Back to forum

Strikes in BJJ

Author Comments

Italian Stallion

18 posts

Friday 30th December 2005 at 16:38

I've never studies Bjj, but I have several relatives who studied Japanese JJ, where strikes and blocks/parries are included. In a modern Bjj school today...are strikes part of the cirriculum at all? And if so, is it pretty much boxing? and does Bjj include any kind of parries to ward off blows. Every fight starts standing up...

Ž„‚Í•\–Ê‚Ì‘Å‚Â ( I will punch

Robsco

1319 posts

Friday 30th December 2005 at 17:43

BJJ doesn't really include strikes, although some instructors may include them.

If ya want striking stuff then you'd cross-train in Muay Thai or Boxing for example.

If two students train in both, there's nothing to stop them sparring with strikes and takedowns, etc. maybe in preparation for a Vale Tudo fight.

The Admin Guy

spider

Regular

235 posts

Friday 30th December 2005 at 20:24

Like Judo, BJJ doesn't really train in strikes. However, also like Judo, some BJJ classes also include self defence aspects that will include strikes. For some reason, the average attacker does so with strikes.

Italian Stallion

18 posts

Friday 30th December 2005 at 22:22

I see, that's interesting...because I personally think that even if you dont want to throw a punch in a fight, and jsut grapple...you should still have a good knowledge of the punching range, and how to defend punches. Are their even any blocks in the system?

Ž„‚Í•\–Ê‚Ì‘Å‚Â ( I will punch

Robsco

1319 posts

Saturday 31st December 2005 at 03:13

I wouldn't call them blocks, more like deflections to close the distance and go for a takedown, etc.

As Spider said, it's a bit like Judo, you train for grappling, not for striking. If you want to learn striking then you'd take up a striking art like Boxing for all-round training.

The Admin Guy

spider

Regular

235 posts

Saturday 31st December 2005 at 10:00

I was drunk when I posted that, so maybe I didn't manage to get my point across.
Judo and BJJ are both sports, that are also martial arts. Due to the fact that they are competitive sports, clubs tend more towards teaching and training for competition than self defence against strikes and weapons. This is understandable, and by the majority of the students will be expected, they joined a Judo/BJJ class, not a self defence class.
The trouble with a self defence class, is that there is no competition, so there is no fighting. As much as you can learn about swimming, you still won't know how to do it untill you jump in the water. (That sounds so cheesy)
To truly learn defence against strikes and how to deal with them when someone is actually trying to do damage, you would have to get in a fight. The safest and legal way to do this would be to take up another sport like Muay Thai, Boxing, Thai/Kick boxing or Mixed Martial Arts.

sl

Resident

855 posts

Monday 2nd January 2006 at 15:02

We train strikes, bag work, pad work, bit of thai as part of our warm up.. also blocks etc and bit of self defence. Think strikes in BJJ are used to close the distance setup for a takedown.

Monkey Balls

Regular

44 posts

Monday 2nd January 2006 at 16:11

There arn't any strikes in BJJ

sl

Resident

855 posts

Monday 2nd January 2006 at 18:51

Think as with any ma it all depends on your trainer.

Monkey Balls

Regular

44 posts

Monday 2nd January 2006 at 22:08

If there's strikes involved then you're being cross trained with some other ma. Its not purely bjj.

sl

Resident

855 posts

Wednesday 4th January 2006 at 15:41

Depends i have a book by Royler and Renzo and they show some basic strikes in that (elbows, kicks) nothing fancy but still "strikes"?

Robsco

1319 posts

Wednesday 4th January 2006 at 19:53

Still not 'proper' striking tho, if you want that you'd go and cross-train in Thai boxing or similar.

The Admin Guy

sl

Resident

855 posts

Wednesday 4th January 2006 at 20:01

Oh yeah never said it was good strikes... just strikes...