Back to forum

Is It Worth it?

Author Comments

Robsco

1319 posts

Sunday 17th April 2005 at 21:56

Probably just using the same Proxy then (in Manchester).

The Admin Guy

alski

Regular

73 posts

Monday 18th April 2005 at 12:45

older brother????????

Robsco

1319 posts

Monday 18th April 2005 at 16:38

Mum???? :-))

The Admin Guy

steve

Resident

217 posts

Monday 18th April 2005 at 17:04

Rochdale...only two decent trad JJ instructors I know of in Rochdale, one being Allan Tattersall and the other one of Allan's ex-students Tony Whelan... I wouldn't bother with any others.

"Its not the size of the dog i

joe

7 posts

Wednesday 20th April 2005 at 17:44

you don't mean alan tattersall the bloke who gets his gradings through the post. he has the jujitsu academy in barlow street. i've never seen him in a gi and that's when I knew him a few years ago when i lived in rochdale:-))

steve

Resident

217 posts

Thursday 28th April 2005 at 14:09

You obviously know nothing about him Joe. His was graded up to 6th Dan on the mats by Bob Clarke (WJJF) in the late 80's, and since graded to 7th Dan on the mat in the states in front of the senior Honbu officials of Dai Nippon Butoku Kai Japan (his uki's all chosen by the panel, not provided by himself), then further promoted to 8th Dan following demonstation on the mats, in Kyoto Japan, in the Butokuden (original home of all Japanese martial Arts) in front of the whole assembled Honbu (masters from all over Japan) with the Emporer of Japan's cousin in attendance as guest of honour.....I know this cause I was there also demonstrating in his team, and Ive got the commemorative photos and video to prove it! Get yer facts right instead of voiceing ill-informed rubbish.

sl

Resident

855 posts

Thursday 28th April 2005 at 15:29

You tell em Steve....

joe

7 posts

Thursday 28th April 2005 at 19:41

STEVE, I Knew alan in the 70's when we did kempo ju jitsu under Roy Booth. In the late 70's he was a provisional black belt, so how on earth did he manage to get to sixth dan in say 10 years?!?! He seemed to get a lot of dans in only a few years.

andy

Resident

729 posts

Thursday 28th April 2005 at 22:47

alan tattersal, hahahahahahaha, i know about him through my first tjj instructor hahahahhahahahahahhahahahhahahahahaahahahahhahahahhahahhahahahhaahahhahaahha
:-)):-)):-)):-)):-)):-)):-)):-)):-)):-)):-)):-)):-)):-)):-))

"no weapon formed against me shall prosper"

steve

Resident

217 posts

Friday 29th April 2005 at 09:26

Joe,

You dont get your next grade just because you have had the last one for a long time (you might not be learning anything new and be no better than when you got your last one). You earn grades based on development, furthering your knowledge, furthering your 'art', dedication in coaching and developing others, etc. Andy you should know this, you have made the effort in moving to London to learn from the best, so you should develop your BJJ more quickly than someone like me who does not have ready access to that level of coaching.

Allan was travelling to Dartmoor from Rochdale every fortnight in the late eighties to learn Iaido from Fuji Sensie, then spent time early 90's living & training in Japan for several months each year, on one occasion staying with Haruna Sensei as a guest in his own Home (Haruna held the all Japan Iaido championship title 28 times....he was the best you could learn from).

Andy....I've trained on seminars with most of the UK's so called top Trad Jujitsu teachers, of all of them Allan's is probably the simplest yet most technical style (being aiki based similarity to Daito-Ryu). Allan is respected by many top UK trad JJ instructors, people like Billy Doak, Trevor Roberts and Judo's Allan Petherbridge, though he is equally disliked by many...

I have not trained with him for the last 18 months, as I now concentrate my time into judo and BJJ which are very different from TJJ as they are competative sport not complient demonstration....though Allan remains a very good friend of mine.

Like I said in earlier post I know him, you summise about him.

steve

Resident

217 posts

Friday 29th April 2005 at 09:46

BTW Joe,

Roy Booth (now 7th Dan & living in Australia) was a good friend of my original teacher Jack Holt whom I graded to provisional black with in 1989, I then spent a few years running my own club, before joining with the 93-95, then training to second Dan with Allan between 95-2002.

Incidentally Joe, what grade did you attain under Roy and what have you done since?

steve

Resident

217 posts

Friday 29th April 2005 at 09:49

typo....should have read "joining with Peter Consterdine / Geoff Thompson's BCA 93-95"

andy

Resident

729 posts

Friday 29th April 2005 at 18:09

:-)) at Steve trying to defend what is indefendable (new word, like it?).

"no weapon formed against me shall prosper"

steve

Resident

217 posts

Saturday 30th April 2005 at 13:30

Indefenedable, yep I like it, a good word to describe the intuitive submission I pulled off when sparring last week at GB M'chester.

A double kimura with my legs locking one arm and my arms locking his other arm.....peach of a move:-D

joe

7 posts

Tuesday 3rd May 2005 at 17:20

I'm a 4th dan and trained under r clarke, j steadman and eric marshall. I stopped training awhile back as I fancied a change and started doing triathlons, such as the salford one twice and i have been back doing jj for a few months. Bye

sl

Resident

855 posts

Wednesday 4th May 2005 at 17:32

Who do you train under now Joe?

WayneTKD

1 posts

Wednesday 3rd January 2007 at 09:05

Alan Tattersall

For all you who wish to know Allan Tattersall please take a trip to his school and find out, I am Master Wayne Bamford 7th Degree Black Belt Taekwondo and 2 nd Black Belt Ju Jitsu, former UK Champion, and Assistance national coach to the UAE national team.

I trained under Allan from the age of 13 years, it was this training that equipped me with tools to become the martial artist I am.

If you want to know who I am please check out all the Taekwondo Schools in the Rochdale, Manchester area.

Alan has accomplished a lot in his career and deserves the respect of all of you. I know most of the other instructors you all speak of personally and I can say I have heard of their less flattering reputation; however they have also earned your respect as they have had the stamina to be able to continue a career in martial arts where most of you have failed.

Wayne

Robsco

1319 posts

Wednesday 3rd January 2007 at 13:22

"...and deserves the respect of all of you", nothing against the guy, but that statement is pushing it a bit.

No matter what someone does, it doesn't automatically mean they 'deserve' respect from others, especially those who don't know him.

The Admin Guy