Back to forum

First Tournament

Author Comments

bjjmama

Spectator

12 posts

Wednesday 12th September 2007 at 01:20

Hi everyone. A tournament is coming up in my area and my class mates including my instructor is encouraging me to go. I've only been in class maybe 4 weeks, I really don't understand why they want me to go when I'm so new at this. I don't even know what to expect. I haven't even been punched before. What do you all think?

ninja9578

Regular

92 posts

Wednesday 12th September 2007 at 02:12

By your name I'm guessing you do brazillian ju jitsu? That's a grappling tournament, you won't get punched. If you're a good grappler and thrower than I would recommend going.

Blue Belt - Gracie JJ
3rd Degree Black Belt - Shorin Ryu
Red Belt w/ two stripes - Soo Bahk Do

green sid

Spectator

33 posts

Wednesday 12th September 2007 at 08:17

After only four weeks of training it may be a little early, but if your coach thinks you are ok and you are up against other beginners then it may be a good experience.Maybe just go along and support your club mates,I'm sure there will be more competitions come along when you have a bit more training under your belt. Good luck.

andy

Resident

729 posts

Friday 14th September 2007 at 13:46

where do you train? and which tournament?

"no weapon formed against me shall prosper"

bjjmama

Spectator

12 posts

Wednesday 10th October 2007 at 19:30

Hi Andy, I train at Auburn Family Tae Kwon Do Studio in Auburn, California. And what I found out is that the ternament is being hosted by my school in February.

ninja9578

Regular

92 posts

Thursday 11th October 2007 at 15:22

Tae Kwon Do?

That's a very different kind of tournament, all standup. The rules will depend on the kind of school, if it's an olympic TKD style then it will be a lot of hard kicking, but you probably won't get hurt. If it's a self defense school then it's a better combo of hands and feet, but punches to the head are illegal.

Blue Belt - Gracie JJ

bjjmama

Spectator

12 posts

Saturday 13th October 2007 at 16:47

Sorry for the confusion. The school teaches Tae Kwon Do, Ju Jitsu and they have Mix Martial Arts class. I'm going to participate in the Ju Jitsu. And I don't know if you read about my injury, but I pulled a hamstrig, its healing well and I'm doing some stregth training on it, but any suggestion to get me up to full capacity would be much appreciated. bjjmama

ninja9578

Regular

92 posts

Monday 15th October 2007 at 17:31

Do very light stretching after weight training on it, and none before.

Also don't go to the tournament.

Blue Belt - Gracie JJ

Prof. Akers

Spectator

15 posts

Tuesday 16th October 2007 at 19:32

Don't do it, stand up and say no, you've all the time in the world when you are fit.
I hate it when pressure is put on new students to fight (get them blooded), if you get seriously whacked you'll get gunshy, if you win you'll underestimate how hard it is.

bjjmama

Spectator

12 posts

Wednesday 17th October 2007 at 03:38

Thanks for the advice guys. bjjmama