Back to forum

Irritating!!

Author Comments

the king is back

7 posts

Monday 2nd May 2005 at 20:21

I really need someones help. Im not a great ground fighter but I've got a good agressive guard (if i do say so myself!) just one really annoying problem is stopping me using these submissions. People can stand out of my guard pretty easy and I don't know how to stop them doing it! somebody pls help! cheers

Derek

7 posts

Tuesday 3rd May 2005 at 10:16

Try holding onto your opponents head, or back of the Gi. This will make it that little bit harder for them to stand up out of your guard. Have you ever tried the rubber guard? Very funny, coz it's fair awkward to get out of....:-))

the king is back

7 posts

Tuesday 3rd May 2005 at 19:13

iv tried holding the head but when someone stands their head seems to slip under my hands and out. The rubber guard? Is that where you overhook both of their arms and hold them down like that?

Dave

Addict

183 posts

Tuesday 3rd May 2005 at 20:11

Guys if you dont have a supple body or very bendy legs/joints then be very careful with the rubber guard or you'll be in a bad way:-D I use the stiff guard:-D No dirty minds people;-)

Postman Pat, Postman Pat, Post

Robsco

1319 posts

Tuesday 3rd May 2005 at 21:19

There are many ways to attack even when your opponent stands, depending on how they control you as they stand. Hooking a leg often works, but only if you know what you're doing. No such techniques on this site unfortunately.

Andy? Care to offer a hand?

The Admin Guy

andy

Resident

729 posts

Thursday 5th May 2005 at 23:07

keep hold of their cuffs, cross your legs around his knees so you squeeze them together. and flip him over your head

"no weapon formed against me shall prosper"

steve

Resident

217 posts

Friday 6th May 2005 at 18:48

Andy...you've pinched that one from Legarto...shame on you!:-))

"Its not the size of the dog i

andy

Resident

729 posts

Friday 6th May 2005 at 18:54

i have never been taught by lagarto, that is a sweep i learnt at the gracie academy back in 2000!

the king is back

7 posts

Friday 6th May 2005 at 21:44

hmmm I was thinking more MMA based so theres no cuffs to hold but I'm sure the wrists will work just aswell.sounds like a good sweep I'll defo give that a shot.
Thanks for the suggestion on attactks against someone standing in the guard rob i can do a pretty good armbar from that posisiton and a half decent knee bar. Shame my heel hooks are so cr*p on a standing guy, im no Marco Ruas.

steve

Resident

217 posts

Sunday 8th May 2005 at 14:57

You will need to close down the distance between you and opponent to pull off the sweep for it to work. Do this by holding wrists / sleeves and then crossing your arms in front of your chest (this will force opponents arms to cross also bringing him onto you....you should then be right shoulder to right shouder with him and sat up). As you then squeeze your legs around his knees and bring your own nkees towards your chest, this will collapse his ballance....at this point you symultaneously rock backwards, pulling him in a sort of sumersault over your right shoulder. If you keep yours & his arms pulled tight in throughout the delivery you should follow him over and land in mount on him.

"Its not the size of the dog i

andy

Resident

729 posts

Sunday 8th May 2005 at 21:05

ok so its no gi, over hook his arm and control the head