Back to forum

Mixing TJJ

Author Comments

sl

Resident

855 posts

Wednesday 31st May 2006 at 14:26

or ballet?

haha.. did you ever start training Robsco???

Robsco

1319 posts

Wednesday 31st May 2006 at 15:28

No Comment. ;-)

The Admin Guy

andy

Resident

729 posts

Wednesday 31st May 2006 at 20:33

rob and training dont mix

"no weapon formed against me shall prosper"

Fu Jow

Regular

39 posts

Monday 19th June 2006 at 16:24

I dont know how tjj would realy hold up in a fight...it usually seems a bit unrealiztic in it's approaches. However, i took a class in GJJ/BJJ...now that seemed more street oriented. Even the punch defenses were effective.

Chuck Norris doesn't sleep. He

sl

Resident

855 posts

Monday 19th June 2006 at 16:50

Dont know i still think it has its place dealing with someone un educated in martial arts you could have a lot of fun.:-D

CoreyL

Regular

27 posts

Monday 19th June 2006 at 17:01

It is unrealistic only if you make it so. It's not meant to be a "he attacks with this so you defend with that" system, it's meant to teach you how the body works and how to make it stop working. Whatever you learn, even the unrealistic defences, are taught as there could be a situation where the technique itself or a variation of the technique can be applied with success.
The effectiveness of any system is based on the practitioner and how he uses the knowledge he obtains.

Ketto Ryu Ju-Jitsu

Fu Jow

Regular

39 posts

Tuesday 20th June 2006 at 03:00

I'm sure a good JJ man is a most redoubdable fighter. But some of those techniques need to be discarded or modified (hence the Gracie version of jj)

Chuck Norris doesn't sleep. He

sl

Resident

855 posts

Tuesday 20th June 2006 at 08:25

indian death lock?;-)

spider

Regular

235 posts

Sunday 16th July 2006 at 15:48

Look, we all agree that training is important. Practise is also important, because you're going to become good at what you've practised. If BJJers/Judoka throw and lock people everyday, boxers/kickboxers hit people everyday and traditional martial artists prance up and down a hall/pretend to hit people in the groin/waggle their fingers near opponents eyes everyday, then that is what they will become proficient at.

The people and the martial arts who came out on top in No Holds Barred, are those that were able to train through fighting, you can't practise any other way.