Back to forum

BJJ n TJJ

Author Comments

Nathan

Addict

175 posts

Tuesday 15th February 2005 at 18:41

Hey guys.

Firstly I'm quitting Traditional JuJitsu and transferring over to Brazillian. As of the 19th of this month. I do enjoy the old TJJ, but It's on the same nights as the Thai Boxing I'd rather do (Monday and Friday) and BJJ I'm starting is on loads of different nights and times, so I should definately be able to get there a minimum of two sessions a week.

The question I want to ask, and I know this applies to Robsco, but probably a few others is this:

Any of you guys who started out in TJJ, and moved on to BJJ, can you see any need to know the Traditional style once you've mastered BJJ?

I mean, the strikes in TJJ are akin to something 'Hong Kong Phooey' would pull off. And all the moves I've certainly seen are all based on defence (I know it's self defence) but self defence shouldn't be based on blocking and grabbing a punch so you can retaliate. Sometimes it's more important to get in first. Because if you're forever blocking punches in the hope to grab one, chances are you're gonna catch on straight on your chin! This is one of the main reason I'm swapping styles. Also, there's no sparring in TJJ. At least not at the club I go to.

Does anyone agree, or am I spouting S**T?

sl

Resident

855 posts

Wednesday 16th February 2005 at 09:48

Think on the most your right Nathan although the strikes are the same in bjj a weakener / distraction type thing... but if your doing the thai thats the best...... My TJJ class has got very ground orientated lately and alot of ground sparring pretty good however the bjj is still the one for me.

Bassmonger

Resident

198 posts

Wednesday 16th February 2005 at 10:25

I really enjoyed my TJJ- there was a fair range of things covered- bit of kickboxing, boxing etc, plus it was well worth it for learning all the basics and breakfalls and stuff. Some of the throws and self defence was pretty useful too.

Having said that, it went pretty shit towards the end, and I don't really miss it that much. BJJ's better and more fun. And as you say, you'd be better off learning striking elsewhere.

In conclusion, TJJ is toss. Well, it's a very good place to start until you find out what you like, since it covers most things. Then it's toss.

DEFEATED IN AL

andy

Resident

729 posts

Wednesday 16th February 2005 at 11:30

seeing as i was robsco and bassmonger tjj instructor, its shite.

"no weapon formed against me shall prosper"

Bassmonger

Resident

198 posts

Wednesday 16th February 2005 at 14:16

Obviously I meant towards the end when most of the instructors (including you) were leaving. I really enjoyed your sessions.

Right, I'll stop bumming Andy now.

DEFEATED IN AL

steve

Resident

217 posts

Wednesday 16th February 2005 at 15:14

Problem with TJJ is that everything you are taught starts from the premise of a 'non skilled attacker' holding you or striking at you from a static base....there is no realism.

Judo, BJJ, Thai, etc, are practices against a mobile & 'free thinking' opponent who is just as determined to beat you as you are to beat him. Therefore your skills are realistically put to the test.

In summary TJJ'ers 'think they are good', Judo players, Thai boxers & BJJ'ers 'know they are good'.

Good points from TJJ base are you learn variety joint / body manipulations. When crossed over to a realistic combat sport the key is to learn to manufacture the opportunities to apply that knowledge effectively.

"Its not the size of the dog i

Nathan

Addict

175 posts

Wednesday 16th February 2005 at 15:45

Yeah Steve. That's a bang on post! There's no realism whatsoever. If they were to add sparring etc to Tjj then it would no doubt be a very useful art. I mean, there is NO DOUBT that the joint-locks and hold are very effective. But they're nigh on impossible to use in a real situation. But it I suppose it increases your understanding etc by training in TJJ.

andy

Resident

729 posts

Wednesday 16th February 2005 at 18:17

tjj is good, its the instructors and training methods which are bad (in this country at least)

ps. above statement doesnt include me!!!!:-p

"no weapon formed against me shall prosper"

Robsco

1319 posts

Wednesday 16th February 2005 at 19:14

Quite true, some clubs obviously don't do much groundwork, or sparring, and stick with the 'traditional' side with their eyes closed. Just glad I had good instructors from different backgrounds (Judo & Boxing).

The Admin Guy

Bassmonger

Resident

198 posts

Wednesday 16th February 2005 at 22:31

Exactly, classes at Castle actually used to be really good. And they'd actually tell you that knife defences were pretty much a load of bollocks and/or a last resort, so there was plenty of realism and no bull.

Still prefer BJJ though.

DEFEATED IN AL

Nathan

Addict

175 posts

Thursday 17th February 2005 at 16:28

Ha ha... knife defences... I read in the syllaus theres defences against guns in the higher grade (honest) Ha ha... I'm pretty sure if someone had a Colt45 pointed at me... I'd definately storm in and pull of a tai-o-toshi followed by the batsman armlock... Who wouldn't...?