Back to forum

Bruised knuckles

Author Comments

ninja9578

Regular

92 posts

Wednesday 10th November 2004 at 03:59

I've done martial arts for ten year, done thousands of knuckle pushups, broken countless boards/cinder blocks, thrown millions of punches on hard punching bags. But I still get a bruise on the middle knuckle on the right side. Does anybody know what could cause this. It's not a conditioning problem, for none of the other knuckles do it. I usually only get the bruise when I punch and don't break, but none of the other knuckles do it. I've watched my punches on a video tape and have perfect form.

Blue Belt - Gracie JJ
3rd Degree Black Belt - Shorin Ryu
Red Belt w/ two stripes - Soo Bahk Do

Robsco

1319 posts

Wednesday 10th November 2004 at 07:45

I'm not much of a striker, but isn't your middle knuckle the one taking most of the impact? --------------------------------------------- Robsco! - The Site Administrator 'I'm sure your style is impressive on other planets, however, your weak link is that this is Earth'

The Admin Guy

fingercuffs

Regular

33 posts

Wednesday 10th November 2004 at 08:15

why don't you get some of that green powder stuff that mister miyagi uses in karate kid II. That stuff looked awesome as it cleared up most injuries over night (expect bone breaks.. i suspect they might take two night :/ )

Sweaty Gi

120 posts

Wednesday 10th November 2004 at 10:16

I maybe wrong here, but I've got a feeling its got something to do with you punching boards.

Don't make me sweat, you won't like me when I'm sweaty!

Sweaty Gi

120 posts

Wednesday 10th November 2004 at 10:21

I'd be more concerned about analysing yourself on video tapes Don't make me sweat, you won't like me when I'm sweaty!

steve

Resident

217 posts

Wednesday 10th November 2004 at 14:35

External 'yang' conditioning on its own will not guarantee freedom from injury and ultimately deformity 'the big knuck'.

Internal 'yin' conditioning designed to concentrate 'chi' into the hand is vital.

If you cannot / do no know how to concentrate 'chi' into your hand prior to attempting a breaking technique then you are using physical strength only and will therefore always risk injury.

What is the point in hitting boards and toughening up the hand anyway? How often are you ever going to need it to be tough? I take it you do not bare knuckle fight for a living so why? "Its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog"

"Its not the size of the dog i

ninja9578

Regular

92 posts

Wednesday 10th November 2004 at 16:28

The green stuff that you see at martial arts demos is most likely aloe. If done correctly, the force should be dispersed equally between the first two knuckles. I don't usually bruise when hitting boards (they are too soft, even if I don't break), mainly I bruise breaking cinder blocks. What I don't understand is why it only happens to the right middle knuckle. My left hand never bruises and I can hit just as hard with it.

No, I'm not a bareknuckle fighter, but I do a lot of breaking demonstrations.

Do you think it's possible that I broke something a long time ago and it just never fully healed? I've been getting bruised on that knuckle for at least two years.

Blue Belt - Gracie JJ
3rd Degree Black Belt - Shorin Ryu
Red Belt w/ two stripes - Soo Bahk Do

the_little_dragon

Regular

33 posts

Wednesday 10th November 2004 at 23:24

maybe cos that 1 knuckle sticks out more than the others and takes mostof the impact on its own...where if all knuckles where even the impact would be spread out...just an idea

the_little_dragon

Regular

33 posts

Wednesday 10th November 2004 at 23:24

maybe cos that 1 knuckle sticks out more than the others and takes mostof the impact on its own...where if all knuckles where even the impact would be spread out...just an idea