Back to forum

juji gatame

Author Comments

thayrea

Spectator

31 posts

Sunday 23rd December 2007 at 17:05

I was sparring with a mate and he managed to put me into the juji gatame, I had to tap as I couldn't get out of it. It's the sort of lock I would love to use but Ive been thinking this past week and I can't for the life of me figure out how to escape it. thanks for any help and happy christmas to everyone.

know your limits

Mobstarr

Spectator

45 posts

Monday 24th December 2007 at 18:56

Its really hard to describe an escape in words perhaps somebody has a way with words better than i do, my advice though is be wary of giving a straight arm when grappling, its an open invitation for a juji!

"Its not the chances we get in life, its what we do with them that matters"

2nd Dan Traditional Ju-Jitsu (Kensho Ryu & Kano Bushi Ryu)

"In the shadows, waiting for my time..."

www.pmaa.co.uk

thayrea

Spectator

31 posts

Tuesday 25th December 2007 at 11:23

cheers I've been on some other forms and in hindsight it's not the best move to ask for help over the internet.

know your limits

spider

Regular

235 posts

Friday 28th December 2007 at 20:05

Best block, no be there.

It might be hard to get out of, but it's hard not to telegraph a 'juji' or armbar or cross arm lock as other people may know it.

There are very simple techniques, such as twisting sharply towards them as they sit back to get your elbow out, gripping your own arms/hands/sleeves can make it a pain long enough for you to work on twisting your way round.

If it's your right arm for example, you may be able to fling your legs to your left and roll left to that you end up in a straight line with them instead of the usual T shape, allowing you to follow through and twist out.

To be honest, I've never had trouble escaping the transition to juji, my opponents have always been loose and telegraphed, the best way to escape a lock is to not let them get one on. I'll let you know if I return to training and learn anymore.