Back to forum

Compulsary Competitions.

Author Comments

Bee

Regular

33 posts

Friday 7th October 2005 at 19:27

Hi. BJJA Latest. A new rule has just been passed to permit you to grade. The BJJA has competitions once or twice per year. there are different disciplines from Sparring & groundfighting to Kata & Random attack. if you are the shy type you can just opt for the sparring. At least it gets you on the mat, and adds a bit of pressure. Bonus!!! we are now doing much more ground fighting i had the Gi ripped nearly off my back the other day.....Fun Fun Fun. What do you think guys...do you approve ??

"Bee"

sl

Resident

855 posts

Monday 10th October 2005 at 07:08

so its more like judo you have to compete to grade?

Bee

Regular

33 posts

Monday 10th October 2005 at 12:21

My post was as clear as mud.soz. Too many people don`t want to compete for various reasons. As you will agree, you don`t know youself if you can "cut it " unless you apply the skills you have learnt. Tackling some numpty in the street should be relatively easy compared to someone with similar skills.
For the less aggresive, Kata will suffice....Bit of a cop out though!

"Bee"

sl

Resident

855 posts

Monday 10th October 2005 at 12:54

so i can compete..... or do a kata... think personally id compete. I still stand by kata is wan*. Traditional Jiu Jitsu comp whats the format a bit of ground grappling (for all you bjjers i use the term grapple as in TJJ back to back where you roll ruond the floor not really knowing what your doing) or proper kick punch throw?

Bee

Regular

33 posts

Tuesday 11th October 2005 at 12:12

Si, have i got you all wrong, or is your love of TJJ waining ?
BJJA comp falls into 4 main categories Random attack, Kata (Your particular favourite....obviously) Sparring & Groundfighting. Yes we have been known to do a spot of "Back to back" but recently it`s kneel face to face & go for it! I appreciate you brazilians will be better versed in the finer points of grappling, but why should you have all the fun.

"Bee"

sl

Resident

855 posts

Wednesday 12th October 2005 at 12:13

i liked my TJJ days even still do a bit at bjj just without the crap like the static punch..

Suppose as always it depends on your club if they teach good groundfighting. mine never and i could tap most of the BB with stuff i picked up from bjj books and Dvds. But to some it up

Random Attack good but not realistic...
KATA..... near on useless...
Ground Sparring... depends on your TJJ coach mine was crap there was no grappling on my syllabus (apart from escaping headlocks on the ground and strangles..)

as always bjj is best..:-p

Bren

Addict

123 posts

Thursday 13th October 2005 at 00:41

It all sounds like a damn good idea to me and the BJJA are big enough to carry it off well. I imagine at lower grades not everyone has the confidence to try the sparring or grappling (I was quite hesitant myself up to orange/green belt or thereabouts) so the kata category at least gives people somthing different to compete at.

What limits do they put on techniques? I suspect things like heel-hooks and neck-cranks are frowned upon?

sl

Resident

855 posts

Thursday 13th October 2005 at 07:58

In BJJ i think kneck cranks and heel hooks are not allowed in competition.

TJJ should go more like that more sparring i also think they should put more grappling in the syllabus and drop some of the uselss stuff..... when i done TJJ my club never sparred we done back to back every now and then and usual throws from a line up (the old right hand static punch..) but never gloves on etc. Sounds like a good thing but i dont think you should have a choice kata / sparring should be one or the other . If i got say my next belt for sparring and you got yours for kata... would my belt be "worth more"????????:0)

:-):-)

steve

Resident

217 posts

Thursday 13th October 2005 at 09:30

Bee,

You train with BJJA in North West?

Is that with Kenny Blundell's Liverpool contingent then, or with Martin Dixon's 'Go Shin' setup in East Lancs?

"Its not the size of the dog i

Bee

Regular

33 posts

Thursday 13th October 2005 at 20:50

I train with Martin Dixons go-shin kempo ju-jitsu. A new web site has just been launched. www.mma.uk.com The new academy will be in use very soon.

"Bee"

steve

Resident

217 posts

Friday 14th October 2005 at 14:43

Ah..so your from my neck of the woods then (I live in Rishton).

I've never trained with or watched the Goshin lot training, but I know of Mr.Dixon and a couple of the instructors (Heath B. & Johnny Cruise).

Bee

Regular

33 posts

Friday 14th October 2005 at 19:41

Steve. 2nd Dan tjj now doing bjj. Where do you train brazilian is it local? Did you train tjj at prime time?

"Bee"

Robsco

1319 posts

Friday 14th October 2005 at 21:35

Dint know you was training BJJ Bee? Everything seems to be linked with TJJ - what's the story?

The Admin Guy

Bee

Regular

33 posts

Friday 14th October 2005 at 21:46

I don`t train BJJ. Just interested to hear if Steve trains in my area. Im still enjoying TJJ but have to admit i really enjoy the ground work. Might be interesting to see a training session, just to satisfy my curiosity. Remember i`m a bit of an old giffer, i guess i have started the game too late. You whipper snappers would probably make origami out of me.

"Bee"

Robsco

1319 posts

Saturday 15th October 2005 at 00:58

Nah don't be daft mate, no martial art should depend on age, and BJJ certainly doesn't - you're fighting mainly on the ground, so imagine fighting in a swimming pool, it don't matter how strong you are, or (maybe) how fast, but it's technique that wins everytime, whether your 80+ like Helio Gracie, or some whipper snapper just out of school.

The Admin Guy

steve

Resident

217 posts

Saturday 15th October 2005 at 21:14

Bee,

Im an old giffer too at 37 yrs (been training MA for last 20). I ran a trad kempo-karate class at Primetime maybe 10 yrs ago, my mates still run it there on a Wed Evening (I call in occasionally, and usually teach the guys a bit of something different, either trad JJ or something from my limited BJJ knowledge, which they seem to enjoy. What they do is no longer my thing, but still good amts and still like to see them. I've been thinking I might put an informal type grappling class on there if I can find the time to make it a regular thing. Just opportunity for people to roll & learn a few bits, cause there really isnt much opportunity to grapple in the East Lancs area. Would probably be an hour or 2 on a friday evening or Saturday morning if I did.

steve

Resident

217 posts

Saturday 15th October 2005 at 21:25

Sorry, rambld on a bit there. To answer your questions I originally learnt 'Tegatani' Kemp-karate under Jack Holt (Mr. Dixon's original art & teacher) then Trad jj in Rochdale under Allan Tattersall, now study Judo under Len Stables / Joe Burns at Shadsworth and BJJ with Carl Fisher at Bolton. Looking forward to forthcoming Roger Gracie seminar Carl is hosting on 6th Nov :-p