Back to forum

starting up own ju jitsu club need help

Author Comments

inch-high

Spectator

4 posts

Wednesday 5th September 2007 at 16:37

hi im dean n im starting my own ju jitsu club up im 19 n was stdying da art for 3yrs not done it 4 ages now i was a doublr blackbelt n double graded all my exams and also im looking for gregg laidlow or terry dunno last name i think gregg is a copper in blackpool n terry frm leylad n i need help startin up also i would like help in creating my own style of this martoal arts because areas could be improved to my liking plz contact me on inch-high@hotmail.co.uk im dean bellingham frm leyland now newcastle

andy

Resident

729 posts

Wednesday 5th September 2007 at 23:10

grammar and spelling lessons will help, especially when writing your syllabus

"no weapon formed against me shall prosper"

green sid

Spectator

33 posts

Thursday 6th September 2007 at 10:19

Hi Dean, I just wondered are you really experienced enough to run your own class. I see that you say you are a jujitsu black belt after three years of training - wow thats pretty good going. In the jujitsu class that I attend you can usually grade only every six months, you also say that you havent trained for a while, maybe you should get back on the mat and brush up on techniques and theory first.

Andy MMA

Spectator

14 posts

Thursday 6th September 2007 at 14:37

Hi Dean,

Before you go and open up your own school, do you think it would be a good idea to go to some other schools to see what standard they are at and how you compare?

Too many schools nowadays are selling black belts! What I mean by that is some schools will pass you in a grading just for turning up and getting on the mat!

To be a credible instructor you need to have knowledge and experience! If what you said is correct, you will have been doing the senior syllabus for less than a year, this is not enough time to gain anywhere near the knowledge and experience you need to instruct others.

Train Hard

Mobstarr

Spectator

45 posts

Friday 7th September 2007 at 17:52

Well I'm 19 aswell and a black belt in ju-jitsu which took me 13 years to get!! I'be just started teaching my own class, why don't you try and 'latch on' to another club as an instrctor and gain experience and from what i've seen running a club seems an awful lot of hassle!!

"Its not the chances we get in life, its what we do with them that matters"

2nd Dan Traditional Ju-Jitsu (Kensho Ryu & Kano Bushi Ryu)

"In the shadows, waiting for my time..."

www.pmaa.co.uk

inch-high

Spectator

4 posts

Sunday 9th September 2007 at 01:32

hi all i trained with terry hodgson i think his last name is he da 3rd best in da country and i taught them and appeared in magazines im being honest if ne1 wud like to help me plzz

Davies1978

Spectator

20 posts

Sunday 9th September 2007 at 15:09

Dude I trained really hard in Karate for many years and attained a reasonable level, we graded rarely and it took 5 years to get to first kyu yet In my old association they would only let you help the instructor out untill you had gained teaching experience. It's one thing to be able to perform a technique another to teach it. Maybe get a job as an assistant for a year you are only 19 whats the rush. Dude if it's about money then get a telesales job or something you will make more and thats not what budo should be about. However if you are truly genuine then good luck bein a teacher of anything is bloody hard work. Me forever the student!!!

I like pies

Andy MMA

Spectator

14 posts

Monday 10th September 2007 at 13:22

How do you come to the conclusion Terry Hodgeson is the best in the country?? To be honest, an instructor who allows students to gain 1st Dan when they have trained for less than 3 years isn't a good instructor! Sounds like he is a good business man...selling blackbelts.

Train Hard

inch-high

Spectator

4 posts

Monday 10th September 2007 at 14:20

no seriously he is da 3rd best at jujitsu in the country he 8th dan abd he sed i have the potential to be great plz dont undermine my acheivement i really worked hard to get 2 a 2nd dan sorri if it sounds untrue but i knmo the facts and im doin it for me and no1 else

von k

Spectator

30 posts

Monday 10th September 2007 at 15:41

So correct me if I am wrong, you are a jujitsu 2nd Dan after three years of training. It took me eight years to reach my first dan ju jitsu. I dont know of anyone else ever achieving their second dan after only three years of training so I say you are either very talented or full of s--t. Personally I think its the latter, however prove me wrong.

Work hard, train hard, play hard.

Andy MMA

Spectator

14 posts

Monday 10th September 2007 at 17:01

Who did your instructor get his 8th dan from?

This is exactly why martial arts need to be regulated by a third party! Too many schools are opening with instructors who have no idea! They give black belts away too easy and this gives their students a false sence of security.

I don't want to dis your shcool or your instructor, but try going to a school where the second dan's have been training for 10 years or so. You will shocked by their knowledge, skill and technical ability. I have no doubt you will be very disappointed in your achievement to date!

Train Hard

inch-high

Spectator

4 posts

Monday 10th September 2007 at 17:21

okies i understand wot yall mean maybe i did have an instructor hu gives belts away but i appeared in magazines n that n ive bin to japan 2wice for comps but ill take all ure critiscism as constructive non the less ty all

Mobstarr

Spectator

45 posts

Monday 10th September 2007 at 21:08

Just a thought but haven't you gotta tarin for at least two years between first and second dan? thats the way it works at my club anyway!

"Its not the chances we get in life, its what we do with them that matters"

2nd Dan Traditional Ju-Jitsu (Kensho Ryu & Kano Bushi Ryu)

"In the shadows, waiting for my time..."

www.pmaa.co.uk

von k

Spectator

30 posts

Monday 10th September 2007 at 21:34

Cant you smell it?

Work hard, train hard, play hard.

Andy MMA

Spectator

14 posts

Wednesday 12th September 2007 at 16:42

BullS##t you mean?

Train Hard

Bryce Doherty

Spectator

10 posts

Monday 17th September 2007 at 10:00

I agree with the latter, I have trained for 3 years to run through my colours in traditional JJ and I expect to train for at least 1.5 - 2 years for 1st Dan.

I have dreamt of opening my own school, doing more real time based combat in my sylabus, but I would never put that in to action until I had many years intensive experience, and new the business side also!

"Shear blunt trauma, followed by technical form!"