Back to forum

goju

Author Comments

ginge

Spectator

4 posts

Tuesday 10th March 2009 at 15:59

is goju worth taking up ive been looking in to ju jitsu but there are no clubs in my local area. from what i can gather goju does focus on some throws and joint work whilst main focus on hard and soft techniques. so i am concidering this as an altenrative. any thoughts

spider

Regular

235 posts

Wednesday 11th March 2009 at 18:07

I've no idea what that is, but surely something is better than nothing?

spider

Regular

235 posts

Wednesday 11th March 2009 at 18:19

Ok, so now I've looked it up. Turns out I'm an optimist.

It looks like a complete waste of time and you'd become a better fighter attending a dance class. The moves are just as effective, you'll burn more calories and you won't get a the potentially dangerous idea that you know how to defend yourself.

There appears to be a plethora of martial arts in Eastbourne if you can get there, including Krav Maga and kickboxing. If you can't then there is a Bexhill Judo Club, which is much closer to jujitsu than goju.

ginge

Spectator

4 posts

Thursday 12th March 2009 at 16:22

cheers for taking the time to have a look. you've re-assured me in what i was thinking. since the original posted i have taken the step to take up kickboxing at a local club for fitness and self-defence.( this club also has self-defence bbj and mma classes so will see where it takes me i really wasnt sold on the idea of a lot of kata.

ginge

Spectator

4 posts

Thursday 12th March 2009 at 16:26

out of interest is there any way i can check out if a club is any good before joining as i dont what to get fuckt in the wallet. and would a good club focus on technique rather that fitness ( leaving it to you to sort fitness levels)

spider

Regular

235 posts

Thursday 12th March 2009 at 19:53

Every club I've ever been to, including kickboxing, has allowed students to attend usually a minimum of two lessons before expecting you to join the club/association that will then cover them for insurance and allow you to grade. Some clubs are more lenient than others when it comes to joining.

A good club will focus on both conditioning and techniques. A lot of obese traditionalists will constantly talk a good technique, but if you lack conditioning you will never be a good at defending yourself, or running away if it goes wrong. Don't get me wrong, quality of technique is important, but everyone is rubbish at fighting when they're tired.
The reason you're asking is either you're an olympic athlete and worried about wasting their time with conditioning, or you're a gym dodger that is scared of a bit of hard graft.
Olympions don't worry, you'll be doing movements/exercises you're not used to and will be challenging still, and you're ability will be recognised by you're instructor and you will be progressed quickly.
If you're the gym dodger, kickboxing is going to hurt. It's going to tough, hot and sweaty, but hopefully fun in it's challenge. The quickest way to get better at anything is to train your weakest points.

The unfit traditionalist that believes in the 'more tools for the box' idea of technique gathering will be a tubby walking encyclopedia of martial arts knowledge that would easily be whooped by a newbie boxer or wrestler that is fit and has been sparring and training hard the past couple of months.

ginge

Spectator

4 posts

Thursday 12th March 2009 at 21:00

im not an olypian by any means you could call me gym doger of sorts only on the basis i have'nt been to a gym for years mainly because i have a physical job. im just trying to get an understanding of what a good club should cover. i have a mate who does kick boxing who pay around £60 per mth to train but his club does 1hr fitness 30 mins technique to me that don't sound right surely a good balance of each is needed with gym trips and bag practice on top in spare time out side of classes

spider

Regular

235 posts

Tuesday 17th March 2009 at 10:28

I can see what you're thinking. Even though you understand that cardio work is possibly the most important thing to a boxer, it would be far more cost effective if only did techniques and sparring in class. Being perfectly able to beast yourself in a gym or pounding pavement without having to pay and hourly rate for the privalige.
It's up to you, and your choice will be a balance of the club with the attitude you like, and the clubs that are available. Some people need the class to have someone to push them to exercise, some people don't, and some people need weight watchers.