Back to forum

New to forum and Ju-Jitsu

Author Comments

Tony

2 posts

Thursday 19th October 2006 at 13:14

Hi,
I've been wanting to do a martial art for a long time but wasen't sure which one was , well, any good!!!!! I've been reading alittle about Ju-Jitsu and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice and if anyone knows some good clubs in manchester(better in oldham somewhere).
Thanks

Robsco

1319 posts

Friday 20th October 2006 at 09:11

Hi Tony,

Welcome to the site and the forum.

I'm sure there'll be a few of our regulars who train in and around Manchester. Are you looking for a traditional Jujitsu club, or Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.

The Admin Guy

Tony

2 posts

Friday 20th October 2006 at 10:02

Hi Robsco,

I'm not sure to be honest, are there big diffrences? Is there a better one? I know that BJJ is more ground fighting and that!!

spider

Regular

235 posts

Friday 20th October 2006 at 12:05

In my experience, BJJ is much more fighting an unwilling partner, traditional is fighting a willing partner. BJJ is practising sparring and fighting, traditional is coming up with theories of why techniques should work.

sl

Resident

855 posts

Friday 20th October 2006 at 14:59

im always willing in bjj!!!! :-p

spider

Regular

235 posts

Saturday 21st October 2006 at 02:11

Willing to let the other person win?

sl

Resident

855 posts

Sunday 22nd October 2006 at 18:02

no willing to NOT let them win. But i see what your saying.

ninja9578

Regular

92 posts

Tuesday 24th October 2006 at 19:06

If you want to learn how to defend yourself then bjj is the way to go. It's proven to work, old UFC (before adding sanctioning and lots of rules) were dominated by BJJ and Judo.
EDIT: If you live in a high crime area where you may have to defend yourself against knives then I'd recommend Krav Maga, I've never done it, but I know that it is brutally effective.

Blue Belt - Gracie JJ
3rd Degree Black Belt - Shorin Ryu
Red Belt w/ two stripes - Soo Bahk Do

spider

Regular

235 posts

Wednesday 25th October 2006 at 18:05

My mrs wanted to do Krav Maga, but the pricing was just as brutal for the courses she's found so far.

ninja9578

Regular

92 posts

Thursday 26th October 2006 at 18:31

I wouldn't know, I've never seen a Krav Maga course, there can't be that many instructors, the style is only as old as the new Israel, right?

Blue Belt - Gracie JJ
3rd Degree Black Belt - Shorin Ryu
Red Belt w/ two stripes - Soo Bahk Do

jonnyriley

Spectator

3 posts

Saturday 23rd May 2009 at 20:37

hi tony .i know it was a while back you was asking of clubs in manchester and oldham,but i've only just joined this site and getting to grips with this computer stuff anyways,i go to one club in failsworth oldham,chris browns dojo,gracie barra purple belt.they have a web site bulldogmartialartsacademy.its mainly bjj dependent on the day.they also do mma, judo,jkd.and i also go to manchester ground and pound near picadilly gardens.they also have a web site.the three instructors have competed in cage rage and other comps.tues and thurs no gi bjj.i've done seminars their with vitor shaolin riberio and at chris's place with many blackbelt world champs one being lagarto.anyway hope this has been helpful to you and maybe i'll c u on the mat.peace!

jriley

Scud

Spectator

2 posts

Tuesday 26th May 2009 at 07:36

Man I love my stumble button. It brings me to so many wonderful places i would never have thought to look for.