Back to forum

Muay Thai Websites

Author Comments

Nathan

Addict

175 posts

Thursday 20th January 2005 at 20:52

Does anyone know of any good Muay Thai websites? Most of the ones I've seen are pretty lame.

Robsco

1319 posts

Thursday 20th January 2005 at 22:14

Looking for Muay Thai now?!?!?!?

Fraid I don't know of any good sites, but what exactly are you looking for?

Ya could always try my search engine at [link=http://www.mahunter.com]www.mahunter.com[/link], about 500 clubs and websites listed so far.

The Admin Guy

Nathan

Addict

175 posts

Friday 21st January 2005 at 00:39

Lol... I'm starting Muay Thai on next friday. Instead of my Friday TJJ class. I used to do a bit of boxing, so I should take a bit to Muay Thai. I've got a right busy MA schedule this year. It's my resolution. Mon - TJJ, Tue - BJJ, Wed - BJJ, Fri - Muay Thai, Sat morning - BJJ... The idea is, is if I'm spending only a little on these, I can't spend it in the pub...

We'll see how long this lasts...

Nathan

Addict

175 posts

Friday 21st January 2005 at 00:41

Ooops, didn't answer your question Robsco... I was just looking for some info and techniques etc on Muay Thai before my first lesson. I'm funny like that y'see...

It's quite good actually, as I've got a RGJJN club and a Muay Thai club with a champion instructor (or so i've been told) on my doorstep. Neat eh? I'd be a mug not to take it up.!

sl

Resident

855 posts

Friday 21st January 2005 at 08:53

They don't have a sort of set syllabus nathan bit like boxing really. Check out [link=http://www.mastersken.com]www.mastersken.com[/link] think there are some videos on his new website. There is also a couple of Sken dvds on amazon

trevek2

Addict

119 posts

Friday 21st January 2005 at 09:23

Try this site, it has pictures and discriptions
http://www.muaythai.com/

See how well I block all your

trevek2

Addict

119 posts

Friday 21st January 2005 at 09:25

Here's another

members.lycos.co.uk/artofmuaythai

See how well I block all your

Nathan

Addict

175 posts

Friday 21st January 2005 at 21:01

Si... I know they don't really have a syllabus. But I just wanted to know a bit about the different strikes etc, i.e., The Cross and stuff. I just wanted to know a bit about how the lessons work etc.

How long you been doing Muay Thai for anyway? How often do you go and how much have you improved since you began going? Do you spar yet? I should have my first lesson on Friday hopefully. It's a 3 hour class which sounds kinda tiring!

sl

Resident

855 posts

Saturday 22nd January 2005 at 15:27

I've done it on and off for about 7 years at various clubs. Your boxing will help loads i came from an amateur boxing background. A typical lesson involves a line up pretty much usual ma, warm up loads of stretching alot of leg stretches for obvious reasons.

A combination is normally demod, shadow boxing style practice that for a bit (all part of warm up really) then you get a partner grab a pad and practice some more combos, clinches, knee strikes etc. If you done boxin nathan youll be alright its just the added knees elbows but thats easy enough...

At the end of the lesson you may do some low contact sparring i.e practicing defending low kicks high kicks etc and countering them.

The lesson normally finishes with a bit of CV work i.e On your left leg kick pad 5 times then 4 then 3 then 2 then 1 then back up to five as fast as you can then change leg. Similar to boxing with the pads.

Then its the warm down with yet more stretching.

3 hours seems long the longest ive had is two hours. Let me know how you get on but you should enjoy it i've been hooked for years on it!!!!!

:-D

Nathan

Addict

175 posts

Saturday 22nd January 2005 at 15:38

Yeah... I'll let you know Si. I should be going on Friday. There's hardly any Thai Boxing clubs where I am. Then I me some guy down the local who does it. And it turns out that there's a club about 10 minutes walk from where I live. Sweet eh?

sl

Resident

855 posts

Saturday 22nd January 2005 at 19:00

Always the way Nathan....... you look for clubs and there is one 10 mins away! Have fun and keep us all posted. Is the knee better by the way?

Nathan

Addict

175 posts

Saturday 22nd January 2005 at 23:45

I keep having 'twinges' in the knee. But It's getting steadily better, i'm gonna put the Muay and BBJ back a month I think so I can get it 100% instead of wrecking it properly... been going back to TJJ though. Funnily enough (although it's not actually funny) one of the guys there was a BROWN belt and lost his entire right leg. I've never asked him how it happened.. but he's made it to a black belt, and he's just training me in cool stuff in TJJ... I'm not really bothered about the belts to be honest... he's showing me pressure points, wristlocks, chokes and just cool shit. That's all I think TJJ is good for. I reckon if you've a good TJJ knowledge, you'd be shit hot at BJJ. Anyways, that's my two cents, and if you can't tell by the rambling in this post. I've just come back from the pub. :-p

Take it easy!