Back to forum

Juko Ryu Ju Jitsu

Author Comments

wee steve

12 posts

Sunday 18th June 2006 at 14:27

Hi guys and girls i have been doing TJJ for the past year in London and today i found out the ju jitsu i study was derived from Juko Ryu system of Ju jitsu. What does this mean and what is the difference between this and other forms of TJJ? Any thoughts?

Fu Jow

Regular

39 posts

Monday 19th June 2006 at 16:15

Basically, it's just a variation from Japan. Ju Jitsu itself is a self-defense oriented art, and therefore lends itself to be constantly "mended" or adapted by each of its teachers. as far as I can tell, there is no central grandmaster of Ju Jitsu...and no main style. The style that some members of my family was taught was basically the "Sensei John Marcello" style....it changes with each new master's adaptations.

Chuck Norris doesn't sleep. He

sl

Resident

855 posts

Monday 19th June 2006 at 16:48

why are you only thinking about this after a year of training?

wee steve

12 posts

Monday 19th June 2006 at 21:53

Thanks Fu jay interesting answer. Yes i was thinking about that after a year of training because i was unaware the style i've been learning was based on Juko Ryu. I have done other styles of ju jitsu before which were simalar so i assumed Japanese ju jitsu was Japanese Ju jitsu. Don't make me angry monkeyman:-))

Fu Jow

Regular

39 posts

Tuesday 20th June 2006 at 02:58

Yea...thats JOW buddy...dunno where the jay came from. But anyways, it seems that jj is constantly evolving and changing, so its hard to tell what juko ryu pertains to.

Chuck Norris doesn't sleep. He

wee steve

12 posts

Saturday 15th July 2006 at 16:35

Well after some more probing i think i have my answer so i thought i'd share it with everyone.

"What was the name of Blundell's original art/style?

http://shirobara.co.uk/jujitsu/what.htm

"(...) The style of Ju Jitsu we teach at Shiro Bara is what is commonly known in the UK as Juko Ryu. Soke James Blundell formulated and introduced this predominantly unarmed style to the UK in the 1960’s.

Before the Second World War Soke Blundell was a merchant seaman and spent much of his time in the Far East. During this time he studied many different styles of Ju Jitsu under a number of different masters. Upon returning to the UK Soke Blundell formed the Lowlands Ju Jitsu club in Liverpool and then the British Ju Jitsu Association where he taught most of the today’s Ju Jitsu masters in the UK, including Allan Tattersall (8th Dan), Robert Ashworth (7th Dan), Robert Clarke (9th Dan), his son Kenny Blundell (7th Dan) and many others.

Unfortunately, Soke James Blundell passed away in 1990 following his second stroke and at this time many of his senior students formed their own clubs and associations such as the World Ju Jitsu Federation (Robert Clarke), The United Kingdom Ju Jitsu Association (Allan Tattersall) and Nippon Dai Budo Kai (Robert Ashworth).

If anybody would like to find out more about Ju Jitsu then please feel free to drop into one of our classes. We teach the traditional Juko Ryu syllabus introduced by Soke Blundell (...)"

sl

Resident

855 posts

Tuesday 18th July 2006 at 16:55

Where is lowlands steve?

wee steve

12 posts

Tuesday 18th July 2006 at 17:06

I don't have a clue i train in beckenham which is just on the edge of outer London and kent. I only used that as a quote to explain what Juko Ryu is.

sl

Resident

855 posts

Tuesday 18th July 2006 at 19:35

ok no problems just thought it was based in liverpool!

JJCOSSY

3 posts

Thursday 28th September 2006 at 12:34

the lowlands is in west derby in liverpool:-O

Don't hate the player...Instead learn from him