Back to forum

Woman beginner in bjj

Author Comments

bjjmama

Spectator

12 posts

Thursday 6th September 2007 at 07:53

I'm in my 40's and I want to know what to expect of myself, as a beginner. And on the days when I'm not in class what training should I be doing, cause the following day after working out I sore and tired.

green sid

Spectator

33 posts

Thursday 6th September 2007 at 10:25

Hi, its always important to have a good warm down/stretch after each session. Dont push yourself too hard at first gradually work your way into it. Remember to keep up your fluid intake. Just my pennys worth and good luck.

Robsco

1319 posts

Thursday 6th September 2007 at 12:23

If your muscles are sore the day after, that means you didn't stretch enough, concentrate on stretching the muscles that usually ache. Hold each stretch for 8-10 seconds.

The Admin Guy

Mobstarr

Spectator

45 posts

Friday 7th September 2007 at 17:55

Lots of fluids, stretching, warming and cooling down. I get a bit of hassle from my knees and muscle supports have worked a treat for me!

"Its not the chances we get in life, its what we do with them that matters"

2nd Dan Traditional Ju-Jitsu (Kensho Ryu & Kano Bushi Ryu)

"In the shadows, waiting for my time..."

www.pmaa.co.uk

ninja9578

Regular

92 posts

Saturday 8th September 2007 at 04:22

I should add, however, that it is possible to over-stretch muscles. Go slow and don't expect to be doing splits for months or years down the line.

Days that you're not in class, just stretch or practice some of your techniques in the air (reason I wish BJJ had forms.) I stretch while watching television, it makes an hour of stretching go by in no time.

Blue Belt - Gracie JJ
3rd Degree Black Belt - Shorin Ryu
Red Belt w/ two stripes - Soo Bahk Do

bjjmama

Spectator

12 posts

Monday 10th September 2007 at 21:04

Thanks for the advice. I'm sure I'll have more questions as I progress in the sport.

Bryce Doherty

Spectator

10 posts

Monday 17th September 2007 at 10:12

As a general guide, never warm up with static stretches immediately. The muscle fibres can become strained and are unready for such tension.

Dynamic stretches (slow movements through the full range of motion) - are the most appropriate exercises for warming up. Static stretches are more appropriate for the cool down.

"Shear blunt trauma, followed by technical form!"

Graciu

Spectator

5 posts

Thursday 27th September 2007 at 23:39

My advice is that next day after training rest... Of course right after training stretch but probably your coach is doing some stretching so just listen to him. It is normal that next day after training you are a bit sore its not chess or scrabble its fighting, eventually you will get used to it. Actually I am always sore next day but trainings at my academy are quite hard so its normal. If you really want to train something besides bjj then I think swimming is good, relaxing. If you train too much then It wont be fun any more and I assume you do it for fun. Good luck with your training.

"Mind is like parachute... It's better when it's open..." Rickson Gracie