Back to forum

Roger wins the whole lot

Author Comments

andy

Resident

729 posts

Monday 30th May 2005 at 13:39

-99kg, absolute and most technical fighter.
First time anyone has won both their weight and abs class in the adcc

"no weapon formed against me shall prosper"

Robsco

1319 posts

Monday 30th May 2005 at 14:36

Bloody hell, excellent news!

The Admin Guy

steve

Resident

217 posts

Friday 3rd June 2005 at 14:01

Andy,

I'm even more envious of you now, opportunity to learn from Roger on a daily basis...my long term driver of being able to eventually catch you up and give you a decent roll is looking more & more unlikely....

"Its not the size of the dog i

sl

Resident

855 posts

Friday 3rd June 2005 at 17:45

Who do you train with Steve?

andy

Resident

729 posts

Friday 3rd June 2005 at 21:32

train with the best, beat the rest

andy

Resident

729 posts

Friday 3rd June 2005 at 21:33

and hes more of a friend than an instructor

steve

Resident

217 posts

Saturday 4th June 2005 at 18:25

I train BJJ at GB Manchester under Carl Fisher (Gracie Barra blue belt), though Carl frequently organises guest coaches to visit...we've had Mauricao & Roger, Braulio a couple of times, Legarto, Escoregga & Judo's Neil Adams.

I also train Judo at a strong North West Club with several Dan grades & some of them GB squad members.

andy

Resident

729 posts

Sunday 5th June 2005 at 21:48

" & some of them GB squad members"

didnt help them much on the ground in sheffield!!! :-)):-)):-)):-))

sl

Resident

855 posts

Monday 6th June 2005 at 12:30

Wouldn't mind doing some Judo enjoyed it when i had a go in liverpool but no clubs... take it there is some history with Andy and the Judoers...

Where about is the club Steve.

steve

Resident

217 posts

Monday 6th June 2005 at 14:12

Old chesnut this one....I took some judo lads to one of Andy's BJJ classes, they did not know anything off BJJ groundwork rules etc, so played to Judo rules, which do not allow neck cranks, face bars, wrapping up using the kimono, spine locks (as in rear naked choke with hooks in) etc.

Hence they were caught out by some of the stuff done to them which they were not expecting.

Andy does forget to mention however that although we had a play in BJJ's unfamiliar arena, none of his lads would even step up to have a play with any of the judo lads in standing play.

If I remember Andy's mate Ross constantly told us how he thought judo was sh1te, but he wouldn't go anywhere near my mate JB who was at the time current British Junior (u20s)Champion, probably cause JB would have lifted him & dumped him without breaking sweat.

To his credit Ross has since experienced Judo, Boxing & wrestling and has a better informed respect of good judo, as I suspect Andy always has had, but likes to keep the banter going & wind me up.

Bassmonger

Resident

198 posts

Monday 6th June 2005 at 16:05

The only thing I remember about that night was the black belt who put me in scarf hold, so I took his back and choked him out.

"Bit of advice mate, the scarf hold generally doesn't work in BJJ, there's a good few escapes and even submissions from inside it."

We rolled again. He pulled me into scarf hold again. I choked him again...

I don't doubt I would have took a beating from standing (I wasn't even a blue belt then), but no-one asked me to try.

DEFEATED IN AL

Robsco

1319 posts

Monday 6th June 2005 at 18:45

I too don't remember being asked to stand against a Judoker, I would've had a go just for a laugh of course. I just seem to remember tapping 2 black belts, not sure if i had my blue belt by then.

"...which do not allow neck cranks, face bars, wrapping up using the kimono, spine locks (as in rear naked choke with hooks in) etc."

erm, we don't do neck cranks or face bars in BJJ, quite frankly face bars are annoying anyway. Although I must say I never knew taking the back and sinking hooks in was classed as a spine lock (with or without the added choke).

Andy, aren't spine locks banned from BJJ anyway? or atleast up to Black Belt competition level?:-))

The Admin Guy

andy

Resident

729 posts

Monday 6th June 2005 at 19:44

steve having memory loss there.

i was told the judo guys didnt want to do stand up. so we did ground, i explained the rules.

Ross rolled with all the guys and beat them.

at the end simon (68kg), offered to do some stand up as the judo guys were looking a bit disheartened.

simon threw the guy.

Robsco

1319 posts

Monday 6th June 2005 at 19:53

Forgot about Simon having a crack.

The Admin Guy

steve

Resident

217 posts

Tuesday 7th June 2005 at 15:24

Seems memory must be affected by training, Ross beat JB when JB rolled onto knees to defend (normal in Judo) and Ross applied a face bar to open up position. I know this cause all the way home JB was groaning about the sore jaw he had got from the face bar & how next time he had chance to roll with Ross he would get his own back.

The BBs Rob beat were probably John, groundwork never been his strongpoint & Simon who came with me (trad JJ BB at the time and never done any sort of groundfighting).

Yes the judo guys came to have a go at BJJ groundwork which they did and enjoyed it (Andy did a good class). What I'm talking about was after the normal class had finished and just Andy, Simon & Ross left having crack with us (Ross dishing judo and telling how in MMA his 'shoot in' would take anyone down, including judoka).

This is when there was a reluctance by Ross who was doing the dishing to have a go at standing play, Simon asked that rather than 'play' would one of the judo guy's show him some judo throws (if I remember he practiced with John using a crash mat).

Robsco

1319 posts

Tuesday 7th June 2005 at 17:21

So someone gets a Black Belt in Judo without being any good on the ground? I thought there was more to Judo than just throwing.

The Admin Guy

steve

Resident

217 posts

Tuesday 7th June 2005 at 17:35

Rob,

Sorry just re-read my post, sounds like I'm de-valuing your wins....what I was intimating is that John's groundwork is not typical of all Judo BBs as he practices it very infrequently wheras the others may have proved tougher opposition. Beating any Judo BB as a BJJ blue belt is a decent acheivement as a Judo BB is used to fighting hard (all grading promotion is through competing & winning / nothing given for a loss) so by nature they will not give in very easily.

Robsco

1319 posts

Tuesday 7th June 2005 at 18:10

Well I'm not after ya blowing sunshine up my arse! :-))

I just thought that Judo gradings were all about fighting eachother to prove yourself and your skills, so to hear that someone is a Black Belt in Judo yet not very good on the ground was a little confusing.

Don't even think I was a Blue Belt back then anyway, which makes it even worse.

The Admin Guy

steve

Resident

217 posts

Friday 10th June 2005 at 11:50

Rob,

I'm still a white belt at BJJ, been training about 15 months now and a blue belt at Judo training 3 years. I can beat majority of judo players at my club on the ground including the Dan Grades who are of similar weight. In stand up I can match those up to my grade, & hold my own fairly well with the brown belts, but with the Dan Grades it is a different story. I think I have maybe scored about 3 throws against them in 3 years, but get thrown by them every training session.

In judo club training generally everything is concentrated around stand up, with very little practice on the ground & when groundwork is practiced it is usually just sparring without much coaching of technique.

What winds me up is judging Judo's effectiveness on groundwork without having experienced the whole thing.

Robsco

1319 posts

Friday 10th June 2005 at 14:21

I just always thought Judo was standing throws and groundwork, obviously not, sounds like a LOT more throwing.

The Admin Guy