Back to forum

Man vs. Beast

Author Comments

Cobra

1 posts

Wednesday 19th April 2006 at 21:36

Martial Arts maybe effective against people who want to fight you, but what about crazy beasts who want to kill you in the wild. Sure you can have a gun but what happens if you loose it, and you are in the middle of a forest or jungle.

It is imposable for a human to beat up lions, tiger, and bears (oh my) with their bare body because they are too big and strong, but what about large wolves, cougars, or leapords. Sure thay got big teeth or claws, but an average man is several times more stronger than any of them. Not to mention more flexible. As long as your are quick enough to avoid the mouth or claws and get around and wrestle the beast to the ground and do a armbar or something and break the ****ers leg (which will break easier than a human) crippling the beast and then kick in the head really hard a few times and it should do the trick. Isn't the whole point of martial arts to fight with no weapons? Or you can punch or kick or squeeze the throat causing instant death to any beast. I think that it can be done.

I have a huge 180 pound Great Dane and I'm am so used to wrestling with him when even he is at full strenght (and I mean biting at full force) that i have no fear of dogs of any size cause I am so used to getting bit. This is where I got the idea humans don't need weapons to beat beasts around the same weight (or little bigger) than us if you train at it.

Of course many people could use the exuse that my great dane wasn't trying. Maybe he wasn't, but I am sure I can dominate him if things did get out of hand.

What do you guys think. Also, is there any martial arts (like kung fu which is movements from animals) that deals solley with fighting animals like big wolvesand dogs or big cats (with the exeption of lions and tigers of coarse).

Robsco

1319 posts

Wednesday 19th April 2006 at 23:52

I can't remember the name of the program I saw a few weeks back, something like 'bad pets', where they take people off to some army barracks with their out-of-control pets.

One guy took his mad dog who was huge, but the 'instructor' took him down in one go. No strikes or anything, but he had complete control.

From that I'd say it's possible sometimes, but with 'wild' animals I think you're edging your bets.

Domestic dogs is one thing, wild tigers is another!

The Admin Guy

Monkey Balls

Regular

44 posts

Thursday 20th April 2006 at 00:06

Sounds like a good idea for the next UFC:-))

spider

Regular

235 posts

Thursday 20th April 2006 at 00:16

I too wrestle with my dobermann. The fact is that I've never allowed her to bite anyone even in play, and I know she never tries hard to get away. Me wrestling her has helped us bond with me as the pack leader, as I always win. As far as 'training' goes, it has helped me get her under control quicker when a loose dog runs over to attack her, as pinning her to the floor means she can't bite the other dog and get in trouble. I would never try this with a strange dog, unless it was a tiny lap dog or a puppy, as I know this would be very dangerous.
Unless your dog is your pack leader, deciding when you eat, sleep, poo and makes sure you don't go anywhere without his permission, I doubt very much he was doing anything other than playing. Even then I don't think an alpha male would fully attack in order to correct a lower member.
Let me know how it goes finding the wolf sparring partners.

spider

Regular

235 posts

Thursday 20th April 2006 at 00:18

Was that Dog Borstal Rob?

Robsco

1319 posts

Thursday 20th April 2006 at 00:27

Aye that sounds familiar, reckon it was that show.

The 'instructor' geezer didn't sound or look very violent, but the moment the dog went a bit mad and tried to bite him 'slightly' he was down on his back pinning.

The Admin Guy

spider

Regular

235 posts

Thursday 20th April 2006 at 00:35

Yeah, it's all about nipping it in the bud. If you let a dog get away with pushing you about, it learns that it is acceptable behavior. If a dog sees that you are not as capable of being pack leader as it is, then the dog will take on the role, stresses and responsibilities of being pack leader.
For a dog to associate a response from you with a behavior it is performing, that response has to be during or within one second of the behaviour. As you say, he didn't need to be violent, just confident, efficient and in control.

Bren

Addict

123 posts

Thursday 20th April 2006 at 08:43

Gene LeBell, Bear grappler.

[link=http://www.genelebell.com/gallery-bears.html]www.genelebell.com/gallery-bears.html[/link]

Bee

Regular

33 posts

Thursday 20th April 2006 at 12:36

Come on people. When a wild animal attacks you it isn`t trying to piss you off. It generally thinks (some presumption here) that you are going to eat it. If you were fighting for your life would you give them a slap, or try to remove their head! Most predatory animals seem to concentrate on the throat as their focus of attack. I`m a TJJ`er. I can`t find anything in the syllabus about removing a 200LB wild animals fangs from your throat. The guy wrestling the bear...come on.

"Bee"

Bren

Addict

123 posts

Thursday 20th April 2006 at 13:25

Anyone heard this story before?

[link=http://www.darwinawards.com/darwin/darwin1994-13.html]www.darwinawards.com/darwin/darwin1994-13.html[/link]

sl

Resident

855 posts

Thursday 20th April 2006 at 14:07

Well over in the BJJ world we have the matte leo (spelling pants) meaning Lion Killer.

spider

Regular

235 posts

Friday 21st April 2006 at 01:01

I remember, when I was very young and still at school, I got a book out from the library. Due to my immaturity and lack of understanding of the martial arts, I though a karate book would be a good thing to read. I saw a picture in there that showed "a man fighting a bull with his bare hands" and also a picture on the next page of the horn that had been 'chopped off' by the supposed killing blow. I didn't believe it at the time, and since I have seen a spanish film where they were trying to kill a bull secured with two ropes held by men either side, with another man hitting the animal square in it's head with a sledgehammer. After the scene had finished, the bull had been hit more than five times, and despite a slight wobble as it recoiled from each blow, it never even dropped to it's knees.

Bee

Regular

33 posts

Friday 21st April 2006 at 08:17

Si. Respect to the BJJ guys. But i have to reply. I am well impressed that your local zoo leases your club a lion to practice on. Or do you take a trip to Africa to practice this move ? Or, is it actually THE Leo! That lovely fluffy toy one. (whom we all love so much.) Do you actually roll about a bit first before ripping the stuffing out of it. Sorry, man versus large wild cat. You can`t outrun it. Climb a tree..naa. If you aint got a weapon your screwed.:-))

"Bee"

spider

Regular

235 posts

Friday 21st April 2006 at 12:48

[link=http://www.dumpalink.com/media/1116224494/Eaten_alive]'Tame' lion attacking a man[/link]

spider

Regular

235 posts

Friday 21st April 2006 at 12:50

You can search the same site for more clips, there is a fairly sick one about a guy who left his car in a safari park.

Robsco

1319 posts

Friday 21st April 2006 at 15:43

I think if you're talking about bears and tigers, then you'd be screwed. Hell, even Sl's chimp would probably give you a run for ya money.

A pet dog is one thing, but natural born killers is quite another.

The Admin Guy

sl

Resident

855 posts

Friday 21st April 2006 at 18:39

haha it was 'tongue in cheek' but it had to get its name from somewhere?;-)