Back to forum

Struggling with weapons.

Author Comments

carlos99

6 posts

Thursday 25th November 2004 at 17:40

Is it just me or does anybody else struggle with the weapons side of matial arts. I find that when I learn 1 weapon kata I forget another. Too many weapons, too many katas.

Bassmonger

Resident

198 posts

Friday 26th November 2004 at 15:19

Don't see the point in weapons myself. Unless you're doing martial arts for the historical side (or you're a maniac), I think they're a waste of time. They don't help with competitions or fitness, and unless they've introduced pool cue katas and teachings on 'proper application of a broken bottle to the face', they're not going to help in self-defence either. "I'd do it, but I pulled my back out humping your mom last night"

DEFEATED IN AL

Robsco

1319 posts

Friday 26th November 2004 at 15:46

Not sure I totally agree there, they surely help a bit with co-ordination, obviously doesn't help too much with a double-leg takedown, but they might help a little for other techniques. --------------------------------------------- Robsco! - The Site Administrator 'I'm sure your style is impressive on other planets, however, your weak link is that this is Earth'

The Admin Guy

carlos99

6 posts

Friday 26th November 2004 at 16:46

We like to train with the cue and bottle but unfortunately we also have to do the sword work etc. Weapons can be good for co-orination and stances (so I keep being told). I personaly prefer the kick, punch, grapple side of training but we have to keep moving on and up.

Dave

Addict

183 posts

Saturday 27th November 2004 at 13:59

I struggle big time with weapon training but thats because i never put 100% into it. A: it bores me silly and B: i dont agree with learning set moves when it comes to self-protection with weapons. Postman Pat, Postman Pat, Postman Pat and his Black and white Catttt. Early in the mornin when the nah nah deedle dat da do!!!!! Ah fuct it right up

Postman Pat, Postman Pat, Post

Uke4Life

4 posts

Sunday 5th December 2004 at 21:10

The value of weapons training is almost entirely dependent upon the student.

In the case of the Aiki arts (Aikido, Aikijutsu, etc.) it is a fundamental part, as the art was derived from the sword arts.

There is at least one thing which weapons training does which cannot be otherwise learned, changing maai (combat distance) against various weapons..

I believe that even practioners of related arts (including Jujitsu) can learn valuable things from weapons training that wil improve their art.

Just my $.02.

Uke4Life