729 posts

Friday 27th April 2007 at 21:53

which would you teach your kids first?

"no weapon formed against me shall prosper"

spider

Regular

235 posts

Tuesday 29th May 2007 at 15:09

If you're teaching your kid, then boxing is far more practical. Don't everyone start getting excited about which is superior, it's just easier to teach kids to hit thing and dodge things than grappling.

They've seen far more movies and games with striking in, so they can more easily relate to it. They love getting to hit the punch bag, kick the pads, sparring.

I'd like to teach my kid grappling, but I can't demonstrate anything, or have her practise anything, because she needs a training partner. You can at least spar a bit with them, but the difference in weight and limb length makes grappling ridiculous until they are in their teens at least.

The only alternative was Traditional Jujitsu, luckily available at her own school. After red belt, the interest faded, and she was only doing it to please me anyway, and because she liked to kick the pads.

Kung-Fu

Spectator

31 posts

Sunday 3rd June 2007 at 15:43

Yea, it's kind of hard to teach your kid BJJ at a young age but I think in the long run it would be best to teach them Jiu-Jitsu since it is really more of a self defense kind of art and has applications when headlocked, bear hugged etc...all the crap that happens in a schoolyard

Fu Jow Pai Kung Fu, Gracie Jiu Jitsu, Boxing

"He who conquers men has force, he who conquers himself is truly strong." -Lao Tzu

tafster

9 posts

Wednesday 6th June 2007 at 12:39

If you've just got a child and are looking to teach then boxing makes more sense but I think that learning grappling from a young age has benefitted my technique

Jasper

Spectator

20 posts

Wednesday 6th June 2007 at 13:11

Neither..I'd go for an inbetween option, start with Muay thai or kickboxing to develop balace and co-ordination and the nature of the art then move onto BJJ and groundwork, takedown techniques.

Most fights start standing up

Kung-Fu

Spectator

31 posts

Saturday 9th June 2007 at 15:41

THe Gracies were able to start training their children at a very young age. And in reality even if you can teach your kid BJJ, teach them the striking aspects of the art as well because without that they may not be wary of a kid can punching them in a fight

Fu Jow Pai Kung Fu, Gracie Jiu Jitsu, Boxing

"He who conquers men has force, he who conquers himself is truly strong." -Lao Tzu