Back to forum

jujitsu

Author Comments

shameless

4 posts

Tuesday 25th July 2006 at 16:03

Hi, i have recently started studying japanese jujitsu, but im still not very good!
I was just wonderin how long on average it takes until you start to get good at the techniques?
Any answers are appreciated. Thanks

Veni , Vidi , Vici

CoreyL

Regular

27 posts

Tuesday 25th July 2006 at 16:12

To add a simple technique to your arsenal, such as the Kotegaeshi, can come as quick as 1 class, but to fully understand the concept of how it works and why, to be able to apply it in a hundred different ways, can take years.

Ketto Ryu Ju-Jitsu

sl

Resident

855 posts

Wednesday 26th July 2006 at 08:17

Just keep turning up and maybe walk through the moves at home youll be surprised at how much you actually know.

spider

Regular

235 posts

Wednesday 26th July 2006 at 10:48

Yeah, spend a little time at home, studying what you did that night will seriously cut down the time it takes to learn things.
Usually people spend half the next class time trying to remember the things they did last time. Taking the time to get it straight in your head outside of class, will greatly improve your ability to learn in class.
To answer your question, people vary a lot. However there is nothing better than high attendence and enthusiasm to get you there quickly.

sl

Resident

855 posts

Wednesday 26th July 2006 at 12:42

i always found if you show willing the instructor will show more willing towards you and help you out...

Bren

Addict

123 posts

Wednesday 26th July 2006 at 15:51

From personal experience, when I took up MA, most of what I was learning was completely new to me and so (having no sense of rythmn or dexterity) I had to break the techniques down and think my way through each one.
eg. right hand there, left hand there, right foot, left foot, turn to the right etc.....(sounds a bit like the Hokey-Cokey).
After a while you'll find that you start to move, block, strike etc without thinking where to put your hands and feet.

As the lads have said, it will all come with time and practice. Don't start putting yourself down if you don't pick everything up straight away. Enjoying what you're doing is the key to sucess.

As long as I'm enjoying myself I don't really care if I'm that good at it straight away (ask my girlfriend). ;-)

Robsco

1319 posts

Wednesday 26th July 2006 at 17:57

Spider got it spot-on, spend time at home after the session just going through what you've learnt that day, no doubt you'll have forgotten stuff already, but the stuff that totally fresh in your head will stay there if you keep going through it everynight.

An average class is probably between 1 and 2 hours long, and in that time you'll get shown lots of different things to keep you interested and not get bored of the same stuff. The problem with that is, if you wait till the next session, as Spider said, you'll have forgotten loads of it.

The Admin Guy

shameless

4 posts

Wednesday 26th July 2006 at 20:46

Yeah i've been going through the stuff in my head but i do tend to forget!
I'm just going to stick at it and start doin my belts.
Thanks for all your help guys.

Veni , Vidi , Vici

sl

Resident

855 posts

Thursday 27th July 2006 at 16:15

best way shameless just turn up.... the rest is easy... :-D