Back to forum

who would win?

Author Comments

MJ

Regular

32 posts

Thursday 20th April 2006 at 22:21

this question has probably been asked loads of times before and i just wonder what peoples views were, who would win between a good boxer and a good martial artist, (whilst on there feet). i am aware that there are a huge number of variables like weight, height etc but assume there fairly equal and only things like stamina skill etc matter

Inveniam Viam Aut Faciam

spider

Regular

235 posts

Friday 21st April 2006 at 00:53

There are still far too many variables. Rules? What counts as a win? What are they playing? What martial art? Have they got gloves on?

Robsco

1319 posts

Friday 21st April 2006 at 02:13

I think the early UFC's answer that question...

The Admin Guy

sl

Resident

855 posts

Friday 21st April 2006 at 08:35

Royce Gracie :-p

spider

Regular

235 posts

Friday 21st April 2006 at 12:40

UFC 1, Royce Gracie fought a professional cruiser weight boxer. He kept him away with low side kicks, then took him to the ground. From then on it was just embarrassing for the poor boxer. The boxer, frustrated and not knowing what to do on the ground, conceeded without the need for Gracie to apply a submission technique.
Why would a 'good martial artist' stand and trade punches with a boxer?

Robsco

1319 posts

Friday 21st April 2006 at 15:45

I guess ya did say "(whilst on there feet)", so maybe Royce vs that boxer isn't answering the question.

A boxer knows one thing, how to box. A 'good' martial artist knows how to fight. A boxer probably isn't used to elbows or head kicks.

True, the boxer may get a lucky hit, but the arsenal that a martial artist would bring is miles away from the boxers standards.

The Admin Guy

sl

Resident

855 posts

Friday 21st April 2006 at 18:40

Isn't boxing a martial art?

spider

Regular

235 posts

Friday 21st April 2006 at 23:38

I'm not so sure about that. The majority of boxers have far more experience fighting and striking people than most martial artists do. Sure the martial artist knows more moves, like finger eye jabs, but unless he has blinded hundreds of people, he can't have practised this more dangerous techniques as much as a boxer has boxing.
Of course if the martial artist is a Muay Thai fighter, I'd not fancy the boxer's chances of getting anywhere near before his legs get taken out by those shin kicks.
If it's against a Judoka like me and I'm not allowed to take him to the ground I don't fancy my chances. Of course I'd just shoot him before he got the chance to get in his plane to drop his A-bomb. Still not clear on the rules are we?

Monkey Balls

Regular

44 posts

Saturday 22nd April 2006 at 02:41

Boxing is a sport not a martial art.

The martial artist would win, as the boxer wouldn't have the experience to defend himself against kicks, elbows, knees from the clinch etc... The only way a boxer would win is if they where in a boxing match and had to separate once in the clinch.

sl

Resident

855 posts

Saturday 22nd April 2006 at 09:05

if tkd, karate, etc is a martial art then so is boxing!

If were being picky Judo is no longer a martial art is it now a sport???:-D

Robsco

1319 posts

Saturday 22nd April 2006 at 11:55

I didn't know boxing was formed from martial law in the east???

The Admin Guy

spider

Regular

235 posts

Saturday 22nd April 2006 at 15:40

And BJJ was?

Monkey Balls

Regular

44 posts

Saturday 22nd April 2006 at 16:11

tkd, karate, and judo all originated from eastern martial law.
Boxing comes from the sport of prizefighting.
BJJ is a modernised form of japanese jujitsu

sl

Resident

855 posts

Saturday 22nd April 2006 at 19:53

Posted : 2006-04-22 16:11:59 GMT

tkd, karate, and judo all originated from eastern martial law.
Boxing comes from the sport of prizefighting.
BJJ is a modernised form of japanese jujitsu

its bull boxing originated from street fighting and later adopted the queensberry rules for safety! as did judo from ju jitsu (for sport)? as good a martial art as any other art just because most evolved from the east means jack............

And as for BJJ. They flipped the martial arts world noone can deny this as the most effective form of self defense and martial art?? :-p

Bren

Addict

123 posts

Saturday 22nd April 2006 at 20:15

How about combat forms (not sports) which originated in other countries such as France or Israel?

Monkey Balls

Regular

44 posts

Saturday 22nd April 2006 at 20:31

Yeah judo began as a martial art and then evolved into a sport for the olympics etc... whereas boxing has always been a sport.

BJJ alone isn't the best form of defence ;-)

Robsco

1319 posts

Sunday 23rd April 2006 at 03:56

I'm feeling lost from the last few posts.

Who does or doesn't agree that boxing isn't a martial art?

The Admin Guy

sl

Resident

855 posts

Sunday 23rd April 2006 at 09:06

I think it all depends on how BJJ is taught, some clubs put an emphasis on the sport side others sport and defence.

It depends how you define boxing. Take MMA if my two main disciplines are boxing and im a japanese ju jitsu 46thDan master, then i cant be called a mixed martial artist then can i???:-D

sl

Resident

855 posts

Sunday 23rd April 2006 at 09:13

[link=http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/sport/boxing/early_history.shtml]Boxing History[/link]

Monkey Balls

Regular

44 posts

Sunday 23rd April 2006 at 17:17

"Take MMA if my two main disciplines are boxing and im a japanese ju jitsu 46thDan master, then i cant be called a mixed martial artist then can i???"
You can call yourself whatever you want. But since you're just a chimp in a gi, I'd stick to sl if I were you :-p

Just because you use techniques from sports such as boxing or wrestling in MMA it doesn't mean they are martial arts.
MMA is a combat sport where they allow techniques from various martial arts to be used. If you train/compete in this sport you can be classed as a mixed martial artist.