Back to forum

Full time work and Ju-Jitsu

Author Comments

mimo28

Spectator

1 posts

Saturday 25th July 2009 at 06:09

Hi Guys,

I am 28 years old work full time and train JuJitsu once a week, Kickboxing once a week and weight training once a week.

I seem to have a problem getting fit every time I do JuJitsu I push myself hard and do all rounds of wrestling usually 5 x 5 min rounds. However usually after the first round my energy is all used up and I feel really exhausted and can barely make the next 4 rounds.

I am in a profession (Information Technology) where I have to constantly think all the time and get tired mentally at the end of each day.

I am wondering if anyone else works full-time in a profession, has troubles with stamina and fatigue and can share their experiences.

I feel like I am wasting my time with all these classes cause my cardio levels are not getting anywhere.

Am I overtraining ? Should I take a different approach ?

Thanks

mccauley

Spectator

20 posts

Saturday 25th July 2009 at 18:41

hey dude im only 11 im called mccauley and i do jujitsu im not a pro but on the first few 2-3 roundsjust dodge then on the last 2 push as hard as you can, just the oppisite + space your training and try enargy drinks (typo) that minght help

fists are your best wepon(screw brass knuckels)

domn8

Spectator

15 posts

Saturday 25th July 2009 at 19:06

grappling is hard work like nothing else, so dont be down on yourself for being knackered. ditch the weights and do soem training that hits both your muscles and cardio. Google kettlebells and if you dont have one substitute dumbells

spider

Regular

235 posts

Sunday 26th July 2009 at 12:22

First of all, well done for realising you need to improve your fitness.
I understand the frustration of feeling that you're wasting money and other people's time as well as your own. You'll still be wasting it if you dodge people for half the class. Certainly if you're a beginner and gasing out, I'd try to pick your attacks more methodically, pace yourself, and not fight your opponent head on.

If you're tired all the time, not making any gains in fitness, and possibly even getting weaker in your weight training, those are all sure signs of over training. If that's the case you need to look at your sleeping habits, eating habits, and possibly seek the advice of a health professional or trainer. Being either underweight, overweight or a caffeine and nicotine addict won't help. Oh yeah, and drink in moderation, I guess you might as well have seen your doctor.

Are you recovering fine, and would like to train more? Then kettlebells would be an extremely good idea, and after a moderately expensive starting price, they'll last forever (as long as you don't start too small and out grow them quickly). Basically, kettlebell swinging is a form of interval training, which is most beneficial cardio training for fighters conditioning. However, if you have no fitness what so ever (i.e. can't run for 30mins), you will be better off starting with 15mins moderate cardio and building up both intensity and time. Once you reach 45mins of fairly high intensity cardio, break out the bells. If you commit to this it should only take 6 weeks, dependant on your original fitness.

Sorry for such a vague and long answer, but I need more information from you to be of more help.
Plus, stay away from sugar and energy drinks, unless you're an experienced athlete taking part in an endurance event of over an hour, it won't help you. Chances are you'll give yourself a quick buzz and then crash and burn in the middle of your sparring session, which is no fun at all.

Mr.Tibbs

Spectator

1 posts

Tuesday 2nd February 2010 at 17:27

the weight training will be no good to on a once a week basis either unless you want to burn a few calories. you`ll need to do it at least every 72 hrs to gain strength from it .

mikeyBoab

Spectator

36 posts

Friday 12th February 2010 at 10:31

What an interesting post - I was feeling exactly the same way last night. We were doing mat wrestling and I got pinned by a white belt - okay, he's a rugby player, but I was just exhausted and couldn't fight back!

Spider your post is full of great ideas, thanks very much - I think I need to give more thought to my sleeping patterns, recovery is essential, I agree.