Back to forum

Hit me.

Author Comments

Bee

Regular

33 posts

Wednesday 19th July 2006 at 12:34

Hi to all, it`s been a while since i`ve posted. I want to list about ten attacks you may expect from your local thug. Its just something i want to practice, and to give my nephew some pointers.(Defences against!) You know. The big "Hay maker", "Glasgy kiss", Kick in the spudz. He seems to have a problem in running away, so if he`s going to stand there he might as well have a rough idea of what`s coming, and how to defend it.

"Bee"

wee steve

12 posts

Wednesday 19th July 2006 at 12:46

Hi Bee interesting to mention the haymaker as a punch, anyone got any favourite techniques to defend against that? I always thought that the drawing ankle throw would work quite well. It does in Steven Segal films anyway. Other common attacks include being pinned from behind either round the neck or by the arms so his mate can lay into you.

sl

Resident

855 posts

Wednesday 19th July 2006 at 13:56

Headlock escapes?

Bren

Addict

123 posts

Wednesday 19th July 2006 at 16:03

Grapping a handful of your shirt or lapel must be one of the most common along with the old forehead-to-forehead "come on then" stupidity.

spider

Regular

235 posts

Wednesday 19th July 2006 at 18:25

Statistics have said that ninety five percent of street fights end up on the ground. Also lot of fights start whilst people are practically touching face to face, chest to chest.

sl

Resident

855 posts

Wednesday 19th July 2006 at 18:59

yeah what about a few sweeps from guard?

Robsco

1319 posts

Wednesday 19th July 2006 at 20:45

More to the point, what about the rhythm stick? :-))

The Admin Guy

sl

Resident

855 posts

Thursday 20th July 2006 at 08:15

What type of site is this Robsco if you wanna go round bashing people with your Rythm stick hahahahaha :-O:-)):-))

Bee

Regular

33 posts

Thursday 20th July 2006 at 12:02

was that a song by Ian Dury & the Blockheads. (Probably wrong). Hell Robsco you must be as old as me. no wonder you can`t train any more.

"Bee"

Bee

Regular

33 posts

Thursday 20th July 2006 at 12:14

Spider. Most fights end up on the ground. Surely the perfect fight should last as long as it takes to land a couple of good strikes. Going down (as it were) leaves you open to all sorts of anomolies, ie he may not be alone. All the chest to chest & forehead to forehead stuff. You deserve a knee in the nuts if you let yourself get in that position.
O.K. another one. At what point (If you are being threatened.) Can you decide you have to take them out. Without being seen as the aggressor.

"Bee"

sl

Resident

855 posts

Thursday 20th July 2006 at 12:34

as soon as possible..... im sure the law says you can preempt the attack or something ? ? ? ?

CoreyL

Regular

27 posts

Thursday 20th July 2006 at 16:43

Depends where you live, but my understanding of that is if you feel threatened with violence you can be the one to strike first.
All depends on what you can justify though. If he's screaming he's gonna take your head off I'd say hit first. If he's giving you the "stink eye" or something like that, nothing too confrontational yet, you might want to wait and see if things escalate.
Also if there are witnesses to the event you need to think of things through their eye. Your opponent is in your face screaming at you, you've got your hands up in a non-confrontational manner, odds are if you drop him with an elbow witnesses will see it as you being scared.
Of course the most important saying is it's better to be tried by twelve than carried by six.

Ketto Ryu Ju-Jitsu

Bren

Addict

123 posts

Thursday 20th July 2006 at 18:09

Intimidation justifies the use of force to defend yourself. So as long as your statement to the "Old Bill" makes it clear you felt "intimidated" you're in the clear, provided the other bloke isn't maimed or dead, obviously that wouldn't look too good.

Bren

Addict

123 posts

Thursday 20th July 2006 at 18:19

Spider.

"Statistics have said that ninety five percent of street fights end up on the ground."

I've heard that quote before, but where did these statistics come from? Did someone carry out a statistical analysis of cctv footage at some point.

Robsco

1319 posts

Thursday 20th July 2006 at 18:36

If you think you are about to come under some sort of physical attack, you can use the same amount of force to defend yourself with the pre-emptive strike.

If someone points a gun at you and is threatening to kill you, you can shoot and kill.

If someone is just 'in your face', then ya can't shoot em, but ya can knock their lights out if you think that's what they're gonna do.

The Admin Guy

wee steve

12 posts

Thursday 20th July 2006 at 18:56

I'm always a little sceptical when statistics are used. 1st of all where did that statistic come from secondly where did they get their information and thirdly how acurate is the information? I am not disputing that a lot of fights end up on the ground but i think 95% is being a little optimistic. I find it hard to believe:-)) that in only 5% of fights people are able to win with a good strike such as a headbutt.

Robsco

1319 posts

Friday 21st July 2006 at 16:01

But what happens after the headbutt if you don't knock them out stone cold? They come back and ya fall to the floor.

I think it's quite believable if you just think about it for a minute.

But remember, over 75% of statistics are made up.

The Admin Guy

Bee

Regular

33 posts

Friday 21st July 2006 at 21:48

Is it true that a head but is regarded as illegal, whatever the circumstance. But, on the receiving end of one give us some defences. Duck your head so they wipe out their nose on your head? Straight palm heel? Move to one side and give `em an elbow? Back off & Kick?
Any more attacks for my list. (Original question.)

"Bee"

Willsleeptilnoon

8 posts

Sunday 23rd July 2006 at 02:56

The guy shouldn't be close enough to headbutt you if your playing it smart. Keeping your distance is the first most important thing if you're confronted. Obviously there could be circumstances were you have no room to keep your distance (i.e. a crowded bar), but I teach my students to end the fight before it starts if they feel threatend and the attacker has moved into their personal space.

"What counts is not necessaril

spider

Regular

235 posts

Monday 24th July 2006 at 09:04

Bren, yeah, I've heard it lots too. All I remember about it was that it was reported by a police force. It's likely come from CCTV. Every street fight I've ever seen goes to the ground with a headlock or shove or something. Most fights start with extreme pressure to move forwards into each other, a lot of the time it's just a case of losing footing. Most fights start whilst the people are drunk, they can stumble over just from missing their own punch.

Bee, thanks for the advice. I now head kick every man, woman and child that comes remotely near me. It's now very easy to find me in a night club.

Renzo Gracie states in Mastering Jijitsu, that most fights start in 'clinch range'. This is due to people trying to intimidate people into backing down, you never know for sure if it's going to be a fight until someone starts actually attacking.

The law is always a grey area, but you are able to defend if provoked and threatened. Once again it's all about minimum force.