Back to forum

Let's get talking

Author Comments

Robsco

1319 posts

Thursday 14th July 2005 at 19:02

c'mon people, we have over 200 visitors each day so surely some of you have questions or thoughts about Ju-Jitsu, or in fact, any martial art.

Don't be shy, I know there's people who come and read this forum but never post, that's what it's here for. :-)

The Admin Guy

Bren

Addict

123 posts

Friday 15th July 2005 at 16:29

An old topic for debate I know........TJJ v. BJJ.

The club I've trained at since I took up jujitsu had changed their syllabus from TJJ to primarily grappling before I started so I've not done a great deal of stand up training, randori, kumate etc.

However......

Over the last few months we've had fewer and fewer people turning up for training so, a few weeks ago, the lads who run the club had a big discussion and decided to change the syllabus back to a more TJJ style but still retaining the core ground-work techniques. Hang on, titter ye not! Lots of people have come back to training again, even a few old-boys who gave up years ago have drifted back.

I've thoroughly enjoyed learning a load of new (new to me at least) throws and take downs.

Weapons katas (Jo staff and Nunchaku this week). Practical? No, but damn they're a lot of fun. I'm dead keen to learn a load more.

Is there anyone out there who can swing a 3-section staff about without fear of knocking themself out or losing teeth? :-p

Robsco

1319 posts

Friday 15th July 2005 at 23:54

I know what ya mean, the traditional stuff is a lot of fun, especially the weapons, and various throws, it's what I started out with afterall.

I always feel the traditional and grappling really need a lesson of their own - there's too much depth to throw in to one class.

Sure ya can mix 'em a little, but not for proper technique, but this would should surely encourage others to go to the other class, either by watching it a bit before the other class, or realising that they had to work on the groundwork for a more complete selection.

Any thoughts?

The Admin Guy

andy

Resident

729 posts

Saturday 16th July 2005 at 10:52

if you are a good instructor you can teach and make anything fun.

people also dont like change, so people left when they changed the syllabus, now they are back doing what they were comfortable doing.

some tjj is fun, some is ridiculous and some is crap.

"no weapon formed against me shall prosper"

Trey

Regular

49 posts

Sunday 17th July 2005 at 00:41

do most high scholls have jujitsu clubs? i just started recently and have no1 to practice with :-|

Power Is Mental And Psyical Su

Trey

Regular

49 posts

Sunday 17th July 2005 at 06:11

wow... what a boring forum

Bren

Addict

123 posts

Sunday 17th July 2005 at 16:33

Don't get negative Trey. There's a lot of experienced voices on here. Rob, Andy, Steve, Sl, to name but a few.

What's your main interest then? (You realize in answering this question you're going to be stated on way or another).

Trey

Regular

49 posts

Sunday 17th July 2005 at 17:06

What's your main interest then? (You realize in answering this question you're going to be stated on way or another).

were u talking to me? if so what do u mean....

anyway, i tend to be negative my nature.... just a flaw of mine.:-|

sl

Resident

855 posts

Monday 18th July 2005 at 09:28

some people dont like to be on the floor, and alot of traditional ju jitsuers dont think its a good place to be (prob not in a street fight). And again people dont like change... if you have a tjj black belt who has trained tjj for years suddenly has to learn grappling where there skills are as good as the whitebelts.... That winds people up, i know from my own experience as a white belt and tapping the blacks while doing back to back....

Bren

Addict

123 posts

Monday 18th July 2005 at 18:16

Sorry about my spelling mistakes there. A Sunday dinner consisting entirely of Guinness.:-p

I meant are you into stand-up (sparing, throws) or ground-work (grappling). Most people tend to prefer one over the other. In fact sl just made my point better than I could have put it.

sl

Resident

855 posts

Tuesday 19th July 2005 at 08:33

:-)) guiness the fighters stable diet!

Trey

Regular

49 posts

Tuesday 19th July 2005 at 08:41

i met a semi-pro matial artist... said his diet was fatty foods... give him padding so he said:-) like that saying....
mor cushion for the pushin':-))