Back to forum

conditioning

Author Comments

urban_samurai

14 posts

Monday 6th December 2004 at 15:36

i've been studying ju jitsu for over a yaer now and i'm wanting improve my strength, stamia etc
i was wondering if anyone had any suggestion for a training program or tips to help me out. [email=JohnPerry@nnc.ac.uk]JohnPerry@nnc.ac.uk[/email]

Robsco

1319 posts

Monday 6th December 2004 at 15:54

Depending on your club and/or instructor(s) you should be building that lot up with training.

How about jogging and weights?

The Admin Guy

urban_samurai

14 posts

Monday 6th December 2004 at 16:01

yeah started jogging and going to the gym twice a week between my ju jitsu classes. the problem is the gym where i go is full of body builders who throw roids down their necks as if there smarties.

Robsco

1319 posts

Monday 6th December 2004 at 16:16

How about getting your own set of weights?

The Admin Guy

urban_samurai

14 posts

Monday 6th December 2004 at 16:16

if it helps i mainly want to tone and build strength. i'm not really that sure about what sort of weight i should be lifting and the amount of reps i should be doing.

ninja9578

Regular

92 posts

Monday 6th December 2004 at 18:45

If you want tone and lean load on medium weight, say if you can bench 185, use 135. Do strip sets from that. Low weight, high reps is how you get strong and ripped, without getting big. Running will also keep your weight and size down. Look at cross country runners. We lift that way and run, and a ripped as hell.

Blue Belt - Gracie JJ
3rd Degree Black Belt - Shorin Ryu
Red Belt w/ two stripes - Soo Bahk Do

Gogs

8 posts

Wednesday 8th December 2004 at 12:41

I do jujitsu and i find these are good training methods to improve overall fitness:

Light weight lifting every day except training for strength
Small amount of pushups/situps every day for strength
Squats every day (improves leg muscles - good for jujitsu reaps)
Jogging every day for fitness
Stretches every day to improve agility

Also i recommend skipping. It is one of the fastest ways to get fit (commonly used by boxers) :-)

Only the dead see the end of w

urban_samurai

14 posts

Monday 13th December 2004 at 13:04

Many thanks ppl took your advice, now lifting lower weights and doing higher reps. Also stared jogging three time a week and i can tell the difference already. Also joined a new gym free of steroid monkees

Dave

Addict

183 posts

Monday 13th December 2004 at 13:35

Mr Perry do you know a place called Newton Rigg? Your name sounds very familiar.

Postman Pat, Postman Pat, Post