Back to forum

would you recommend the club?

Author Comments

thump

Regular

29 posts

Sunday 10th April 2005 at 12:18

Went to the village tjj club today and was very impressed with mostly what me and my son saw,especially compared to the karate club here.Few question for you experts.Why do the blackbelts have blue tops and different bottoms?what does this represent?...There was the sensi's son aged about 10-12 he was a black belt is this a good thing? i thought karate was slated for kids with blackbelts? The discipline of the kids well there was none.But overall the throws and locks were really impressive we watched kids at brown belt level performing 15 throws and the moves weren't said in japanesse(thank god).So is this club a good alternative for tkd or karate club.:-D:-D

Robsco

1319 posts

Sunday 10th April 2005 at 14:23

Some clubs may have their instructors and coaches in different coloured gi's.

The Admin Guy

trevek2

Addict

119 posts

Sunday 10th April 2005 at 18:03

If the lad was the sensei's son then he's probably been training since he was young. I'd say 12 is ok for a black belt. Maybe there is a junior black belt grade. A little worried that you say there was no discipline for the kids (or was that no kids). If there's no discipline who stops the kids hurting each other? Also, what are you paying for if there aint discipline? Does the junior black belt take the younger class? What is the insurance situation?

See how well I block all your

thump

Regular

29 posts

Sunday 10th April 2005 at 20:20

I just being reading aboutthe bulletman based on adrenaline stress(F.A.S.T DEFENSE).According to this Mr Page 90% of self defense techniques taught in dojo's would not work in the street.Why does every martial art claim to be the best? and which one is the best from a street level? not sport level.MARTIAL ARTS IS HAS BAD HAS RELIGION:-)):-)):-))

sl

Resident

855 posts

Monday 11th April 2005 at 09:27

The ancient art of running away ....

Robsco

1319 posts

Monday 11th April 2005 at 17:11

Yup, run man run!

The Admin Guy

Dave

Addict

183 posts

Monday 11th April 2005 at 21:50

I think giving anyone under 18 a black belt is a fooking joke!!!

As we all know traditional arts and instructors like earning money from gradings which just takes the piiss!

Giving young kids or should i say under 18's a black belt gives them a faulse sense of security. Every kid with a black belt i have met seriously thinks they can handle anyone in any situation. People under 18 arent mature enough to understand or handle real violent situations and therefore shouldnt be given the higher grades.

Just my 2p's worth.;-)

Postman Pat, Postman Pat, Post

Robsco

1319 posts

Monday 11th April 2005 at 22:01

It's a good point Dave, but take any Black Belt in Karate, do they know how to handle a truely violent situation on the street? No matter their age.

Atleast kids aren't likely to meet some crazed drunken p*sshead on the streets.

It depends obviously on the club really, at my old club, even the under 18's Black Belts wasn't full of themselves.

True, giving a black belt with no discipline is a BIG mistake!

The Admin Guy

trevek2

Addict

119 posts

Monday 11th April 2005 at 23:33

I agree to a point about the under-18 bit but then what to do when a kid has been training for over six or seven years? Junior black belts are not usually considered as high as adult ones for just those reasons, like in judo there are certain techniques kids can't do (chokes, arm-locks etc) and in TKD kids can't break (unless you drop them from a great height). Is an 18 year old who has been training for four years more deserving of a black belt than a 16 year old who has been training for ten?

See how well I block all your

sl

Resident

855 posts

Tuesday 12th April 2005 at 08:54

At my old TJJ club they had junior black belts, but they had to regrade at 18 for there black belt from what i know many failed there grading at 18 some still on brown belt....

Im with Dave though a black belt shouldnt be given to kids... And like ive said before i wouldnt whipe my arse on a karate black belt.....

Bassmonger

Resident

198 posts

Tuesday 12th April 2005 at 09:58

What, even if you had nothing else to wipe it on? You'd rather use your hand, or leave it dirty? You're not thinking straight, son.

I think it's common sense that kids shouldn't be given 'proper' black belts- I'd guess most get kids versions or something. I think I'm right in saying you can't even get a BJJ blue until you're 16.

DEFEATED IN AL

sl

Resident

855 posts

Tuesday 12th April 2005 at 10:04

Wouldnt a dirty arse help in sparring:-D

Think Kids have different grading structure thats what ive read some interview with Royler but know they definitely dont do black belts for kids.

Robsco

1319 posts

Tuesday 12th April 2005 at 11:22

I think the kids use yellow and orange in BJJ, maybe even green, but they don't get Blue untill they're 16.

The Admin Guy

sl

Resident

855 posts

Tuesday 12th April 2005 at 12:17

Two belts is good for kids...........

thump

Regular

29 posts

Wednesday 13th April 2005 at 15:03

I have 5 kids and four are boys.They range from 15 to 2 and my opinion is that they couldn't understand the importance of a black belt in any art and what black belt really represents.To them and most kids(even one's with black belts)a black belt is a master who has nothing left to learn.Now this is not becoz they are stupid it is becoz so much fuss is made over black belt.Dan means step in japanesse i believe,so they have taken there first step to a long ardous journey.Even in the martial art world mis guided souls who are experts think that there black belt has magical powers and canmake them fly in the air has well has do martial arts at same time.In boxing you know stepping into the ring no matter how many times you win this could be the time where you lose,there are no belts to say hey i'm good let the gloves and feet do the talking.they should scrap the belt system altogether and maybe some ego trips would go out the window.:-|

Robsco

1319 posts

Wednesday 13th April 2005 at 16:18

Losing belts in practise is a good idea, but then people would stop going, cos they don't see themselves progressing.

not sure if it's a good thing or not, but MA also boosts self-confidence by seeing yourself getting somewhere, even I noticed that about myself after only my 2nd grading in TJJ.

If you're over 16, in BJJ you're probably looking at a year for Blue, then about another 4-5 for Purple, that's why there's always millions of white and blue belts, but not many stick it.

The Admin Guy

thump

Regular

29 posts

Wednesday 13th April 2005 at 23:34

I thought ability was how you determind how well you progressed not a belt,but saying that i can see how belts can keep people's enthusiam to keep paying ang going to th e club:-D.Just another thought are the people going for the belts missing the whole point.It would be interesting if there was a theory side has well has practical and to study the theory side would be part of the grade i.e a written test maybe it would be appreciated more also it would make it more difficult for young kids(the age of six in the sun today black belt 13/4/05)to achieve there first step.(BOY DO I LOVE TO WAFFLE):-)):-))

Robsco

1319 posts

Thursday 14th April 2005 at 00:14

Aye, I know what ya mean, atleast my club taught more around discipline than dangerous techniques to the kids. We just kept them having fun, teaching discipline, and mixed in all that was a 'little' bit of martial arts. Well, what they thought was a 'little' bit.

It's a tough subject, but it really does come down to the club.

Let's face it, anyone could open a club in Poo Kwon Do, and be a Black Belt, and start to teach whatever they wanted, giving out Black Belts to whoever they like.

Not an awful lot anyone can do about it.

The Admin Guy

thump

Regular

29 posts

Thursday 14th April 2005 at 14:12

is a blue belt in bjj trained in usa good enough to teach?

Robsco

1319 posts

Thursday 14th April 2005 at 14:19

Well firstly, it doesn't matter what country you got the belt in.

As for teaching, even if someone was a Black Belt in any style, it doesn't necessarily mean they're a good teacher or competant.

The Admin Guy