Back to forum

Eating right when training in a MA

Author Comments

M

Spectator

4 posts

Sunday 13th April 2008 at 13:55

Hi ...new to the forum, so appoligies if this has been covered.

Just wondering what kind of diets everyone that trains (primaraly in a MA) have?

....I train in ju-jitsu and the club really ephasise increasing fitness level on every grading/belt. So i was thinking of altering my diet and going swimming to boost my fitness and health?

what you guys recon... any suggestions?

thanks

GaryJA

Spectator

7 posts

Sunday 13th April 2008 at 21:21

if your doing extra cardio training to improve fitness, you will need to eat the write amount of carbs so you have the required energy levels to exercise otherwise you'll feel exhausted. also eat plenty of protein... or take protein supplements (whey protein shakes) to repair and rebuild your muscles. low fat of course.

rice, pasta, eggs, fish, tuna, nuts, chicken are all good. and porride oats in the morning.

drink lots of water also,

let me know what you think.

puertorican_fighter

Spectator

15 posts

Sunday 13th April 2008 at 23:56

i just ate steamed rice n chicken... made me go take a poop lol

your greatest enemy will always be, YOURSELF

0lliez0rz

Spectator

7 posts

Wednesday 30th April 2008 at 21:21

For an energy filled day I always start theday off with a good old bowl of... CERIALL!
Try not to eat before you train, and always warm up before you start. I'd recommend energy bars for light snacks in the day and at dinner rice or a potato or something.. NOT CHIPS THOUGH.

(: hope that helps!

" Devils don't sleep - They watch you sleep "

ninja9578

Regular

92 posts

Thursday 1st May 2008 at 15:58

Go running before you eat breakfast, that will burn the most carbs because of the way that your metabolism works. You don't have to go far during that run, maybe only a few miles. Maybe do a longer run (10 or 12 miles) on weekends.

Blue Belt - Gracie JJ
3rd Degree Black Belt - Shorin Ryu
Red Belt w/ two stripes - Soo Bahk Do

M

Spectator

4 posts

Friday 16th May 2008 at 07:16

thanks for the replies.

...im not much of a running man. More like swimming. With the running... should i vary my speed? or should i run/jog at one pace?

Just doing press ups and sit up every day.. good enough to build muscle? or weights is the only way to go?

spider

Regular

235 posts

Friday 16th May 2008 at 16:54

Since you're not a runner, I suggest some research. Runner's World have a web site, filled with running programs for beginners, the majority of which do not require a subscription. Pick a plan that best suits you.

As for muscle training, it depends what type of muscle you want, and who you listen to. Your local library may well have some sports nutrition and muscle developement books, and book shops certainly will have.