Back to forum

Typical BJJ lesson.

Author Comments

Nathan

Addict

175 posts

Tuesday 18th January 2005 at 20:26

I'll just stick with my plain, white, TJJ one. Would feel a prat getting choked out in a $130 gi... ;-)

Robsco

1319 posts

Tuesday 18th January 2005 at 23:37

I can't remember any politics I've seen whilst training BJJ at 3 different clubs in the UK.

Patches has nowt to do with it, although turning up to your first class with a zillion patches 'may' kinda give the impression you've been training for years.

Just turn up in whatever you feel comfortable with, don't try to blend in, just enjoy it! That's why everyone does it in the first place.

The Admin Guy

Dave

Addict

183 posts

Tuesday 25th January 2005 at 16:48

Making Assumptions is something we should all avoid.

If i walk into a class with my gi covered in patches it shouldnt make a difference at all. It just means i like a gi full of patches and that i'm handy with a needle and thread, it doesnt and shouldnt give the impression that ive been training for ages.

The reason i mentioned the BS and politics is because certain people dont like you turning up to their class wearing rival patches for instance Gracies dont like you wearing Brazilian top team patches at seminars and classes etc which is sad! I can train where i want and in what i want. Just like no one can tell you what jeans or shoes to wear. That in my eyes is BS.

Never make assumptions in life it only leads to trouble and misconceptions.

Postman Pat, Postman Pat, Post

andy

Resident

729 posts

Tuesday 25th January 2005 at 19:38

its not politics its loyalty, if you were a football cadet would you turn up at a man utd training session with a man city shirt on?

"no weapon formed against me shall prosper"

steve

Resident

217 posts

Wednesday 26th January 2005 at 12:35

IMO for what its worth....

If attending an open seminar or club training session, then it should be expected that attendees may be from other organisations and therefore it should not be an issue. In delivering an open seminar you are offering to teach anyone who attends on equal basis regardless of their affiliation (providing of course they are not a thug who will misuse what is taught). They are paying their money just like anyone else.

Regularly attending a club as a club member however is different in that support for the club and its parent organisation is what keeps it going, promotes it and so brings in the cash.....no cash= no clubs =no Parent Organisation=no instruction=no benefits.

If a gracie club member, wear the gracie patches when club training. If attending an open seminar at another Organisation still wear your own club patches to indicate pride in where you come from and respect to your own teachers.

"Its not the size of the dog i

andy

Resident

729 posts

Wednesday 26th January 2005 at 19:31

agree with stev and i've never heard of a gracie objecting to someone wearing another clubs patch, hell some people dont even wear gis

roninjg

10 posts

Wednesday 26th January 2005 at 22:16

I've never experiance any problems with any BJJ instructor getting miffed because I've been wearing patches from another school.

In fact I have spoken to some of the biggest names in the sport about it (to name drop Rigan & Roger Machado, Royce, Rorion, Renner & Ryron Gracie). They all said the same thing which is that it all came from the same place and most of them are related.

I really dont theink they give a monkey what your wearing as long as your training and helping the sport grow.

Dave

Addict

183 posts

Friday 28th January 2005 at 23:27

I would wear any type of kit to go to training andy, even city gear to a man u training session. If a person turns up to training, member or no member then they should be allowed to wear what they want as long as its suitable to train in and with whatever patches or badges on they want. The us and them syndrome regarding the patches and our club their club is BS. :-)

Dave

Addict

183 posts

Friday 28th January 2005 at 23:32

And i 100% agree with ronin its about helping the sport and art grow. Also its about helping eachothergrow. Not BS and politics like the majority of other arts.:-)

crazymofo55

Regular

41 posts

Sunday 30th January 2005 at 18:47

Gis, symbols, belts, it's all meaningless. Any place that really takes worry about these things are petty and probably a joke anyway.

andy

Resident

729 posts

Monday 31st January 2005 at 19:50

it is not bull, its loyalty and respect, i never said you wouldnt be allowed to wear it, you can wear what you want, but if you train regularly at a club and want a patch on your gi, you should get your clubs patch out of a sign of respect to your instructor. As a student you represent your instructor whilst training and/or competing, why would you wear another instructors patch?
Dave, if you played for england would you wear another countries kit?

Dave

Addict

183 posts

Wednesday 2nd February 2005 at 13:59

No Andy i wouldnt wear any other strip if i was playing for England. But i would wear a patch on my Gi if it was really smart and i liked it regardless of if it didn't belong to my instructor or club.
If the instructor gets offended then its very petty. The fact that im there training with or under that person is where the real mark of respect lies.

andy

Resident

729 posts

Wednesday 2nd February 2005 at 18:07

i found that last post a little contradictory, what if you loved Brazil's strip, would you wear it when playing for england?

sl

Resident

855 posts

Wednesday 2nd February 2005 at 18:11

My view for what its worth guys is if your part of a club and you fight for the club you should wear the team colours so to speak.

I dont think any instructor would be bothered if you turned up with a "rivals" patch on but i do think if your going to fight out of a club you shouldnt wear a rivals badge. Its like playing for Man U wearing a liverpool Kit.........................:-X;-)

Robsco

1319 posts

Wednesday 2nd February 2005 at 19:53

Exactly! No-one really cares what you're wearing, but it is obviously nice to show some respect to your instructor(s), your club, and your organisation.

The Admin Guy

andy

Resident

729 posts

Thursday 3rd February 2005 at 18:53

my point exactly

Dave

Addict

183 posts

Thursday 3rd February 2005 at 20:26

This could go on for ever!

No Andy it wasnt contradictory at all. Playing for your country aint equivalent to going to open jiu jitsu seminars and training in jiu jitsu, therefore my point aint contradictory. If you read my posts you will find i was talking about 'seminars' and 'training'! I believe 'fighting' for club and country is a different matter and therefore only club or country colours should be worn simply as an indication of who you train with and where your from!

I'll say again that i think what you wear during 'training' and 'seminars' is your business as long as its suitable for the type of training your participating in.

I'll also say this again that the fact your physically there training with a certain club under a certain instructor and learning from them is where the true mark of respect lies, not what stuff you have on your gi!;-)

Robsco

1319 posts

Thursday 3rd February 2005 at 21:07

It's a personal choice obviously, and personally, I'd prefer to wear the club 'colours' whether it's for a fight or just training, I personally like to show that loyalty to my instructor(s) and the guys I train with all the time and know where i 'belong', not just wear something cos it looks a bit prettier. :-O

The Admin Guy

sl

Resident

855 posts

Thursday 3rd February 2005 at 21:28

My last groan..... A big part of MA especially Ju Jitsu wether BJJ or TJJ is the CLUB part of it. I personally think you should wear your club colours / patches and if attending a seminar somewhere else be proud to wear them it is after all your club its not about respect for an instructor etc but for your club remember its the students that make 70% of any club.....

andy

Resident

729 posts

Friday 4th February 2005 at 10:05

you have a small club if the students only make up 70% of the club (or maybe a very large instructor) hahaha :-))