Back to forum

instructional dvd

Author Comments

rasper

2 posts

Thursday 8th December 2005 at 12:49

hi guys,
i've recently taken up ju jitsu as a form of self defense. What dvd would you recommend to compliment attending classes

sl

Resident

855 posts

Thursday 8th December 2005 at 13:20

Traditional or Brazilian?

rasper

2 posts

Thursday 8th December 2005 at 14:01

traditional

sl

Resident

855 posts

Thursday 8th December 2005 at 14:42

Haven't really seen that many instructionals Robert Clark of the World Ju Jitsu Association has some books out and a few Dvds. Got one of his books which is alright but don't really know of any others.

andy

Resident

729 posts

Friday 9th December 2005 at 20:04

dont have anything to do with bob clark

"no weapon formed against me shall prosper"

steve

Resident

217 posts

Saturday 10th December 2005 at 14:13

Take a look on website ukjjai.com

The video (not on DVD) for syllabus 'White Belt - Brown Belt' is excellent, in terms that it shows each technique at slow speed and at normal speed with full explanation in very easy to understand relaxed terms.

There is no ordering facility for the video other than to ring Allan Tattersall directly on 01706 525814 and organise to send him a cheque through the post....be warned however that Allan is a bit of a character with an extremely dry sense of humour, or if caught in an off mood can be a bit of an old git! However his knowledge of traditional jujitsu is excellent and well worth the experience.

I personnally trained to 2nd Dan in Allan's own club and learn a lot, as well as going to Japan with him.:-D

"Its not the size of the dog i

andy

Resident

729 posts

Saturday 10th December 2005 at 21:25

or just train more, dvds/books/videos are not worth it you cannot get all the details across, also do brazilian jiujitsu and judo, there is no need for traditional jujitsu with that combination, also box or thai box for some striking

sl

Resident

855 posts

Monday 12th December 2005 at 11:33

not recommending him just thats the only one i've ever bought apart from my old tjj club had own dvd .... but as already said nothing like actually training...:-D

Drunken Master

19 posts

Friday 16th December 2005 at 22:02

i agree with andy.... when i started ju jitsu i went out and bought every dvd and video i could find with the words ju jitsu on it - thinking i knew best - waste of casholA. dude, the dojo is your dvd

------------------------------

sl

Resident

855 posts

Friday 16th December 2005 at 22:25

Andy what is up with Bob Clarke by the way ?

andy

Resident

729 posts

Friday 16th December 2005 at 23:16

i am not at liberty to say

Robsco

1319 posts

Saturday 17th December 2005 at 13:24

In other words - He doesn't do BJJ. :-p

The Admin Guy

andy

Resident

729 posts

Monday 19th December 2005 at 17:02

alledgedly he ran off with lots of insurance money instead of sending it to the insurance company apparently

sl

Resident

855 posts

Monday 19th December 2005 at 17:08

Well if its true what a prat.. Is insurance expensive?

hojoguy

2 posts

Tuesday 28th March 2006 at 11:53

What absolute rubbish !!!

I've trained under Bob Clark for twenty years, and he is of the highest standards of honesty. In fact too high, hence we lose a few instructors along the way.

sl

Resident

855 posts

Wednesday 29th March 2006 at 12:04

Where do you lose them?:-p

Robsco

1319 posts

Tuesday 4th April 2006 at 22:08

Losing instructors surely doesn't mean the main instructor it TOO honest surely? I can't believe that for a second.

The Admin Guy

sl

Resident

855 posts

Thursday 6th April 2006 at 09:11

He never replied i reckon it was Mr Clarke in disguise!

Robsco

1319 posts

Thursday 6th April 2006 at 11:40

Does look a bit suss. :-p

The Admin Guy

spider

Regular

235 posts

Saturday 8th April 2006 at 15:30

I started a post about instructors slagging each other off a while back. The instructor mentioned was my daughters instructor, a red and white belt taught by Robert Clark. Just have a look at the techniques in Robert Clark's syllabus books, and you'll see why I lost interest in TJJ. My daughter has resently lost interest too. She liked the warm up, the drills and strike pads at the end of the class. It was the dance steps in the middle she didn't like.