Back to forum

Cage Warriors BJJ Superfight

Author Comments

Robsco

1319 posts

Friday 17th December 2004 at 23:00

The moment anyone hears, let us know what went on!

Andy is bloody technical but it could go either way, and I thought Varqa was a Purple belt?

Has Andy finally got his? It's been a long time coming! :-)

The Admin Guy

Dave

Addict

183 posts

Saturday 18th December 2004 at 00:03

Just had a squint at the cage warriors card and noticed it said Andy is former head of Gracie Barra Sheffield. How come? Has he left?

Good luck in the fight by the way Andy.

Postman Pat, Postman Pat, Post

Robsco

1319 posts

Saturday 18th December 2004 at 01:49

I believe he's now left Sheffield and has moved down down south.

Bit of a shame if you ask me, but that's where the expertise is I suppose.

The Admin Guy

Bassmonger

Resident

198 posts

Sunday 19th December 2004 at 10:52

It was a draw, Andy had a choke on near the end, but the other dude held out to the bell. Well, stupid klaxon thing.

And yeah, Andy moved down South a while ago.

DEFEATED IN AL

andy

Resident

729 posts

Sunday 19th December 2004 at 19:39

plus i almost broke his ankle with the achilles lock, plus he didn't try anything but stall and kept asking the ref how long was left.

I now am based in Guildford and train at Roger Gracie's Academy and will be setting some classes in the new year

"no weapon formed against me shall prosper"

Robsco

1319 posts

Sunday 19th December 2004 at 21:40

Sounds like a re-match is in order.

The Admin Guy

Sweaty Gi

120 posts

Tuesday 21st December 2004 at 03:06

There are a couple of photos on the [link=http://www.cagewarriors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11211&page=2]Cagewarriors forum[/link].

Shame it was only for one round. Still, it was good to see a bit of BJJ in CW.

andy

Resident

729 posts

Tuesday 21st December 2004 at 18:09

i tried to demonstrate the reverse triangle but forgot to control the arm enough. Oh well. vid might be up soon

sl

Resident

855 posts

Tuesday 21st December 2004 at 18:10

Can you post a link to it on here Andy.

andy

Resident

729 posts

Tuesday 21st December 2004 at 18:22

sl, maybe, email me on andyrobertsbjj@hotmail.com re. a bjj club or 2 in merseyside

sl

Resident

855 posts

Tuesday 21st December 2004 at 18:27

Really there are two? I know of one but its a bit more mma than i want. Anyway email on its way!

Sweaty Gi

120 posts

Tuesday 28th December 2004 at 15:10

Here's some more [link=http://www.keithcurtis.co.uk/onlinesales/events/cage9/index.htm]photos from cw9[/link]

sl

Resident

855 posts

Wednesday 29th December 2004 at 15:28

That looked like a severe battle. have a look at the last pic the purple belt looks shattered and relieved its over. Whats that thing for on your wrist andy looks like maskin tape?

andy

Resident

729 posts

Thursday 30th December 2004 at 19:57

It was tape, at the moment my right, wrist, elbow and shoulder are pretty screwed (trapped nerve or something), so the tape just relieved a bit of the pain, the purple was shattered at end hence why he wouldnt agree to a 10 minute time limit.

steve

Resident

217 posts

Saturday 1st January 2005 at 19:33

Andy,

Observed your fighting style seems to be predominantly back to canvas with legs between yourself and opponent (usually controlling opponents hips, armpits, elbows whilst 'streching' him) and a relaxed game of absorbing / neutralising opponents energetics whilst awaiting or manufacturing your own opportunity.

My question is whether this is your 'preferred' game, or whether because you are generally of lighter frame / body mass than your opponents you find that an attacking 'top game' is not usually an option.

I am similar build to yourself and find it hard to maintain control from the top (bridged / turned off too easily when I attempt to move from a controlling pin to a submission) and because of this I also tend to fight in a similar 'back to canvas' way, though obviously not yet at your standard.

Any specific tips on neutralising a 'top position' aggressive fighter's game from below would be greatly appreciated.:-D

"Its not the size of the dog i

andy

Resident

729 posts

Saturday 1st January 2005 at 20:01

i prefer a top game, but as this was sub only i let him get the takedown cos i know his style, he suprised me with his strength but not with his lack of attacks.

tips on staying safe on bottom, keep active, control the grip.

crazymofo55

Regular

41 posts

Sunday 2nd January 2005 at 05:00

You neutralize a fighter on top by simply not allowing them any leverage to attack you with and by forcing them to waste energy. You can wrap their arms or head up and push their hips back forcing them to use energy to escape in order to mount another attack. Then, there are submission attempts that can also take alot of energy to escape from. If they must slam you to escape an armbar it may hurt you some, but it will take everything they got to do it. If they must rear up to land a couple punches they will have to lift half your body off the ground to get the job done. The guard can also be hard on breathing if you lock the knee in around their body.
Personally, though the only thing I would try with my back on the mat would be to either get back up or ride the round out. It's usually the smaller guys that have to pull something cute like that because they don't have the beef to stay on top. If you're heavy then it takes alot to escape underneath you. You can basically smother them with your weight. I'd rather use all my fat to slowly nudge them into a corner and make them prey I don't hurt em against the ropes. If you got the fence there you can use it as a brace and make them eat it.

Sweaty Gi

120 posts

Wednesday 5th January 2005 at 17:21

Andy, any news on the vid ?

You have mail.

andy

Resident

729 posts

Wednesday 5th January 2005 at 17:38

wrong email address, use andyrobertsbjj@hotmail.com

Sweaty Gi

120 posts

Wednesday 5th January 2005 at 20:49

That's the one I used. Let me know if you don't recieve it.