Back to forum

defending yourself?

Author Comments

Robsco

1319 posts

Sunday 2nd July 2006 at 22:17

That's fine, but do you ever go for the reclining leg throw outside a pub?

The Admin Guy

Jon

7 posts

Monday 3rd July 2006 at 05:05

To tell the truth it rarely comes to mind when someone is screaming abuse , they stop look and do one and those stupid enough to have a go ? well lets just say its rare u ever hit just one bouncer lol

Jon Rocks

Robsco

1319 posts

Monday 3rd July 2006 at 10:25

I think everyone's point with this reclining leg throw is that you'd never be tempted to try it against someone - i sure as hell wouldn't.

If you was thinking about dropping your weight like that then you'd go for a double-leg takedown, without fail.

The Admin Guy

sl

Resident

855 posts

Monday 3rd July 2006 at 13:07

yep and once again... you dont really want to by on the floor in the first place. Why not knee them in the balls after the strike to the face???;-)

wee steve

12 posts

Monday 3rd July 2006 at 16:25

sl i'm noticing some massive contradictions in what you say, you say that tjj is shit and bjj is the way to go. Then you say you would not want to be on the floor in the first place hmmm! slightly confusing, when your sparring partner hits you with them gloves does he strike quite hard? A simple leg throw after a block may be slightly easier than a reclining leg throw especially if you strike into the leg to break the balance rather using the other hand to lift. You have to remember people who fight in pubs are generally pissed meaning they have little balance anyway.:-p

Robsco

1319 posts

Monday 3rd July 2006 at 17:27

Hey Steve,

TJJ isn't great for street self-defence, BJJ is better so you know how to deal with fighting on the ground IF YOU HAVE TO.

NO-ONE looks to take a fight to the ground unless you know damn well the other doesn't have all his mates surrounding you.

Common sense really... isn't it?

The Admin Guy

bertie

5 posts

Monday 3rd July 2006 at 17:28

do what my friends dad did, find a brick and smash it on their head.

wee steve

12 posts

Monday 3rd July 2006 at 17:57

True enough so the question then should be how good is bjj for self defence? I 'm training mainly in tjj but learning some bjj too because 1, it's fun and 2 it's good for your stamina. However i think for self defence purposes i would always like to if possible stay on my feet, deck the oponent then if he is able to get up strike him and leg it, thats my attitude. (you might say it's not nice to hit someone when their down my attitude is they should not be attacking me)I don't think you need to be great on the ground to defend yourself either. half decent ground skills should be more than enough for a fight with an untrained thug.

Robsco

1319 posts

Tuesday 4th July 2006 at 00:39

In my view, TJJ is good for controlling a drunk uncle at a party. BJJ is more solid street self defence, one-on-one.

If you're attacker has a group of friends, you won't hang around to find out which style is best. ;-)

The Admin Guy

Robsco

1319 posts

Tuesday 4th July 2006 at 00:40

... Although if you'd like to recommend one, feel free!

The Admin Guy

sl

Resident

855 posts

Tuesday 4th July 2006 at 08:25

Steve, i wouldnt want to go on the ground because of the mate factor but it happens the amount of fights i had growing up all went there. Im confident enough in my stand up not to have to take someone down but if it did end up on the ground i think my BJJ is good enough to control the situation.... it might sound like im contradiciting myself but id rather know bjj than not... (it is fun.....;-)).

And hitting someone on the floor will get you minimum two years probation or maybe locked up.... :-p

wee steve

12 posts

Friday 7th July 2006 at 11:06

True you could end up in jail for hitting someone while they are on the deck and quite rightly so. I think the words coward and thug spring to mind. However i am not talking about rugby kicking their head off, i am talking about a fight ending blow that won't do long term damage such as a semi hard such kick to the nuts, remember we are talking about someone who has attacked us, if you let them up they may do it again, and you may not be so lucky. I always do all i can to avoid confrontation and would not fight unless i really, really had to, my temprement is pretty good but if i was attacked i would not lose any sleep over kicking a thug between the legs personally i'd be more worried if i had to choke him out.

sl

Resident

855 posts

Friday 7th July 2006 at 14:31

Wee Steve has just kicked the correct in the nuts.... i like your thinking....

jiu jitsu jack

10 posts

Friday 7th July 2006 at 16:25

i was recently involved in a fight and i quickly found the clinch to be a great place for the situation. the fight was broken just before it hit the ground but i had avoided nearly all the guys punches!!! he looked f#.!*d up!:-)) jiu jitsu is the best and it gives you so many opertunities and different wayz to handle a confrontation!

spider

Regular

235 posts

Saturday 8th July 2006 at 08:12

Throws will work, but only if you've become really good at them by having your mate, boxing gloves etc.... It's called training. I've performed Ogoshi in a fight, and morote gari works in the UFC, and against my mate trying to punch me.

jiu jitsu jack

10 posts

Sunday 23rd July 2006 at 20:22

throws eg. the hip throw and body drop etc. work best when you are in extreme contact with your opponent eg. (he strangles you)
the best throw for a 'stand off' would in my opinion be the 'double leg' but then, you gotta be confident with your ground skills coz theres only one place all these throws end up on the street!!:-p