Back to forum

TJJ competition

Author Comments

spider

Regular

235 posts

Thursday 12th January 2006 at 23:29

Why is there no competitions in traditional jujitsu? Why aren't there proper kung fu and karate matches where you're allowed to use as much force as you like as in kick boxing?
I think the real flaws with a lot of traditional martial arts is a lack of competition.
There is a karate class in my local gym, with a surprisingly high ratio of girls, nearly fifty percent. Twice a week, they do a warm up, go up and down the gym, throwing a punch or kick with each step, practising their kata. What happens when some drunken bloke right hooks them in the side of the head? Will they see it coming? Who's going to tell them that their first fight on the street is probably going to start when someone rugby tackles them to the ground?

lance

Regular

26 posts

Friday 13th January 2006 at 01:39

The NJJC organise jujitsu comps where you get points for properly landed kicks and punches, throws/takedowns, hold downs and submissions. There's regional and national contests.

steve

Resident

217 posts

Friday 13th January 2006 at 09:16

Lance, what is the NJJC? There was once an attempt in the early 90s to set up the 'National Ju Jitsu Council', by bringing the major Associations together, but this was 'blocked' by the BJJA even though they were not the majority group cause they had the ear of the Sports Council.

I know the BJJA hold comps within the framework of the UNJJ (United Nations of Ju-Jitsu - cheezy or what), but I'v not hard of a NJJC?

"Its not the size of the dog i

lance

Regular

26 posts

Friday 13th January 2006 at 23:12

Yep, national jujitsu council..here's a link to their site

http://217.33.73.68/jujutsu_current/newsite/njjc/about_njjc.htm

steve

Resident

217 posts

Monday 16th January 2006 at 15:06

Mmm...strange. That link does not work, but having looked on a couple of websites which claim affiliation to the NJJC they use the original logo created for it (samurai's shadow sat in front of a fan shaped Union Jack). I say strange because the logo was designed by Allan Tattersall (UKJJA) for use by the NJJC, but as I said in earlier post the NJJC was disbanded befor it ever got started, because of the BJJA's refusal to co-operate with the other large ju-jitsu organizations.

"Its not the size of the dog i

spider

Regular

235 posts

Thursday 19th January 2006 at 16:14

Well, that's new to me. Sounds good.