Back to forum

new user

Author Comments

MJ

Regular

32 posts

Monday 27th March 2006 at 23:15

hi this is my first post on here, im considering starting jujitsu and was just lookin for opinions on its worth i.e. is it useful, worth learning and the sort of time scale it takes to become proficient at it, also what are the advatages/disadvantages to do jujitsu as opposed to say judo, any opinion would be welcome thx

Inveniam Viam Aut Faciam

CoreyL

Regular

27 posts

Tuesday 28th March 2006 at 05:17

What have you trained in before?
Ju-Jitsu can be an extremely effective street self defence form if you've got the right teacher
How often would you train?

Ketto Ryu Ju-Jitsu

MJ

Regular

32 posts

Tuesday 28th March 2006 at 14:48

done a bit of karate, would only train once a week to begin with then maybe increasing it if i got in2 it seriously, i aim to join the royal marines in a few years so it might be quite useful in terms of increasing fitness and just practicality, currently not doing any martial arts tho do fitness and strength training

Inveniam Viam Aut Faciam

sl

Resident

855 posts

Tuesday 28th March 2006 at 15:25

MJ do you mean Ju Jitsu or Brazilian Jiu Jitsu?

MJ

Regular

32 posts

Tuesday 28th March 2006 at 16:02

traditional

Inveniam Viam Aut Faciam

Robsco

1319 posts

Tuesday 28th March 2006 at 17:15

If you're just thinking about once a week then forget it, you won't remember half the stuff by the next time you go training, plus it'll take you forever to get anywhere with it.

2+ sessions a week is what you need if you're serious about it.

The Admin Guy

CoreyL

Regular

27 posts

Tuesday 28th March 2006 at 18:24

The more classes the better...
But don't outright not take it only because you'd only go once a week. You can still learn a thing or 2 if you constantly study/practice what you've learnt that one day a week, your progress would just be slower than most.
Why not take up a weapons based art?
Wish you luck in whatever your choice is... even making that choice is a step in the right direction

Ketto Ryu Ju-Jitsu

Robsco

1319 posts

Tuesday 28th March 2006 at 18:36

Aye, even if you do one proper class a week, but then drill the stuff you've learnt at home everynight for 10 minutes, that'd be ok-ish.

The Admin Guy

MJ

Regular

32 posts

Tuesday 28th March 2006 at 19:01

thats the sort of thing id do, once i start something i do tend to work at it, no point doin something if your not going to do it properly

Inveniam Viam Aut Faciam

Robsco

1319 posts

Tuesday 28th March 2006 at 21:38

That's alright, but there's lots of people out there that will do the minimum required just to be able to say they 'do' something, and try to feel good about it.

If you're gonna do something, ya might aswell throw yourself into it, and be proud of it!

The Admin Guy

MJ

Regular

32 posts

Tuesday 28th March 2006 at 23:01

exactly:-D

Inveniam Viam Aut Faciam

Bren

Addict

123 posts

Wednesday 29th March 2006 at 12:45

Go for it matey. Building up your stamina will be important if you want to be a Booty. You'll notice everyone will tell you that their style is best.

TJJ is really good all-round but it will depend on who you train with and what aspect of it you prefer most as to whether it's the right style for you.
i.e. You might find you perfer grappling to throws and would like to compete, so you'd try BJJ as well (or instead) or you may prefer Randori - Judo, or Sparring - Muay Thai etc.

sl

Resident

855 posts

Wednesday 29th March 2006 at 15:15

just go for it!!!!! see what you like

MJ

Regular

32 posts

Wednesday 29th March 2006 at 15:57

thx for all the replies and advice, think i'll give it a go

Inveniam Viam Aut Faciam