Back to forum

Sparring question

Author Comments

jamesecho1

Spectator

1 posts

Tuesday 5th May 2009 at 09:02

I've just started bjj.

I just wanted to know, if you are sparring with someone do you prefer to get on top in a mount or to get on your back and put them into your guard?

Thanks

Trev

Spectator

9 posts

Tuesday 5th May 2009 at 12:14

The mount is best as you have more mobility for finnish's and more power in your punch's for ground and pound.

spider

Regular

235 posts

Tuesday 5th May 2009 at 18:25

Well it all depends, doesn't it?
Depending on the person, or in order for the match to progress I'd often pull guard instead of constantly trying to bully for top position.

Technically the mount is a more dominant postition, but if you're sparring, sometimes the more valuable lessons can be learnt from purposely practising from less advantageous positions

Robsco

1319 posts

Tuesday 5th May 2009 at 18:29

The guard may also be an easier option for beginners, "pulling guard" is easier than trying to gain, and more importantly, maintain the mount.

The Admin Guy

spider

Regular

235 posts

Tuesday 5th May 2009 at 20:19

Maybe 'cos the more experienced guys know that you can't submit them without telegraphing and your guard is easier to pass than an invalid carrier?

Trev

Spectator

9 posts

Wednesday 6th May 2009 at 09:45

Yes when learning and practicing in the club, it's better to test yourself by putting yourself in a lesser position and then trying to move to a more advantages one. Having the confidence and knowledge that you can turn any bad position, or situation you find your self in, to your advantage is very important.

cminmd

Spectator

1 posts

Friday 15th May 2009 at 00:47

My son is new to bjj and he is always sent home to practice. I have no idea if he is doing it right when he asks me questions. Does anyone know a good website or book that shows the forms he needs to practice for his yellow belt, or it different everywhere?

spider

Regular

235 posts

Friday 15th May 2009 at 13:21

Eh? Are you sure? Who is he supposed to practise on and where? How can that be safe?
Does his instructor wear spurs?

Robsco

1319 posts

Friday 15th May 2009 at 17:55

Sounds more like a kata/forms question

The Admin Guy

spider

Regular

235 posts

Saturday 16th May 2009 at 14:27

I didn't realise BJJ had that stuff

Robsco

1319 posts

Saturday 16th May 2009 at 16:33

Good point, thought it was a question posted in the wrong thread, then saw bjj mentioned. odd.

There's a few drills ya can do on your own tho, even if you're simply going through the motions of the techniques.

The Admin Guy