Back to forum

Adrenaline !!!!

Author Comments

Mickrick

Spectator

20 posts

Monday 15th September 2008 at 00:09

Hi all, Ime a newbie to this but have been following this site for quite some time and find it to be one of the best! My main concern is 'adrenaline dump' all the training goes out the window in street situation, how do you control this!!!

Robsco

1319 posts

Monday 15th September 2008 at 00:12

The same thing used to happen to me in competition, the moment the fight starts I used to forget just about every single technique.

Practice is key, and I'm sure the more competitions you do, will help prepare you for any "street" situations you may be unfortunate to find yourself in.

The Admin Guy

Mickrick

Spectator

20 posts

Monday 15th September 2008 at 00:23

Thanks for the quick reply Robsco, starting training again tomorow night after lay off(injury) and really looking forward to it!

Mickrick

Spectator

20 posts

Monday 15th September 2008 at 00:24

Thanks for the quick reply Robsco, starting training again tomorow night after lay off(injury) and really looking forward to it!

spider

Regular

235 posts

Tuesday 16th September 2008 at 17:15

Yes, drills drills drills.

Personally, I enjoy them, but also nothing is more valuable that programming your mind and body through constant repetition of a technique.

Varying according to technique and person, you may need 247 repeats, you may need 4323, but eventually you will become so used to performing a technique, you can do it without thinking about it.

Mickrick

Spectator

20 posts

Tuesday 16th September 2008 at 22:02

Cheers Spider, I wish I had found JJ 20 plus years ago though, I love the grappling side of BJJ also, but I sure know about it the next couple of days!!

Alansmurf

Spectator

21 posts

Wednesday 17th September 2008 at 20:52

No answer to the "dump" drill and drill some more is good advice...4886 times is a good figure LOL!!
If you recognize the adrenaline dump try to harness it early ..

regards

Smurf

Smurf

Mickrick

Spectator

20 posts

Wednesday 17th September 2008 at 22:29

Thanks for the advice Smurf, I suffer with this quite bad and have read articles on 'gross motor' techniques and using mental triggers etc but it really cheeses me off!

Alansmurf

Spectator

21 posts

Sunday 5th October 2008 at 09:35

Mick ... dont sweat it too much the more you train the less the adreniline dump will affect you ...
but beware of it for real ...is i a red mist or total loss of control ?

regards

Smurf

Smurf

Mickrick

Spectator

20 posts

Sunday 5th October 2008 at 23:54

Thanks Alan..when I train or within my comfort zone I am quite 'effecient' and hold my own...but when out of my comfort zone for example an agressive drunken idiot 'kicks off' I find nerves take over and a massive energy sap WHY. In a controlled situation I am confident he would be no problem!

Alansmurf

Spectator

21 posts

Tuesday 7th October 2008 at 00:01

Mick it sounds like a large adrenaline dump ....its normal we all get it ....some of us like it !!!

Learn to accept it , use it to your advantage ....

Regards

Smurf

Smurf

Mickrick

Spectator

20 posts

Tuesday 7th October 2008 at 00:24

Cheers Smurf...any idea where I could get hold of any old mats for home use? Thanks once again..

Alansmurf

Spectator

21 posts

Tuesday 7th October 2008 at 06:47

Mick ....gold dust is easier to find .....

If it is do rolling break falls and light throws then get a few layers of old carpet,,,this will help your technique improve very quickly

Regards

Smurf

Smurf