Back to forum

Are we all moving towards MMA?

Author Comments

Robsco

1319 posts

Thursday 6th January 2005 at 22:09

It seems many people are understanding that not 'one' art solves every situation, and that many people, including instructors are now involving other arts into their teachings.

I personally don't want to see an end to traditional arts, or for ALL martial arts training to become one huge ball of techniques from everything, simply because we would all lose the traditional teachings of what the 'main' arts have tought us.

Any thoughts people?

The Admin Guy

sl

Resident

855 posts

Saturday 8th January 2005 at 13:21

My thoughts are they should be seperate if you want to learn to punch kick etc get yourself down the nearest Muay Thai gym with a qualified instructor by one of the big names. Again for self defence get down a TJJ/BJJ gym with a good instructor.

I think you should cross train as many MAs as you can if your about to embark on a cage fighting career. But for SD time and time again ... we all know what the magic combo is i dont need to say it...

steve

Resident

217 posts

Saturday 8th January 2005 at 19:57

Muay Thai is okay for kicks & knees and conditioning, but I've seen very few who train MT who are good at either punching or riding / evading a good puncher. Boxing is the only place where you will learn good punching & punch evasion.

Lot of good kickers in K1 but not many of them are good with their hands!

"Its not the size of the dog i

sl

Resident

855 posts

Saturday 8th January 2005 at 21:05

Have you done any Muay Thai Steve? Its the complete striking package.

The sheer combinations available to a Thai Boxer elbow, knees, shin, fists and the clinch work will defeat a boxer easy enough (in my opinion).

Having done some amateur boxing while growing up i agree it is a good conditioning and striking art and you do learn good countering skills and defence work. I do think it would be good to train some boxing before learning Muay Thai though.

The sheer combinations available to a Thai Boxer elbow, knees, shin, fists and the clinch work will defeat a boxer easy enough.

Also does K1 allow elbow strikes?

As ever i could be wrong. I just think for striking Muay Thai is the best, then boxing for striking.

What do you reckon then Steve. Muay Thai Vs Boxer? Whose your money on.

sl

Resident

855 posts

Sunday 9th January 2005 at 12:16

crazymofo55

Regular

41 posts

Saturday 15th January 2005 at 11:19

I don't see that happening because if it were true then there would be more places around that trained like that. Most of the academies in my town are for kids to learn tae kwon do or karate.