Back to forum

What Should Little Guys Focus On?

Author Comments

Spoonfed

Spectator

5 posts

Wednesday 22nd August 2007 at 07:55

Hi guys – I need some words from the wise…

I am 6’ but weigh only around 65kg. Most of my fellow wrestlers are a minimum of 10kg heavier so I really struggle to make an impact when sparring. Drills I can manage, but they are so far removed from the reality of someone heavier and stronger than you actively resisting, and trying to defeat you at the same time!

Are there any techniques that I should try to focus on to try to redress the balance, as invariably I end up on the losing end? Even when I am in a mount, I don’t really have the body weight to pin most of the guys down.

Anyone else struggle with size?

ninja9578

Regular

92 posts

Wednesday 22nd August 2007 at 14:52

I'm only 135lbs and I grapple guys well above two hundred and win. You're probably going to end up on the bottom so any submissions from bottom. Practice going down and pulling him into your guard.

Triangle choke seems to be my favorite against someone bigger, but arm bars do too. I think they work so well because they are leg techniques and no matter how big the guy is, his arms are not going to be stronger than your legs.

Blue Belt - Gracie JJ
3rd Degree Black Belt - Shorin Ryu
Red Belt w/ two stripes - Soo Bahk Do

Bryce Doherty

Spectator

10 posts

Monday 17th September 2007 at 10:44

I am 5'10 and bout 12 stone, so average size. But when grappling and sparring with the likes of some of the door men who train in my ryu I too can struggle.

If you are on the ground smother your opponent and make them work to move you and make them tired. When standing I tend to go for big take downs like spears or move around and make them tired. Having a higher fitness level obviously benefits here.

"Shear blunt trauma, followed by technical form!"

Sheepingly

Spectator

1 posts

Monday 24th September 2007 at 17:52

Also even with more experience technique wise the newbies end up overpowering me with their strength because I'm female. So what should I do?

I may be a girl, but I can really take em down!

Robsco

1319 posts

Monday 24th September 2007 at 21:43

Work on your technique more and try to deflect their strength, it takes a while, but when you get it and end up being relaxed and literally 'playing' with the guys it'll be worth it, although it may hurt some egos. :o)

The Admin Guy