729 posts

Thursday 9th October 2008 at 17:34

www.andyrobertsbjj.com

Thoughts please

"no weapon formed against me shall prosper"

Robsco

1319 posts

Thursday 9th October 2008 at 18:40

Your main page font isn't very clear, use Arial or Verdana instead of Times.

Apart from that, very good, prefer the new colour scheme.

The Admin Guy

Alansmurf

Spectator

21 posts

Thursday 9th October 2008 at 23:13

Andy good site ...

Say hi to Nick Brooks from Smurf

regards

Alan

Smurf

andy

Resident

729 posts

Friday 10th October 2008 at 15:46

it is in arial

Robsco

1319 posts

Saturday 11th October 2008 at 23:43

It's not in Arial or Verdana, it's hard/annoying to read the content.

UJJ is based in Verdana, surely you can see the difference?

The Admin Guy

andy

Resident

729 posts

Monday 13th October 2008 at 14:56

it is arial. at least thats what it says in the font menu that i selected.

monkeynuts

Spectator

15 posts

Thursday 16th October 2008 at 14:38

Hi Andy,

Site looks ok visually. When I click on the hyper linked words at the left of the screen they obviously bring up relevant information but the address in the http/ at the top remains the same. Has the site got several pages or is something else going on? Also if you want the site to rank high with our friends 'Google' then there are a few other things that you can do. I can give you a few tips that I learnt when doing my own website that I managed to rank on page 1, 4 from the top.

andy

Resident

729 posts

Thursday 16th October 2008 at 15:42

site has several pages.

any tips to improve google ranking are greatly appreciated.

monkeynuts

Spectator

15 posts

Thursday 16th October 2008 at 16:49

1. Have you submitted the url to google? If not go to google.co.uk and type 'in submit my url to google' and there are step by step instructions on how to do this.

2. You need to have more relevent text that is associated with what you expect possible customers to be searching for i.e BJJ, Brazillian jiu jitsu, your area and so on. Google is looking for well written text of minimum 500 words that, in your case should contain BJJ, all about BJJ, Gracie and so on. Without over doing it of course because you will be penalised for spamming. Also creating a couple of hyperlinks on keywords that take visitors to other parts of the site.

3. The title of each of your pages is Andy Roberts BJJ, this is too short. This title is crucial because if you have noticed when you type a search into the google search box it usually finds those keywords in someones title of their page. Example - go to google, type in 'monkey tennis' the number 1 on google has 'monkey tennis' in its title as the first 2 words. So your home page needs something like this 'Gracie Brazilian jiu jitsu by Andy Roberts' (it needs to make sense too)

4. Each page needs a different title but keep the keywords just re arrange them, example - on the 'about Andy' page use 'BJJ in Farnborough by Andy Roberts' Every page needs to have a different title.

5. Keywords. At the moment your keywords are as follows - "andy roberts brazilian jiu jitsu ADCC submission wrestling bjj gracie andy roberts brazilian jiu jitsu ADCC submission wrestling bjj gracie andy roberts brazilian jiu jitsu ADCC submission wrestling bjj gracie andy roberts brazilian jiu jitsu ADCC submission wrestling bjj gracie andy roberts brazilian jiu jitsu ADCC submission wrestling bjj gracie andy roberts brazilian jiu jitsu ADCC submission wrestling bjj gracie"

This is not good and the google bot that will crawl your site will see repeated words and throw you very low on any related searches. Use words and phrases like this 'BJJ, brazilian jiujitsu, ju jitsu, gracie acadamy farnborough, grappling, and so on. Remember some people(like me) can't spell.

6. Lastly, once your site is submitted to google and the needed changes have been made it can take 3 months for the position to change. My site (a conservatory based site) was uploaded to google it ranked on page 12 until I made the changes. Once the changes were made it took 2-3 months to get to page 4 then another 2 months to get to page 1 where it has stayed and all the ranking work I did myself and it cost me nothing, good luck Andy

andy

Resident

729 posts

Thursday 16th October 2008 at 16:57

cool thanks for that.

If you search bjj farnborough i don't do too bad on the google rankings

monkeynuts

Spectator

15 posts

Thursday 16th October 2008 at 17:04

Yes you are up there but look at the top of the list efnsports.com has bjj farnborough in its title

andy

Resident

729 posts

Thursday 16th October 2008 at 17:42

because that is a link to a thread on efnsport's forum about my club

monkeynuts

Spectator

15 posts

Thursday 16th October 2008 at 17:49

I know what you are saying but your site should top. Go to the espn page at the top of google right click it select 'view source' The title clearly proves my point, anyway just trying to help, good luck

Macaroon

Spectator

2 posts

Friday 17th October 2008 at 21:32

And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger, those who atempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is Macaroon, when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

monkeynuts

Spectator

15 posts

Friday 17th October 2008 at 21:38

Who/what is purdy?

Robsco

1319 posts

Sunday 19th October 2008 at 00:13

Andy, email me for SEO (search engine optimisation) tips, obviously I have plenty since I work in the business, not too keen on sending this out to the whole forum tho since this is how I make my own money.

Make sure you've got Google Analytics on your pages first (simply means putting some tags at the bottom of each page) so you can see how your changes affect your ranking.

The Admin Guy

andy

Resident

729 posts

Sunday 19th October 2008 at 21:17

i have analytics installed already

Rickson Gracie

36 posts

Monday 10th November 2008 at 23:29

Andy, your webshite leettle bit sheet. You might want take Robsco advice. He know what he doing in web. I know what I doing in ring. You not know what you doing anywhere. Be good, take advice.

*1995 Vale Tudo champion*
*BJJ Daddy*
*General all round Badass*

ejharte

Spectator

23 posts

Wednesday 17th June 2009 at 12:21

i like it

Smile, it makes your teeth feel special.