Back to forum

Working out advice.

Author Comments

Nathan

Addict

175 posts

Monday 21st February 2005 at 09:48

Hi guys... what do you think of this? This is what I'm going to be doing unless you guys say it's a bad idea. I'm joining the gym, I'm going to go every day during my lunch break at work. I'm going to alternate my training every other day. one day I'll be doing 30-45 minutes of cardio: Treadmill, Crosstrainer, Rowing. And the other day I'll be doing weights to increase my 'Core Muscles'. Namely the 'Seated Row, Bicep Curl, Tricep thingy, Ab crunch thing (that rolly cage thing) and Chest Press...

Would this work? Can you add anything or give me some advice about it?

Cheers guys!

sl

Resident

855 posts

Tuesday 22nd February 2005 at 08:24

Sounds alright NAthan but it depends how heavy the weights off for a big improvment in strngth you need to concentrate on different muscle groups for different days etc..

andy

Resident

729 posts

Tuesday 22nd February 2005 at 17:17

If you want to train for strength and to gain an advantage for your martial arts do compund exercise:

Squat
Deadlift
Bench press
pull ups
Dips
Cleans

dont bother with bicep curls and working single muscle groups unless you are training to look good!!;-)

"no weapon formed against me shall prosper"

Nathan

Addict

175 posts

Wednesday 23rd February 2005 at 10:08

Cheers lads... I posted on bodybuilding.com and got a load of advice on there... I don't wanna look like Mr.Universe, but wanna add some tone to my self. Think I got a progam to get it all going, now the hard part... doing and sticking at it!

crazymofo55

Regular

41 posts

Saturday 26th February 2005 at 16:17

I disagree. I've tried all those core lifts for weeks in a weight training class and gained hardly no strength. True strength comes from muscles you never use that could assist the actions of those core areas. After all chances are very slim that you will do any action in a single perfect motion like you will do on a machine.
I've watched some great amatuer boxers in my town train. They do exercises that provide all different ranges of motions. Strength exercises may involve such things as passing a medicine ball or doing leg lifts in different patterns. For punching power they train on the heavy bag. To build movement they do round and rounds to get used to running at angles. For straight movement they set the stair stepper to the lowest level and try to run for a few minutes. For the midsection they do crunches at different angles to get the sides worked in. For other actions they make good use of free weights. There's no guys at the boxing gym bouncing weight off their chest. The ones that do body build get put in their with a real fighter for a few rounds and get wore down to nothing even with no shots being throw at them.
For fighting, in reality most of those machines are a joke. You can do a bench press, but this does not accuratley simulate the action for throwing a punch because you are in a stance and your body is not static. This is expecially true in ground fighting when you are positioning for leverage, shifting weight to prevent counters, bridging up to roll an opponent, or trying to lock the knee in for a triangle choke, etc. Something like a squat will train your legs to push you straight off the ground standing, but not to bridge you up so you can roll somebody off you. That is the catch. In a fight there is no such thing as absolute certainty to what movements your body will have to make and each action will be fluent rather then sudden, repetitious, and static like that equipment.