Definately not, cos otherwise you wouldn't post. :-p

Okay, any suggestions?

The Admin Guy

Bren

Addict

123 posts

Tuesday 23rd August 2005 at 11:42

How about "Favourite MA weapon".

I know I have a bit of a fixation at the moment but the summer weather has put me off grappling for a bit and I really like the idea of hitting people with things. :-p

Robsco

1319 posts

Tuesday 23rd August 2005 at 13:21

Good question, consider it done prob tonight.

Now list some weapons incase i miss any...

The Admin Guy

Bren

Addict

123 posts

Tuesday 23rd August 2005 at 14:30

I know of a few of the more common Japanese ones.

Bo / Jo staff (Quaterstaff)
Katana (Sword)
Tanto (Knife)
Sai (Sword catchers)
Tanjo (Kali / Escrima stick(s))
Nunchaku (Nunchucks)
Tonfa (US night stick)
Kama (Sickles)
Naginata (Spear / Pole arm)
3 sectioned staff (Scary, uncontrolable thing)

Don't know anything about Chinese weapons for Kung Fu etc.
Anyone else know of any?

Robsco

1319 posts

Tuesday 23rd August 2005 at 21:53

They're mainly the ones i was thinking of.

The Admin Guy

Bren

Addict

123 posts

Tuesday 23rd August 2005 at 22:14

I forgot Kubotan, I've been told they're illegal to carry but surley a pen or a bit of stick could be used the same way.

Has anyone done any Dim Mak?

sl

Resident

855 posts

Wednesday 24th August 2005 at 09:33

Done some Dim Sum..:-p

Bren

Addict

123 posts

Wednesday 24th August 2005 at 16:56

mmmmmm, dim sum.

[image=http://nohomers.net/content/gallery/homersimpson/homer_drooling.gif]

andy

Resident

729 posts

Wednesday 24th August 2005 at 18:12

dim mak and pressure point fighting is bollocks, before i get in to an argument about Chi and whether it exists or not, i will say i believe the theory becuase i have experienced accupuncture.

but to rely on putting pressure on a certain spot in a fight is bollocks

"no weapon formed against me shall prosper"

andy

Resident

729 posts

Wednesday 24th August 2005 at 18:14

oh and a jo is different to a bo, jo is 4 foot and thinner than a 6ft bo, i could go into the myth of how the jo came about but that wuld make me look like a TMA geek

Bren

Addict

123 posts

Wednesday 24th August 2005 at 19:53

mmmmmmmmm, Chiiiiiiiise

http://nohomers.net/content/gallery/homersimpson/homer_drooling.gif

Staves: I quite enjoy playing with a jo staff but find a bo a bit too long, me being a short-arse doesn't help.

Carring on Andy's point about nerve points, I can't help but find it amusing when you get someone trying to use them on you while grappling ........ "Yeh, as if I'm going to tap out because you're poking me with your finger". :-))

Bren

Addict

123 posts

Wednesday 24th August 2005 at 19:56

mmmmmmmmm, Chiiiiiiiise

[image=http://nohomers.net/content/gallery/homersimpson/homer_drooling.gif]

Ballsed that up, put in the address rather than the gif.

sl

Resident

855 posts

Thursday 25th August 2005 at 09:08

I asked a while back about this atemi attacks and all that.. Apart from annoying your mate they have no home in grappling..

Explain the accupuncture thing Andy never understood how getting stuck with pins can help relax?

andy

Resident

729 posts

Thursday 25th August 2005 at 11:43

it does more than help you relax, it can improve recovery time and really aid rehabilitation.

my mum is head of physio at manchester uni, she studied acupuncture and practiced on me, trust me it works and is some wierd shit

sl

Resident

855 posts

Thursday 25th August 2005 at 12:09

So if you have an injury just by doing acupuncture you can help the healing process?

steve

Resident

217 posts

Thursday 25th August 2005 at 13:22

Chinese chi theory is that energy circulates through the body through meridians / channels in a very ballanced manner, so that all bits of the body get an appropriate share of available energy for them to function correctly. The theory goes on that bit like blood circulation, if a meridian gets blocked or partially restricted than the bit of the body which should be receiving energy through that channel does not get enough and conversely the blockage creates an inappropriate build up at that point. Acupuncture & accupressure are means by which to unblock the restrictions in the meridians, there is also theory that 'chi' can be projected from one person to another without contact to similarly affect the other persons 'chi flow', either in a good way (TCM traditional chinese medicine techniques) or in a destructive way (dim mak), where a blockage is introduced that will allow a medical problem to fester.

Tai chi type exercise is considered a way to maintain / encourage chi flow in correct proportion, chi kung exercise is a way to concentrate chi to particular parts of the body e.g. the shoulin monks using chi kung before having a spear 'snapped' against a part of their anatomy.

Chi kung use in a physical grappling sport would have to be questioned as to 'concentrate chi' requires meditative type relaxation which would not be possible whilst engaged in strenuous physical exertion.

"Its not the size of the dog i

Bren

Addict

123 posts

Thursday 25th August 2005 at 16:32

That sounds really fascinating.

Have you learned any Tai Chi then Andy?

sl

Resident

855 posts

Thursday 25th August 2005 at 16:37

"""chi kung exercise is a way to concentrate chi to particular parts of the body e.g. the shoulin monks using chi kung before having a spear 'snapped' against a part of their anatomy.

Chi kung use in a physical grappling sport would have to be questioned as to 'concentrate chi' requires meditative type relaxation which would not be possible whilst engaged in strenuous physical exertion. """"

Is there any point to it then if its off no use apart from display?