pull him off me in the end. Its important to have a good training partner you trust and ask them questions if the technique feels effective not just choke em till their cold!!!!!!!

Im also fairly surprised your sensai allows you to do "night nights".

Johnny what if you where to choke out your training partner and you kill him? Murder or man slaughter? Either way its the end of living a free life.....

________________________________________________ When I win I'm going to Disneyland aswell!!!!!!!

Bassmonger

Resident

198 posts

Tuesday 9th November 2004 at 11:58

I think he probably was just referring to silly people who refuse to tap in training. If they don't let you know the choke is working, you're not going to have any idea until they 'go night nights' and/or shit their pants. "I like my jiu-jitsu the same way as I like pubic hair on a lady"

DEFEATED IN AL

Bassmonger

Resident

198 posts

Tuesday 9th November 2004 at 12:03

Oh yeah- if someone carries on with something after someone has tapped, they're asking for trouble. And by trouble, I mean someone getting pissed off with them and doing the same back...on a knee bar or something. I'd personally just not spar with them, but there will always be some people who decide to go the revenge route instead.

And I think some of my training partners are already brain damaged anyway. "I like my jiu-jitsu the same way as I like pubic hair on a lady"

DEFEATED IN AL

Sweaty Gi

120 posts

Tuesday 9th November 2004 at 15:57

You also get those idiots, usually after a few drinks, who think they can prevent getting choked out by tensing their neck muscles. eh Rob ? Don't make me sweat, you won't like me when I'm sweaty!

Robsco

1319 posts

Tuesday 9th November 2004 at 20:50

Yeah, ya wanna look out for those nutters! :o)

Atleast i don't do it by tensing my neck muscles, hell, what muscles!!! :-p --------------------------------------------- Robsco! - The Site Administrator 'I'm sure your style is impressive on other planets, however, your weak link is that this is Earth'

The Admin Guy