Back to forum

Gumshield

Author Comments

sl

Resident

855 posts

Wednesday 9th February 2005 at 09:30

Anyone wear a gum shield when sparring/competing i find im grinding / gritting my teeth.....

Bassmonger

Resident

198 posts

Wednesday 9th February 2005 at 09:55

Not yet- I've had my dentist make one but not got round to picking it up. In the past I never could be bothered with one, but after a few knee/chin and elbow/mouth incidents, plus the fact I recently had a crown fitted, I thought it was about time I got it sorted.

Better to be safe than sorry and all that. Plus it will make me look harder than I really am.

And no, I don't mean harder in that way. That's what a box/cup is for.

DEFEATED IN AL

sl

Resident

855 posts

Wednesday 9th February 2005 at 09:57

Is it something you see in competitions?

Bassmonger

Resident

198 posts

Wednesday 9th February 2005 at 10:54

Yes, though you'll find that a lot (probably most) people don't bother in BJJ/grappling comps. No matter how good the fit is, it's still going to restrict your breathing a bit.

DEFEATED IN AL

sl

Resident

855 posts

Wednesday 9th February 2005 at 10:58

Yeah i could see that being a problem ah well dentures for me then....

Nathan

Addict

175 posts

Wednesday 9th February 2005 at 13:25

I didn't know your dentist could make gumshields... The ones I used to use for boxing were well uncomfortable and made me dribble... Are they expensive Bass?

sl

Resident

855 posts

Wednesday 9th February 2005 at 13:36

To be honest they all make you dribble............... i got one years ago they werent that expensive.

Bassmonger

Resident

198 posts

Wednesday 9th February 2005 at 14:02

Mine's gonna cost 20 quid I think- he takes an impression of your gob, asks you what colour you want, then tells you to come back in a fortnight.

Some of my teeth are crooked, so I thought this would be a way to get one that fits nicely. I'll let you know how good it is when I get it. And if I remember/can be arsed.

DEFEATED IN AL

Robsco

1319 posts

Wednesday 9th February 2005 at 17:05

£20! Sure my dentist said it'd cost £50, and I've heard that from other people too!

No wonder your teeth are crooked dude! :-))

The Admin Guy

trevek2

Addict

119 posts

Wednesday 9th February 2005 at 19:48

I've got a double sided one which houses upper and lower set. It has a breathing hole in the middle. The frightening thing about it is the sucking gurgling noises I can make... makes em think I've got rabies. Not used it for grappling tho (not sure I would).

See how well I block all your

sl

Resident

855 posts

Thursday 10th February 2005 at 09:21

I've never understood the two sided ones....... id imagine they would restrict your breathing even more.

trevek2

Addict

119 posts

Thursday 10th February 2005 at 20:01

no, the hole allows you to breath. The thing is that it protects your lower set or your mouth from your lower set. Also stops you licking your lips and biting your tongue off.

Robsco

1319 posts

Thursday 10th February 2005 at 20:41

But a small hole to breath with obviously isn't as good as a wide gob open gasping! :-))

The Admin Guy

sl

Resident

855 posts

Friday 11th February 2005 at 10:36

Is pulling tongues allowed on the mat? :-D:-p:-p

trevek2

Addict

119 posts

Saturday 12th February 2005 at 14:36

Only in Tongue Fu tournaments!

Bassmonger

Resident

198 posts

Monday 14th February 2005 at 22:53

Turns out the gumshield was 35 quid (told you i remembered it wrong) and it fits like a glove. Well, a glove would fit in your mouth badly, but you know what I mean. Once in, it takes some getting out (the gumshield). Not tried training while wearing it yet though.

DEFEATED IN AL

Nathan

Addict

175 posts

Monday 21st February 2005 at 13:25

What do you use your gumshield for bass if not BJJ... do you do other Martial Arts?

Bassmonger

Resident

198 posts

Monday 21st February 2005 at 16:43

No, I got it for BJJ (and if I decide to try any MMA). Tried it in training the other day, and it was fine. Secure, and breathing wasn't too hard.

DEFEATED IN AL

Ryu

Regular

47 posts

Saturday 12th March 2005 at 15:41

Obtuse Question: Why is it called a gum-shield when its there to protect your teeth????

Ken is good, but Ryu is bett

Robsco

1319 posts

Saturday 12th March 2005 at 20:44

Probably the same reason why a toothbrush isn't called a teethbrush! The world's gone mad! :-p

The Admin Guy