Back to forum

First 'proper' competition

Author Comments

Mobstarr

Spectator

45 posts

Wednesday 4th July 2007 at 21:54

Hey guys, just wondering if any of you would be able to offer me some advice its my first proper competition this weekend and its a grappling one, i've only been in a handful of comps and they were when i was a kid. so aby advice on how to prepare or what to expect would be greatly appreciated!

Regards
Mob$tarr

"Its not the chances we get in life, its what we do with them that matters"

2nd Dan Traditional Ju-Jitsu (Kensho Ryu & Kano Bushi Ryu)

"In the shadows, waiting for my time..."

www.pmaa.co.uk

Robsco

1319 posts

Wednesday 4th July 2007 at 22:35

As difficult as it may be once the adrenaline starts pumping, keep an ear out for your corner, they see everything you can't.

Keep cool and calm, take your time, once a fight starts, it gets incredibly fast, and you may start to panic to do things.

One thing I noticed in my first no-holds barred fight was that I literally forgot every technique, and i mean everything, it took me a couple of minutes to realise what I was doing.

The Admin Guy

andy

Resident

729 posts

Wednesday 4th July 2007 at 23:18

you need to censor these ads rob!!!

real jock? wtf?

"no weapon formed against me shall prosper"

Robsco

1319 posts

Thursday 5th July 2007 at 01:05

They must be detecting it's you.

The Admin Guy

Davies1978

Spectator

20 posts

Thursday 5th July 2007 at 13:42

No advice but I wanted to wish you luck. Do your best, then you can be happy with yourself.

I like pies

green sid

Spectator

33 posts

Thursday 5th July 2007 at 18:53

Make sure you know the rules beforehand, last comp I went to my mate was disqualified. Obviously train hard, ease up a few days before, rest eat and drink well. Go and enjoy it. Good luck.

Jam7373

Spectator

2 posts

Friday 6th July 2007 at 00:36

Well for me it doesn't really go that fast once the match is on the ground, and then its all up to you to recall your training and submit your opponent.

Jitsu-Jew

11 posts

Friday 6th July 2007 at 14:43

Make sure you relax, but not to the point that you don't do anything in the beginning. Take it to him from the get go (especially if you have good take-downs). Also look at the matches before and after yours to get a feel for the guys you'll go against later (after you win the first one!!).

Your toughest opponent is always your best effort.

Mobstarr

Spectator

45 posts

Saturday 7th July 2007 at 18:41

Well cheers for all the good advice guys but the comps been cancelled :( due to the arena being flooded, bit gutted but never mind!!

"Its not the chances we get in life, its what we do with them that matters"

2nd Dan Traditional Ju-Jitsu (Kensho Ryu & Kano Bushi Ryu)

"In the shadows, waiting for my time..."

www.pmaa.co.uk